Front derailleur wont shift up from 2nd to 3rd.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Eduardo B., Feb 8, 2003.

  1. Eduardo B.

    Eduardo B. Guest

    It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been stored
    eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer) as if it
    needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or needs
    adjustment?

    thanks folks!!!

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Eduardo B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been
    > stored eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer)
    > as if it needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or
    > needs adjustment?
    >
    > thanks folks!!!

    Try winding out the barrel adjuster on the left hand shifter. This should take the slack out of
    the cable. If there's too much slack, undo the allen bolt on the mech, pull the cable through and
    try again.

    Andy Chequer.

    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Eduardo B. wrote:
    > It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been
    > stored eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer)
    > as if it needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or
    > needs adjustment?
    >
    > thanks folks!!!

    There're several adjustments that can cause this. The primary 2 are: the cable tension and the limit
    screw. It may be both, but you can test quickly for the primary one by pulling out on the cable on
    the downtube where it's not in any housing while turning the pedals with your hand -- if it
    shifts-up, start with the cable tension, if it doesn't, start with the limit screw.

    Cable tension: Try turning the adjuster barrel at the shift lever out a little (in 1/4 turns) to see
    if this helps. If you turn it out too far, the chain will rub the shifter cage in the bigger rear
    gears and you may have trouble down-shifting.

    If that's not it, there are 2 stop screws on the deraileur. One adjusts how far in it can go; the
    other adjusts how far out it can go. Try loosening the one that limits outward travel. If you loosen
    it too much, you may have problems with the DR throwing the chain past the big chainring. You can
    figure out which it is by shifting into the smallest chainring and see which one of the screws is
    against a stop -- its the other :).

    David

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 8 Feb 2003 14:25:52 -0800, [email protected] (Eduardo B.) wrote:

    >It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been
    >stored eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer)
    >as if it needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or
    >needs adjustment?
    >
    >thanks folks!!!

    Do not pay attention to the previous posters. Although the Sheldon Brown link is helpful. There's a
    simple solution to your troubles Eduardo.

    If you'd like me to tell you just say so. If not, I'm keepin' to myself. I don't sound like a
    broken record...

    Aaah FVck it! I just can't let it go.

    Get rid of the POS front derailleur, keep 1 front chain ring, convert to rear to 1 ring and go SS!

    You'll never need to worry about shifting again.

    Peace, Bill(I feel better now)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as
    a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
    the world.
    :-]

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    go SS!...scrik...scrik..go SS!...scrik...scrik...go SS!...scrik...scrik...

    spin it backwards and you get

    Bill is nutz...scrik...scrik....Bill is nutz....scrik...scrik...Bill is nutz...scrik....scrik

    Mike

  7. Eduardo B.

    Eduardo B. Guest

    Thanks for the replies folks,

    it ended up being a problem inside the mechanism that releases the cable. There is a very small
    spring that makes the mechanism engage. For some reason (maybe age) it is not working... I noticed
    that if I switched very slowly it would engage and therefore shift to the third gear though. Not
    fixed but I can live with it... thanks!!!