Front Derailleur , top or bottom swing?

Jazu

Guest
Which one to buy? What are advantage one over other? jazu

"jazu" <nospam> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Which one to buy? What are advantage one over other? jazu

I always forget which is bloody which, but the one referred
to as 'conventional' swing is what I have started using,
after going through the newer types in around 6 months -
they are just utter shite and develop a lot of pivot slop
quickly. The conventional one I have on has shown zero signs
of wear so far.

Some full suspension bikes can't use the conventional ones
though, as the clamp can get in the way of moving parts.

HTH some!

Shaun aRe

jazu wrote:
> Which one to buy? What are advantage one over other?

One fits bikes that have cable routing under the bottom
bracket. One fits bikes that have cable routing along
the top tube.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

bomba wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:07:01 +1200, Westie wrote:
>
>> jazu wrote:
>>> Which one to buy? What are advantage one over other?
>>
>> One fits bikes that have cable routing under the bottom
>> bracket. One fits bikes that have cable routing along the
>> top tube.
>
> Nope. You're thinking of bottom pull and top pull.

Yep. That's what I was thinking of alright. :)
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

> I always forget which is bloody which, but the one
> referred to as 'conventional' swing is what I have started
> using, after going through the newer types in around 6
> months - they are just utter shite and develop a
lot
> of pivot slop quickly. The conventional one I have on has
> shown zero signs of wear so far.

Top Swing = Poo. Use if you have to.

Andy Chequer

> "jazu" <nospam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Which one to buy? What are advantage one over
> > other? jazu
>
> I always forget which is bloody which, but the one
> referred to as 'conventional' swing is what I have started
> using, after going through the newer types in around 6
> months - they are just utter shite and develop a
lot
> of pivot slop quickly. The conventional one I have on has
> shown zero signs of wear so far.
>
> Some full suspension bikes can't use the conventional ones
> though, as the clamp can get in the way of moving parts.
>
> Shaun aRe

A lot of newer frames have the cable stop angled for routing
the cable for a top swing front mech. Trying to run a
conventional mech on these frames results in the cable
rubbing on the cable stop and makes shifting difficult.

FWIW my Turner frame will only accept a convential mech as
the lower band of the top swing fouls the BB/shock cluster.
My On-one will only accept a top swing because of the cable
stop positioning.

Steve.

> A lot of newer frames have the cable stop angled for
> routing the cable for
> top swing front mech. Trying to run a conventional mech on
> these frames results in the cable rubbing on the cable
> stop and makes shifting
difficult.

> FWIW my Turner frame will only accept a convential mech as
> the lower band
of
> the top swing fouls the BB/shock cluster. My On-one will
> only accept a top swing because of the cable stop
> positioning.
>
> Steve.

Oh FFS. It's a conspiracy!!!!!!!

Andy Chequer, keepin' it old. Nyeeeeh.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:55:14 -0700, "jazu" <nospam> blathered:

>Which one to buy? What are advantage one over other?

Conventional -inreactioncycles.com/productimages/GearMechsFrontShimanoXTF-
MechConventionalM751.jpg

Top swing -inreactioncycles.com/productimages/GearMechsFrontShimanoLXF-
MechTopSwing8spM567.jpg

Conventional every time unless you can't for reasons of
frame design; they're much longer lasting than top
swing mechs.

Pete

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> > I always forget which is bloody which, but the one
> > referred to as 'conventional' swing is what I have
> > started using, after going through
the
> > newer types in around 6 months - they are just utter
> > shite and develop a
> lot
> > of pivot slop quickly. The conventional one I have on
> > has shown zero
signs

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:55:14 -0700, "jazu" <nospam>
> blathered:
>
>> Which one to buy? What are advantage one over other?
>
> Conventional -

inreactioncycles.com/productimages/GearMechsFrontShimanoXTF-
MechConventionalM751.jpg

> Top swing -

inreactioncycles.com/productimages/GearMechsFrontShimanoLXF-
MechTopSwing8spM567.jpg

> Conventional every time unless you can't for reasons of
> frame design; they're much longer lasting than top
> swing mechs.
>
> Pete

Perfect explanation! thnx...

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:55:14 -0700, "jazu" <nospam> wrote:

>Which one to buy? What are advantage one over other? jazu

Neither!

Peace, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass
rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]