Front forks - what upgrade?

terrya

Jan 15, 2004
Hiya.

I've been doing some research into forks because I'd like to upgrade the Judy TT on my bike (stock on bike). Forks in my current price range include the Rockshox Duke XC U-turn, the Psylo SL (although I don't know if this comes with V-brake bosses), Manitou Skareb Super and Manitou Axel.

This far my LBS has recommended the Manitou Skareb, but I'm looking at buying online because it'll probably work out cheaper even with shipping costs. I'm in Cape Town where prices can get a bit steep on bike equipment.

Are there any other forks in this range you guys could recommend? Alternatively which of these 4 would be the better option? I'm a pretty serious, hard-riding recreational rider, weigh approx. 95 kg, and my local trail is pretty rocky so while long travel is not that important, it needs to soak the bumps nicely.

Thanks in advance!
Terry

I'd definatley say the Skareb, or maybe a Manitou Black Super or something else in the Black line. I would go with something from Manitou, cause' I personally like them better than Rock Shox, even though Rock Shox are good. But I dunno...

Thanks for the replies guys! The feedback I am getting definitely suggests that Manitou is the way to go.

Bigchina, yes I checked out the Duke and Skareb in the store, and the Manitou was significantly lighter, also seemed to have smoother travel, but that was me pushing it down on the ground rather than riding it.

ManitouSHX, I will check out the black range as well, LBS says they're getting a shipment in tomorrow.

My only concern about the Manitou forks is that a few reviews on mtbr have complained about the "soft" stock springs, and I'm not exactly a featherweight :). Of course the LBS might be prepared to swap 'em for the harder springs.....

I say go for a black. You cant go wrong with a black, get the 80/100, it will be a lot more versatile then a skareb.

Originally posted by Ghr7891
I say go for a black. You cant go wrong with a black, get the 80/100, it will be a lot more versatile then a skareb.

Yeah, I agree. I like the Black 80/100mm travel. I have and 80/100 Black Elite on my Sugar, and a 100mm Black Super Air on my Cake and they're both sweet shocks.
Check those out Terrya, I think that you may like em'.:)

I've used all of those shocks and all are very good. The Psylo, Black, and Duke will perform very similarly since they all use 30mm stanction tubes which will make them similarly as stiff. The skareb is a bit lighter but also a bit flexier due to the skinnier tubes. Honestly the weight difference between the black and the skareb is extremely small.