Front derailleur wont shift up from 2nd to 3rd.

Eduardo B.

Guest
It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been stored
eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer) as if it
needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or needs
adjustment?

thanks folks!!!

"Eduardo B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been
> stored eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer)
> as if it needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or
> needs adjustment?
>
> thanks folks!!!

Try winding out the barrel adjuster on the left hand shifter. This should take the slack out of
the cable. If there's too much slack, undo the allen bolt on the mech, pull the cable through and
try again.

Andy Chequer.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Eduardo B. wrote:
> It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been
> stored eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer)
> as if it needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or
> needs adjustment?
>
> thanks folks!!!

There're several adjustments that can cause this. The primary 2 are: the cable tension and the limit
screw. It may be both, but you can test quickly for the primary one by pulling out on the cable on
the downtube where it's not in any housing while turning the pedals with your hand -- if it
shifts-up, start with the cable tension, if it doesn't, start with the limit screw.

Cable tension: Try turning the adjuster barrel at the shift lever out a little (in 1/4 turns) to see
if this helps. If you turn it out too far, the chain will rub the shifter cage in the bigger rear
gears and you may have trouble down-shifting.

If that's not it, there are 2 stop screws on the deraileur. One adjusts how far in it can go; the
other adjusts how far out it can go. Try loosening the one that limits outward travel. If you loosen
it too much, you may have problems with the DR throwing the chain past the big chainring. You can
figure out which it is by shifting into the smallest chainring and see which one of the screws is
against a stop -- its the other :).

David

On 8 Feb 2003 14:25:52 -0800, [email protected] (Eduardo B.) wrote:

>It is a shimano STX RC and was used a couple of times. The bike was bought in 98 and has been
>stored eversince. Now I noticed the front derailleur wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, (middle to outer)
>as if it needed more travel on the lever. Downshifting from second to 1st works. Is it broken or
>needs adjustment?
>
>thanks folks!!!

Do not pay attention to the previous posters. Although the Sheldon Brown link is helpful. There's a
simple solution to your troubles Eduardo.

If you'd like me to tell you just say so. If not, I'm keepin' to myself. I don't sound like a
broken record...

Aaah FVck it! I just can't let it go.

Get rid of the POS front derailleur, keep 1 front chain ring, convert to rear to 1 ring and go SS!

You'll never need to worry about shifting again.

Peace, Bill(I feel better now)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as
a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
the world.
:-]

go SS!...scrik...scrik..go SS!...scrik...scrik...go SS!...scrik...scrik...

spin it backwards and you get

Bill is nutz...scrik...scrik....Bill is nutz....scrik...scrik...Bill is nutz...scrik....scrik

Mike

Thanks for the replies folks,

it ended up being a problem inside the mechanism that releases the cable. There is a very small
spring that makes the mechanism engage. For some reason (maybe age) it is not working... I noticed
that if I switched very slowly it would engage and therefore shift to the third gear though. Not
fixed but I can live with it... thanks!!!