Front derailleur recommendations for Shimano 28-38-48 triple on MTB

al77

Guest
Hello,
Can someone point me in the right direction for a new front derailleur
for a Dawes Oxygen MTB (6 speed with Sram gripshifters). It has
28-38-48 triple chain-rings & the old derailleur doesn't seem to want
to line up to the middle ring without rubbing along the derailleur, it
might be bent & I want to replace it. It works ok on the inner & outer
ring, just not the middle so i'm also wondering if the derailleur is
compatiable with the Sram gripshift gear changers. The old derailleur
has no identifiable model name on it so i'm just looking for
suggestions of what to look for as a replacement.
thanks in advance..

:)

in message <[email protected]>, al77
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hello,
> Can someone point me in the right direction for a new front derailleur
> for a Dawes Oxygen MTB (6 speed with Sram gripshifters). It has
> 28-38-48 triple chain-rings & the old derailleur doesn't seem to want
> to line up to the middle ring without rubbing along the derailleur, it
> might be bent & I want to replace it. It works ok on the inner & outer
> ring, just not the middle so i'm also wondering if the derailleur is
> compatiable with the Sram gripshift gear changers. The old derailleur
> has no identifiable model name on it so i'm just looking for
> suggestions of what to look for as a replacement.
> thanks in advance..

Are your gripshifts SRAM or Shimano pull ratio (SRAM make both)? If your
rear mech is SRAM, I would suggest a SRAM X Generation would be most
straightforward, although with the front derailleur it's not so much of
an issue. It works both top and bottom pull, so that shouldn't be an
issue either.

;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase

I'm not sure about the pull ratio, the shifters didn't have any specs
with them when i bought them but they work fine with the rear
derailleur which is shimano. The gripshifters say MRX 6 speed & the
current front derailleur pulls from the bottom. thanks