front derailleur shim

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Strickla, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame has a 28.6 mm seat
    tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified
    that they are currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other source for
    a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp. My next option seems to be to make a
    shim but I'm not real sure what the best way to go about it would be. What kind of material should I
    be looking for and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

    Rob Strickland

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    You could also get one of these: http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?cid=160&spr_id=1&mid=0

    It's a separate clamp (28.6) onto which you can mount any standard braze-on front derailleur.
    They're also available in other clamp diameters so when you switch frames you can get another clamp
    or just mount the braze-on derailleur when it's a braze-on frame.

    If you're not sure order their (Roseversand) catalog, it's free and has an image of the clamp in it.

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame has a 28.6 mm seat
    > tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified
    > that they are currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other source
    > for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp. My next option seems to be to
    > make a shim but I'm not real sure what the best way to go about it would be. What kind of material
    > should I be looking for and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
    >
    > Rob Strickland

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > You could also get one of these: http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?cid=160&spr_id=1&mid=0

    Sorry that link doesn't work, type 562083 in the searchbox and you'll be directed to the
    correct item.

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You could also get one of these: http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?cid=160&spr_id=1&mid=0
    >
    > It's a separate clamp (28.6) onto which you can mount any standard braze-on front derailleur.
    > They're also available in other clamp diameters so when you switch frames you can get another
    > clamp or just mount the braze-on derailleur when it's a braze-on frame.
    >
    > If you're not sure order their (Roseversand) catalog, it's free and has an image of the
    > clamp in it.
    >

    > "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame has a 28.6 mm seat
    > > tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified
    > > that they are currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other source
    > > for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp. My next option seems to be to
    > > make a shim but I'm not real sure what the best way to go about it would be. What kind of
    > > material should I be looking for and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    > > thanks.
    > >
    > > Rob Strickland

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:34:59 +0200, "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame has a 28.6 mm seat
    >tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified
    >that they are currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other source for
    >a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp. My next option seems to be to make a
    >shim but I'm not real sure what the best way to go about it would be. What kind of material should
    >I be looking for and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
    Cut a strip of aluminum can and wrap as many times around seatube so that the 31.8 clamp is tight.

    You can actually just buy the clamp part for the derailleur and get a
    28.6 one. You need only remove a "C" clip and the clamp comes off.

  5. > > You could also get one of these: http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?cid=160&spr_id=1&mid=0

    > > It's a separate clamp (28.6) onto which you can mount any standard
    braze-on front derailleur.
    > > They're also available in other clamp diameters so when you switch
    frames you can get another clamp or just mount the braze-on
    > > derailleur when it's a braze-on frame.
    > >
    > > If you're not sure order their (Roseversand) catalog, it's free and has
    an image of the clamp in it.

    Thanks Ronald. I'm aware of Roseversand and the clamp you mentioned. That route would, however,
    require the purchase of another derailleur and I'd like to try to make use of the one I've got if
    possible. Thanks for the help though.

    Rob

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my
    frame
    > has a 28.6 mm seat tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I
    > was just notified that they are currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found
    > any other source for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp.
    My
    > next option seems to be to make a shim but I'm not real sure what the best way to go about it
    > would be. What kind of material should I be looking for and in what thickness? Any suggestions
    > would be appreciated, thanks.

    A section of a nylon or delrin tube is perfect. It need not be metal to work well. A long strip of
    mylar wrapped until the right diameter ( as with some seatposts) would probably work ,too.

  7. Hi, Rob, you could cut a soda pop can into strips, with a pair of scissors and wrap that around
    your downtube.

    You need to add about 1/8" (3.2mm) to the diameter, or 1/16" (1.6mm) of thickness.

    Lewis.

    ****************************

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame has a 28.6 mm seat
    > tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified
    > that they are currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other source
    > for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp. My next option seems to be to
    > make a shim but I'm not real sure what the best way to go about it would be. What kind of material
    > should I be looking for and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
    >
    > Rob Strickland

  8. robert-<< I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame has a 28.6 mm
    seat tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just
    notified that they are currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other
    source for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp.
    >><BR><BR>

    Go to a LBS that 'qui si parla Campagnolo', or the equivalent in German and ask if they will swap
    the clamp...easy to do.

  9. Paul-<< You can actually just buy the clamp part for the derailleur and get a
    28.6 one. You need only remove a "C" clip and the clamp comes off.
    >><BR><BR>

    Yep but it is almost as expensive a front der...

    Poor idea for Campagnolo to stop making 28.6mm triple front ders, IMO-

    (29)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"