Front derailleur Probs

Wisch5200

Jul 1, 2006
My front derailleur is touching my chain when I have the chain set on the inner chain ring of my 10spd double. Also the chain is on the 3rd gear in from the highest (smallest) Also, the chain is rubbing on the outermost side of the derailleur.

Which adjustment should I tweak to alleviate the rubbing?

Wisch5200 said:
My front derailleur is touching my chain when I have the chain set on the inner chain ring of my 10spd double. Also the chain is on the 3rd gear in from the highest (smallest) Also, the chain is rubbing on the outermost side of the derailleur.

Which adjustment should I tweak to alleviate the rubbing?

In all likelihood the front derailleur is properly adjusted. I don't know which groupo you have but there is most certainly a trim position you can use to elleviate the rubbing. Move the large lever slightly until you here the first click. This should move the FD enough to stop the rubbing. The same is true when using the big ring. Depress the small lever slightly and the FD will move slightly to the left without shifting to the small ring. Good luck...

I recently had a couple of issues with my front derailer. I hunted through the threads and I found the following link. It worked so well I printed out a hard copy and I keep it in my file cabinet. I'll use it everytime I need to make a tweak. I tells you how to setup the derailer completely from scratch.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

I'd bookmark this link for sure.

RussB said:
I recently had a couple of issues with my front derailer. I hunted through the threads and I found the following link. It worked so well I printed out a hard copy and I keep it in my file cabinet. I'll use it everytime I need to make a tweak. I tells you how to setup the derailer completely from scratch.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

I'd bookmark this link for sure.
+1 for the parktool website. I used their excellent instructions to set up my triple FD a couple of years ago and haven't touched it for the last 12K miles. Like the idea they are providing these maintenance procedures to the public free.

I've bought several Park tool since then from my LBS, and like the tools even better. They may cost a bit more, but when pulling a crank or cassette, or shortening and connecting a new chain, have found a high-quality tool is worth the extra money.