Front Drum Brakes - Left or Right Side?

DougC

Guest
When mounting a front drum brake, does the brake-arm normally go on the
left or the right side?

I am assembling a Worksman with such a wheel, and I would have guessed
that the brake's arm would go on the left side, so that it would be
protected somewhat by the fork blade--but it doesn't fit real well. The
images of Euro bikes mostly seem to have it that way.

Does it matter with a drum brake which "direction" it's mounted?
The instructions do not relate.....

DougC wrote:
> When mounting a front drum brake, does the brake-arm normally go on the
> left or the right side?
>
> I am assembling a Worksman with such a wheel, and I would have guessed
> that the brake's arm would go on the left side, so that it would be
> protected somewhat by the fork blade--but it doesn't fit real well. The
> images of Euro bikes mostly seem to have it that way.
>
> Does it matter with a drum brake which "direction" it's mounted?
> The instructions do not relate.....

Brake arm on left side:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/KMDG8.JPG

--