front derailleur sizing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ari, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ari

Ari Guest

Need a front derailleur for a frame upgrade. The new frame uses a 31.6 mm seatpost, what size
    derailleur would I need (1 and 1/8" 1/4" or 3/8"?) I think the seatpost clamp I need for this frame
    is 34.9 mm.

Tags:

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Also, would the old xtr (m952) or new xtr (m960) be preferable? The old version is available in both
    top and bottom pull models, while the new one works either way.

"ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Need a front derailleur for a frame upgrade. The new frame uses a 31.6 mm seatpost, what size
    > derailleur would I need (1 and 1/8" 1/4" or 3/8"?) I think the seatpost clamp I need for this
    > frame is 34.9 mm.

3. Gregr

Gregr Guest

Unless the seat tube is externally butted, you will need the 34.9 FD.

Which model you get depends on the crank you will be using. The M952 FD is for standard chainwheels
    (M952, or 110/74 BCD) The M960 is for compact cranks like the new '03 XTR and all later XT LX and
    cranks that use a 104/64 and 94/58 BCD.

G

On Sun, 25 May 2003 07:19:55 GMT, "ari" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, would the old xtr (m952) or new xtr (m960) be preferable? The old version is available in
    >both top and bottom pull models, while the new one works either way.
    >
    >
    >"ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Need a front derailleur for a frame upgrade. The new frame uses a 31.6 mm seatpost, what size
    >> derailleur would I need (1 and 1/8" 1/4" or 3/8"?) I think the seatpost clamp I need for this
    >> frame is 34.9 mm.
    >>
    >

4. In article <[email protected]>, ari <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Need a front derailleur for a frame upgrade. The new frame uses a 31.6 mm seatpost, what size
    >derailleur would I need (1 and 1/8" 1/4" or 3/8"?) I think the seatpost clamp I need for this frame
    >is 34.9 mm.

1-3/8" = 34.925mm

--Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.