Front Derailleur Question

fybar

Guest
I have a Shimano Acera (FD-M330?) front deraiileur on a used bike that I
just got. It shifts to the lower gears, smaller ones, no problem.
However, when I go to the largest one it pushes out to far and rubs against
the chain and has also pushed the chain off in a couple of instances.
There are two screws to adjust, I just want to know what each screw does
when I tighten or loosen it. I was looking for a pdf but cannot find one.

Thanks,

fybar

"fybar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a Shimano Acera (FD-M330?) front deraiileur on a used bike that I
> just got. It shifts to the lower gears, smaller ones, no problem.
> However, when I go to the largest one it pushes out to far and rubs
> against
> the chain and has also pushed the chain off in a couple of instances.
> There are two screws to adjust, I just want to know what each screw does
> when I tighten or loosen it. I was looking for a pdf but cannot find one.
>
> Thanks,
>
> fybar

Try this.
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

fybar napisal(a):
> I have a Shimano Acera (FD-M330?) front deraiileur on a used bike that I
> just got. It shifts to the lower gears, smaller ones, no problem.
> However, when I go to the largest one it pushes out to far and rubs against
> the chain and has also pushed the chain off in a couple of instances.
> There are two screws to adjust, I just want to know what each screw does
> when I tighten or loosen it. I was looking for a pdf but cannot find one.

they're marked 'H' and 'L' somewhere near on the derailleur. The 'High'
one interests you right now, cause it adjusts a range of derailleur's
arm over the bigest chainwheel. By tightening it you can reduce this
range to prevent of pushing the chain off.
The 'Low' one adjusts the range of arm over the smallest chainwheel, to
prevent of pushing the chain too far off it's properely inmost
position.
/don't know how to explain it better or sth like that ;p/

Shimi wrote:
> fybar napisal(a):
> > I have a Shimano Acera (FD-M330?) front deraiileur on a used bike that I
> > just got. It shifts to the lower gears, smaller ones, no problem.
> > However, when I go to the largest one it pushes out to far and rubs against
> > the chain and has also pushed the chain off in a couple of instances.
> > There are two screws to adjust, I just want to know what each screw does
> > when I tighten or loosen it. I was looking for a pdf but cannot find one.
> >

> they're marked 'H' and 'L' somewhere near on the derailleur. The 'High'
> one interests you right now, cause it adjusts a range of derailleur's
> arm over the bigest chainwheel. By tightening it you can reduce this
> range to prevent of pushing the chain off.
> The 'Low' one adjusts the range of arm over the smallest chainwheel, to
> prevent of pushing the chain too far off it's properely inmost
> position.
> /don't know how to explain it better or sth like that ;p/

They both turn in the normal direction.
Tighten to reduce the range (when it overshift off of the gears).
Loosen to increase the range (when it does not reach the last gear).
If you look underneath, you might be able to see the screw touching a
metal projection when at the limit.