front fork on backwards

Guy Tedesco

Guest
i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so it
tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the fork
or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

In article <[email protected]>, guy tedesco <[email protected]> wrote:
>i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
>roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
>it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
>fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

My guess is that riding it improperly assembled has not harmed it in any way. If you're concerned
about it then I suggest you have it inspected by a bike shop. Naturally a question like "is there a
crack in my fork?" cannot be answered on Usenet.

--Paul

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (guy tedesco) wrote:

> i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
> roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
> it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
> fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

No. The bike probably handles a bit differently now, though!

Some recumbents are designed with the fork "backwards" and are ridden for years in that
configuration without problems. The Streetglider springs to mind immediately.

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (guy tedesco) wrote:
>
> > No. The bike probably handles a bit differently now, though!

yes there is a tremendous difference in the smoothness of the ride. also my feet have alot clearance
from the front tire. my feet would hit the front tire on slow turns when the fork was on
backwards-guy from long island

As long as you didn't store the bike by hanging it from the ceiling by it's wheels, it should be
fine <j/k>

"guy tedesco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
> roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
> it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
> fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

I commend your honesty ! Most people start those stories, "My younger brother. . . " or "My
boyfriend. . . "

You didn't hurt anything And you aren't the first person to do that either:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/BRKNDREK.JPG

"guy tedesco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over paved
> roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the fork so
> it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the integrity of the
> fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?

250 miles in 2 years - 400km i.e. 200km/year - average of nearly 4k/week. I believe your bike is
still brand new. As in Zacho's reply - your method of storage is what's important. Pump your tyres,
oil your chain and get an annual service before each ride! Mark Lee

In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>"guy tedesco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> i assembled my mongoose crossway 250 with the fork on backwards and have been riding it over
>> paved roads for the past two years (about 250 miles total). i have now correctly orientated the
>> fork so it tapers outward from the bike. i want to know do you think i have weakened the
>> integrity of the fork or wheel in any way so it is unsafe to ride?
>
>I commend your honesty ! Most people start those stories, "My younger brother. . . " or "My
>boyfriend. . . "
>
>You didn't hurt anything And you aren't the first person to do that either:
>http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/BRKNDREK.JPG

Looks like they installed the stem just far enough to get the wedge out of sight as well. :)