Front Fork Clamps for Bike Carriers - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Sr ., Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Sr .

Steve Sr . Guest

I am going to building a bike carrier mount so that I can cary my bikes vertically inside the back
    of my Toyota Highlander. The clamps will be mounted to a piece of wood that has been cut to fit the
    floor of the cargo area.

For thos e oyou that have made your own carriers are there any other clamps that I should be
    considering except Thule and Yakima?

Thanks,

Steve

Tags:

2. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:53:14 +0000, Steve Sr. wrote:

> I am going to building a bike carrier mount so that I can cary my bikes vertically inside the back
    > of my Toyota Highlander. The clamps will be mounted to a piece of wood that has been cut to fit
    > the floor of the cargo area.
    >
    > For thos e oyou that have made your own carriers are there any other clamps that I should be
    > considering except Thule and Yakima?

I have done something very similar, though I have a smaller car and so have to take the seat out to
    use it. But the clamp hardly matters, they all work reasonably well.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

3. Steve Sr. wrote:
    > For thos e oyou that have made your own carriers are there any other clamps that I should be
    >

http://www.biketote.com

Check out their internal bike racks.

--
    o__ | If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike. ,>/'_ | Q. (_)\(_) | Usenet posting`

4. Dick

Dick Guest

I used old QR hubs mounted with right angle brackets. Works great and Cheap.

5. Mike S.

Mike S. Guest

"Steve Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to building a bike carrier mount so that I can cary my bikes vertically inside the back
    > of my Toyota Highlander. The clamps will be mounted to a piece of wood that has been cut to fit
    > the floor of the cargo area.
    >
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

Try looking at the Performance branded clamps. You can get them on sale for about $10/ea. Since they
    all do the same thing, why spend more than you have to?

Mike

6. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

"Dick" <[email protected] no-spam adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<NZhDb.962$%[email protected]>...
    > I used old QR hubs mounted with right angle brackets. Works great and Cheap.

Yep- hubs, hose clamps and 2x4's are all you really need.

However, I used a pair of Bike Tight clamps for ten years, holding a pair of recumbents in the back
    of a pickup truck. They never failed.

http://www.biketight.com/

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.