Front forks for Super Galaxy

Jackbike

Guest
Thanks to a kind motorist, I'm looking for a set of front forks for a super
galaxy. (2004 model, 52cm frame). Any hints, tips, clues as to where to
source from. LBS tells me they can get some for January, but being an
impatient sort, would prefer to get some before then. I am willing to part
with ready money for the right forks.

Thanks for any advice - John

Jackbike wrote:
> Thanks to a kind motorist, I'm looking for a set of front forks for a super
> galaxy. (2004 model, 52cm frame). Any hints, tips, clues as to where to
> source from. LBS tells me they can get some for January, but being an
> impatient sort, would prefer to get some before then. I am willing to part
> with ready money for the right forks.
>
> Thanks for any advice - John

I would hand the problem to the driver, with a 2 week deadline.

Jackbike wrote:
> Thanks to a kind motorist, I'm looking for a set of front forks for a super
> galaxy. (2004 model, 52cm frame). Any hints, tips, clues as to where to
> source from. LBS tells me they can get some for January, but being an
> impatient sort, would prefer to get some before then. I am willing to part
> with ready money for the right forks.
>
> Thanks for any advice - John

What to Dawes say?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

">>

> I would hand the problem to the driver, with a 2 week deadline.

The insurance company has already bought me a nice shiny replacment, I'm
lookin to repair the wreckage and have a nice Super Galaxy 'hack' bike for
around £200, to ride through the winter, though I do need front forks, they
are sort of indispensible to smooth riding.

Since you have raised the topic, the driver was disinclined to give me their
insurance details, as were the police, so I have had to engage a solicitor
to recover uninsured losses etc. The system takes us down the legal route,
whether we want to go there or not. Oh, and plod (West Midlands finest) have
been very chocolate tea pottish about the whole thing, even though time was
spent in hospital.

Next bit o/t

I am in discomfort today for two reasons, fractured ribs, and I stupidly
went to see the I'm Sorry I haven't a clue, show last night and chortled to
excess. The cast and the jokes were very old, but a good night was had by
all Recommended.

Definition of Sanctity - Multi breasted french woman - you get the level of
humour.

Jackbike wrote:
> ">>
>> I would hand the problem to the driver, with a 2 week deadline.

> The insurance company has already bought me a nice shiny replacment,

Who's?
I'm
> lookin to repair the wreckage and have a nice Super Galaxy 'hack' bike for
> around £200, to ride through the winter, though I do need front forks, they
> are sort of indispensible to smooth riding.
>
> Since you have raised the topic, the driver was disinclined to give me their
> insurance details, as were the police,

Note to self if/when involved in "accident" make sure that I note car eg
then fall onto floor and ensure taken to hospital. Then surf my clim on
the back of the Health Athorities claim for the ambulance cost. It's
always a lot easier if someone else is doing the donkey work

On 2007-09-20, Jackbike <me@somewhere> wrote:

> ">>
>>

> The insurance company has already bought me a nice shiny replacment, I'm
> lookin to repair the wreckage and have a nice Super Galaxy 'hack' bike for
> around £200, to ride through the winter, though I do need front forks, they
> are sort of indispensible to smooth riding.
>
> Since you have raised the topic, the driver was disinclined to give me their
> insurance details, as were the police, so I have had to engage a solicitor
> to recover uninsured losses etc. The system takes us down the legal route,
> whether we want to go there or not. Oh, and plod (West Midlands finest) have
> been very chocolate tea pottish about the whole thing, even though time was
> spent in hospital.

Faced with a similar situation last year (in which WMP were similarly useless),
I eventually sent my damaged forks to Bob Jackson Cycles, who straightened
them out (similar 531 forks on a Thorn machine).

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/repairs_pl.php

Not cheap, but very good workmanship. I got the frame alignment checked and
straightened, plus a new headset and respray as well.

hth
--
Jon
jondotrogersatntlworlddotcom

in article [email protected], Jackbike at me@somewhere
wrote on 20/9/07 10:54:

> Thanks to a kind motorist, I'm looking for a set of front forks for a super
> galaxy. (2004 model, 52cm frame). Any hints, tips, clues as to where to
> source from. LBS tells me they can get some for January, but being an
> impatient sort, would prefer to get some before then. I am willing to part
> with ready money for the right forks.
>
> Thanks for any advice - John

I'd have a custom builder make some, and either get them in black or have
the frame re-sprayed the same colour.

There are a few advantages to a custom made fork- you can choose the
braze-ons, and where they go, the style of crown and the type of drop-outs.
It can be useful on a tourer with full mudguards to have slightly forward
facing drop-outs so that the wheel doesn't have to push against the guard on
the way out. Also, you have to choice not to have drop-outs with
lawyer-lips, so wheel removal and re-fitting can be done without touching
the quick release nut part at all.

I'd probably go to one of the smaller builders for a set of forks, as
they'll have shorter waiting lists.

Lee Cooper: http://lacycles.co.uk/

Dave Yates (who will also repair forks- were your old ones brazed, if so the
crown may be able to be re-used if it is just the blades that are damaged):
http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/

Chas Roberts
http://www.robertscycles.com/

Or the larger ones are:

Mercian
http://www.merciancycles.com/

Bob Jackson
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/

Ben

"Jackbike" <me@somewhere> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks to a kind motorist, I'm looking for a set of front forks for a
> super galaxy. (2004 model, 52cm frame). Any hints, tips, clues as to where
> to source from. LBS tells me they can get some for January, but being an
> impatient sort, would prefer to get some before then. I am willing to part
> with ready money for the right forks.

Try another local shop or St John Street Cycles in case they have something
suitable already in stock. Tell them the model and size of bike and they
should know what's required.

~PB

> Note to self if/when involved in "accident" make sure that I note car eg
> then fall onto floor and ensure taken to hospital. Then surf my clim on
> the back of the Health Athorities claim for the ambulance cost. It's
> always a lot easier if someone else is doing the donkey work

I speak from experience. There is no claim from the health authority to the
victim. Urban myth perhaps. Oh, and dont fall to the ground, you might bang
your head. Ride into the side of a big 4x4 at about 30mph. If you can
arrange for the vehicle to pull out of a junction into your path, it saves a
lot of hassle as well. Hurts a bit though.

For the statasticians amongst you, I did not hurt my head, and no, I wasn't
wearing one.

Jackbike wrote:
>> Note to self if/when involved in "accident" make sure that I note car eg
>> then fall onto floor and ensure taken to hospital. Then surf my clim on
>> the back of the Health Athorities claim for the ambulance cost. It's
>> always a lot easier if someone else is doing the donkey work

> I speak from experience. There is no claim from the health authority to the
> victim.

I didn't mean me/you/victim I meant the claim that the LHT will make
against the vehicles insurance.
Urban myth perhaps. Oh, and dont fall to the ground, you might bang
> your head. Ride into the side of a big 4x4 at about 30mph. If you can
> arrange for the vehicle to pull out of a junction into your path, it saves a
> lot of hassle as well. Hurts a bit though.
>
> For the statasticians amongst you, I did not hurt my head, and no, I wasn't
> wearing one.

You weren't wearing a head? Well done eliminate the need for a H*lm*t at
source!