Front derailuer shifting question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve C., Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Steve C.

    Steve C. Guest

    During my last ride, I leaned by bike up against some bushes. When I started again I could not move
    my left shifter into the 3 position which corresponds to the outside front chainring. After reading
    "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance," I bought a workstand and decided to make the
    adjustments myself. I tightened the cable and moved the limit screws a bit. Everything works fine
    now except when I am on the outside back chainring, shifting the front chainring from the outside to
    the middle is slow and noisy. I have a 2000 Gary Fisher Marlin. Any help would be appreciated. This
    is my first attempt at doing any work on my bike. I am wanting to improve my skills so I can do all
    my own work.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Steve C. wrote:
    > During my last ride, I leaned by bike up against some bushes. When I started again I could not
    > move my left shifter into the 3 position which corresponds to the outside front chainring. After
    > reading "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance," I bought a workstand and decided to make
    > the adjustments myself. I tightened the cable and moved the limit screws a bit. Everything works
    > fine now except when I am on the outside back chainring, shifting the front chainring from the
    > outside to the middle is slow and noisy. I have a 2000 Gary Fisher Marlin. Any help would be
    > appreciated. This is my first attempt at doing any work on my bike. I am wanting to improve my
    > skills so I can do all my own work.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    This usually means that the carrier is not pulling in far enough to pull the chain off. Loosen the
    cable in 1/4 turn increments until it'll down-shift more reliably. BUT, if you don't tpyically
    down-shift while in the smallest cassette gear (I know that I don't), you may sacrifice that in
    favor of better up-shifting performance and leave it alone.

    David