Front Derailleur Question M571? M570? High clamp? Wha?

Slash

Guest
Long story short... I have a Shimano Deore LX "FD-M571" front derailleur... top swing, bottom pull.
Top of the box says

"Wider link High clamp type"

Looks like this here derailleur.
http://bike.shimano.com/comfort/DeoreLX/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=FD-M571

The derailleur that's currently on my bike is a Shimano Alivio top swing bottom pull... I believe
the LX equiv is the M570, as shown here... looks identical to the Alivio in all photos I've found
(functionally, I mean)
http://bike.shimano.com/comfort/DeoreLX/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=FD-M570

The question is, can I replace my Alivio with the M571? Or do I need the M570? Looking at it, it
seems like the M571 is simply a different type of derailleur, that sort of 'lifts' and guides the
chain up the chainrings, while the M570 style one sort of just pushes it straight out or inward.

Basically, I might have ordered the wrong derailleur when I got my fork from Priceline.com. M571
instead of M570. I ended up choosing the 2002 Marzocchi MXR. Got it installed today. mmm......
plush..... the difference from the Judy C to the MXR is incredible. But that's another post.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

Have you installed it yet? If so how does it shift ? If it shifts fine then hold on to it. Remember
it may not clamp in the same spot.

Fire up MTB 03

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 02:55:16 -0500 (EST), [email protected] scribbled:

> Have you installed it yet? If so how does it shift ? If it shifts fine then hold on
> to it. Remember it may not clamp in the same spot.
>
>Fire up MTB 03

Haven't installed it yet, but it's just sitting here in its box staring at me...whispering
things to me...

I'm just wondering if it's physically possible to install it, being a slightly different type of
derailleur. Don't wanna rip the drivetrain apart again if it's just plain not gonna work to
begin with. :)

Ah who am I kidding, I'll probably break down and give it a whirl within an hour if nobody replies
with sagely advice (like "try it!" or "it might work, see if it does!").

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

Slash wrote:

> I'm just wondering if it's physically possible to install it, being a slightly different type of
> derailleur. Don't wanna rip the drivetrain apart again if it's just plain not gonna work to begin
> with. :)
>
> Ah who am I kidding, I'll probably break down and give it a whirl within an hour if nobody replies
> with sagely advice (like "try it!" or "it might work, see if it does!").

Well, all front derailleurs essentially just move a chain over chainrings. Ruining your drivetrain
isn't an option. All this top swing, bottom pull, side dance rubbish confuses the hell out of me,
but I reckon give it a go anyway.

Slash <[email protected]> wrote:

>The question is, can I replace my Alivio with the M571? Or do I need the M570? Looking at it, it
>seems like the M571 is simply a different type of derailleur, that sort of 'lifts' and guides the
>chain up the chainrings, while the M570 style one sort of just pushes it straight out or inward.

Shimano has just invented lots of ways to do the same thing. A front derailleur is pretty much just
a front derailleur. The only real functional difference between most of the Shimano derailleurs is
that the cage is optimized for slightly different size chainrings - but even then the difference is
small enough that it usually doesn't matter.

Mount it and ride.

Slash <[email protected]> wrote:
> Long story short... I have a Shimano Deore LX "FD-M571" front derailleur... top swing, bottom
> pull. Top of the box says "Wider link High clamp type"

That's a high clamp which means "bottom swing" actually. Like nearly all front derailleurs used to
be until Shimano invented top swing ones.

> The derailleur that's currently on my bike is a Shimano Alivio top swing bottom pull... I believe
> the LX equiv is the M570

And that one is top swing.

> The question is, can I replace my Alivio with the M571? Or do I need the M570? Looking at it, it
> seems like the M571 is simply a different type of derailleur, that sort of 'lifts' and guides the
> chain up the chainrings, while the M570 style one sort of just pushes it straight out or inward.

They both do the same thing. The high-clamp M571 will work unless you have some kind of weird
interrupted-seat-tube bike that doesn't allow mounting the high-clamp (which is why Shimano invented
low-clamp top swing, supposedly).

Put it on and ride.