front fork on backwards

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Guy Tedesco, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Guy Tedesco

    Guy Tedesco Guest

    i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
    roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so it
    tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the fork
    or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, guy tedesco <[email protected]> wrote:
    >i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
    >roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
    >it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
    >fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

    My guess is that riding it improperly assembled has not harmed it in any way. If you're concerned
    about it then I suggest you have it inspected by a bike shop. Naturally a question like "is there a
    crack in my fork?" cannot be answered on Usenet.

    --Paul

  3. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (guy tedesco) wrote:

    > i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
    > roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
    > it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
    > fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

    No. The bike probably handles a bit differently now, though!

    Some recumbents are designed with the fork "backwards" and are ridden for years in that
    configuration without problems. The Streetglider springs to mind immediately.

  4. Guy Tedesco

    Guy Tedesco Guest

    Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (guy tedesco) wrote:
    >
    > > No. The bike probably handles a bit differently now, though!

    yes there is a tremendous difference in the smoothness of the ride. also my feet have alot clearance
    from the front tire. my feet would hit the front tire on slow turns when the fork was on
    backwards-guy from long island

  5. As long as you didn't store the bike by hanging it from the ceiling by it's wheels, it should be
    fine <j/k>

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "guy tedesco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
    > roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
    > it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
    > fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

    I commend your honesty ! Most people start those stories, "My younger brother. . . " or "My
    boyfriend. . . "

    You didn't hurt anything And you aren't the first person to do that either:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/BRKNDREK.JPG

  7. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "guy tedesco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
    > roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
    > it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
    > fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

    250 miles in 2 years - 400km i.e. 200km/year - average of nearly 4k/week. I believe your bike is
    still brand new. As in Zacho's reply - your method of storage is what's important. Pump your tyres,
    oil your chain and get an annual service before each ride! Mark Lee

  8. In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"guy tedesco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over
    >> paved roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the
    >> fork so it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the
    >> integrity of the fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?
    >
    >I commend your honesty ! Most people start those stories, "My younger brother. . . " or "My
    >boyfriend. . . "
    >
    >You didn't hurt anything And you aren't the first person to do that either:
    >http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/BRKNDREK.JPG

    Looks like they installed the stem just far enough to get the wedge out of sight as well. :)