Front fender for road bike-What will work

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 22, 2003.

  1. I am trying to ride my road bike in winter rain. Cannondale with a 650 Kestrel EMS fork. I don't
    have much clearance between the tire and the fork. Any Ideas?

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > I am trying to ride my road bike in winter rain. Cannondale with a 650 Kestrel EMS fork. I don't
    > have much clearance between the tire and the fork.

    I assume you're asking about mudguard clearance.

    I ride a fixed Kestrel in the winter with a Zefal 700-25 mudguard the ends at the back of the fork
    crown. My brake bolt is the traditional long type with a nylock nut holding the mudguard clip.

  3. "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am trying to ride my road bike in winter rain. Cannondale with a 650 Kestrel EMS fork. I don't
    > have much clearance between the tire and the fork. Any Ideas?

    if you are talking about traditional fenders, cut the front fender right in front of the "L"
    bracket. Chase 2 Zipties in criss-cross around the headtube through the "L". It'll hold fine - there
    is no need to try and force the fenders through the fork. Any water that's made it that far around
    has earned the right to get you a little wet.

    I've had my Kestral fork fendered this way for 4 years without ever replacing it (can't say the same
    for the rear - they always crack). Email if you need me to get a picture.

    -a