Front Derailleur Question M571? M570? High clamp? Wha?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slash, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. Slash

    Slash Guest

    Long story short... I have a Shimano Deore LX "FD-M571" front derailleur... top swing, bottom pull.
    Top of the box says

    "Wider link High clamp type"

    Looks like this here derailleur.
    http://bike.shimano.com/comfort/DeoreLX/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=FD-M571

    The derailleur that's currently on my bike is a Shimano Alivio top swing bottom pull... I believe
    the LX equiv is the M570, as shown here... looks identical to the Alivio in all photos I've found
    (functionally, I mean)
    http://bike.shimano.com/comfort/DeoreLX/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=FD-M570

    The question is, can I replace my Alivio with the M571? Or do I need the M570? Looking at it, it
    seems like the M571 is simply a different type of derailleur, that sort of 'lifts' and guides the
    chain up the chainrings, while the M570 style one sort of just pushes it straight out or inward.

    Basically, I might have ordered the wrong derailleur when I got my fork from Priceline.com. M571
    instead of M570. I ended up choosing the 2002 Marzocchi MXR. Got it installed today. mmm......
    plush..... the difference from the Judy C to the MXR is incredible. But that's another post.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

    Tags:

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Have you installed it yet? If so how does it shift ? If it shifts fine then hold on to it. Remember
    it may not clamp in the same spot.

    Fire up MTB 03

  3. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 02:55:16 -0500 (EST), [email protected] scribbled:

    > Have you installed it yet? If so how does it shift ? If it shifts fine then hold on
    > to it. Remember it may not clamp in the same spot.
    >
    >Fire up MTB 03

    Haven't installed it yet, but it's just sitting here in its box staring at me...whispering
    things to me...

    I'm just wondering if it's physically possible to install it, being a slightly different type of
    derailleur. Don't wanna rip the drivetrain apart again if it's just plain not gonna work to
    begin with. :)

    Ah who am I kidding, I'll probably break down and give it a whirl within an hour if nobody replies
    with sagely advice (like "try it!" or "it might work, see if it does!").

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Slash wrote:

    > I'm just wondering if it's physically possible to install it, being a slightly different type of
    > derailleur. Don't wanna rip the drivetrain apart again if it's just plain not gonna work to begin
    > with. :)
    >
    > Ah who am I kidding, I'll probably break down and give it a whirl within an hour if nobody replies
    > with sagely advice (like "try it!" or "it might work, see if it does!").

    Well, all front derailleurs essentially just move a chain over chainrings. Ruining your drivetrain
    isn't an option. All this top swing, bottom pull, side dance rubbish confuses the hell out of me,
    but I reckon give it a go anyway.

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Slash <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The question is, can I replace my Alivio with the M571? Or do I need the M570? Looking at it, it
    >seems like the M571 is simply a different type of derailleur, that sort of 'lifts' and guides the
    >chain up the chainrings, while the M570 style one sort of just pushes it straight out or inward.

    Shimano has just invented lots of ways to do the same thing. A front derailleur is pretty much just
    a front derailleur. The only real functional difference between most of the Shimano derailleurs is
    that the cage is optimized for slightly different size chainrings - but even then the difference is
    small enough that it usually doesn't matter.

    Mount it and ride.

  6. Slash <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Long story short... I have a Shimano Deore LX "FD-M571" front derailleur... top swing, bottom
    > pull. Top of the box says "Wider link High clamp type"

    That's a high clamp which means "bottom swing" actually. Like nearly all front derailleurs used to
    be until Shimano invented top swing ones.

    > The derailleur that's currently on my bike is a Shimano Alivio top swing bottom pull... I believe
    > the LX equiv is the M570

    And that one is top swing.

    > The question is, can I replace my Alivio with the M571? Or do I need the M570? Looking at it, it
    > seems like the M571 is simply a different type of derailleur, that sort of 'lifts' and guides the
    > chain up the chainrings, while the M570 style one sort of just pushes it straight out or inward.

    They both do the same thing. The high-clamp M571 will work unless you have some kind of weird
    interrupted-seat-tube bike that doesn't allow mounting the high-clamp (which is why Shimano invented
    low-clamp top swing, supposedly).

    Put it on and ride.