Front disk suddenly got "grabby"...?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by x, May 12, 2003.

  1. x

    x Guest

    I've got two front wheels that I interchange between a bike with Avid mechs and another bike
    with Hope C2s.

    The disks are Hope.

    Sortly after running one wheel on the Hope bike for a short time, it got "grabby" on the Avid bike
    (it's usual home...). Nothing I can't live with, but definately something that could be an
    "over-the-bars-experience" in the wrong circumstances.

    I'm thinking that if it's anything to do with the diff pads, it's something about some sort of micro
    layer of pad material/disk metal...

    OTOH maybe it's just another instance of correlation not being causation...

    Any thoughts?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > > Any thoughts?
    >
    > I have many thoughts, but none relate to this post ;-)
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Then don't respond to it.

    Pete - Have you tried the good ol' mud trick? It might be build up from the pads, but a nice coating
    of mud will probably fix it up all nice-like for ya.

    Jon Bond

  4. Constant

    Constant Guest

    Hi

    A friend of mine bought a Giant XTC about 2,5 years ago. He had the Avid
    mechanical discs changed to the newer version of the same brand. I
    believe because a test in some magazine said the Avid could get a bit to
    gready. The salesman confirmed... "but only in 50% of all cases." :-/

    Since you are change between bikes, I doubt if this story makes any point...

    Good luck, Constant J. NL

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > I've got two front wheels that I interchange between a bike with Avid mechs and another bike with
    > Hope C2s.
    >
    > The disks are Hope.
    >
    > Sortly after running one wheel on the Hope bike for a short time, it got "grabby" on the Avid bike
    > (it's usual home...). Nothing I can't live with, but definately something that could be an
    > "over-the-bars-experience" in the wrong circumstances.
    >
    > I'm thinking that if it's anything to do with the diff pads, it's something about some sort of
    > micro layer of pad material/disk metal...
    >
    > OTOH maybe it's just another instance of correlation not being causation...
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

  5. > A friend of mine bought a Giant XTC about 2,5 years ago. He had the Avid
    > mechanical discs changed to the newer version of the same brand. I
    > believe because a test in some magazine said the Avid could get a bit to
    > gready. The salesman confirmed... "but only in 50% of all cases." :-/

    Huh? What's "gready?"

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Constant

    Constant Guest

    Make it "greedy". Which, in case of a front brake, can make you feel like a bird.

    cj

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >> A friend of mine bought a Giant XTC about 2,5 years ago. He had the Avid
    >> mechanical discs changed to the newer version of the same brand. I
    >> believe because a test in some magazine said the Avid could get a bit to
    >> gready. The salesman confirmed... "but only in 50% of all cases." :-/
    >

    > Huh? What's "gready?"

  7. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Constant wrote:
    > Make it "greedy". Which, in case of a front brake, can make you feel like a bird.
    >
    > cj

    Gyp