Front Fork Clamps for Bike Carriers - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Sr ., Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Steve Sr .

    Steve Sr . Guest

    I am going to building a bike carrier mount so that I can cary my bikes vertically inside the back
    of my Toyota Highlander. The clamps will be mounted to a piece of wood that has been cut to fit the
    floor of the cargo area.

    For thos e oyou that have made your own carriers are there any other clamps that I should be
    considering except Thule and Yakima?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:53:14 +0000, Steve Sr. wrote:

    > I am going to building a bike carrier mount so that I can cary my bikes vertically inside the back
    > of my Toyota Highlander. The clamps will be mounted to a piece of wood that has been cut to fit
    > the floor of the cargo area.
    >
    > For thos e oyou that have made your own carriers are there any other clamps that I should be
    > considering except Thule and Yakima?

    I have done something very similar, though I have a smaller car and so have to take the seat out to
    use it. But the clamp hardly matters, they all work reasonably well.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

  3. Steve Sr. wrote:
    > For thos e oyou that have made your own carriers are there any other clamps that I should be
    > considering except Thule and Yakima?

    http://www.biketote.com

    Check out their internal bike racks.

    --
    o__ | If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike. ,>/'_ | Q. (_)\(_) | Usenet posting`

  4. Dick

    Dick Guest

    I used old QR hubs mounted with right angle brackets. Works great and Cheap.

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Steve Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to building a bike carrier mount so that I can cary my bikes vertically inside the back
    > of my Toyota Highlander. The clamps will be mounted to a piece of wood that has been cut to fit
    > the floor of the cargo area.
    >
    > For thos e oyou that have made your own carriers are there any other clamps that I should be
    > considering except Thule and Yakima?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    Try looking at the Performance branded clamps. You can get them on sale for about $10/ea. Since they
    all do the same thing, why spend more than you have to?

    Mike

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Dick" <[email protected] no-spam adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<NZhDb.962$%[email protected]>...
    > I used old QR hubs mounted with right angle brackets. Works great and Cheap.

    Yep- hubs, hose clamps and 2x4's are all you really need.

    However, I used a pair of Bike Tight clamps for ten years, holding a pair of recumbents in the back
    of a pickup truck. They never failed.

    http://www.biketight.com/

    Jeff