Front gears won't change (Shimano Sora)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by redwingsfan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. redwingsfan

redwingsfan New Member

Thanks for any help!

I am new to biking, so forgive me not using proper lingo. I've had my road bike for several months, and suddenly, the front gears won't change. It's currently stuck on the large ring (or is called a cog?). My rear gear system is working fine.

I don't know if this matters, but I did notice one difference between the two gear systems. The metal wires from the gears to the dereauliers are at different tensions. The wires are located underneath the bottom of the body of the bike. The rear gear system is working fine and does not have a lot of tension. The front, however, is very taut. Is this my problem?

I'm determined to learn this myself! Any help will be greatly appreciated, even if it proves to be fruitless. I'll consider it a learning opportunity.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

The cable may seem overly taut when the chain is on the larger/outer chainring compared to when the chain is on the small(est) chainring.

If you cannot shift down to the smaller chainring by pressing the OTHER 'lever', then if you bought the bike "new" from a shop within the past 12 months, bring it in & have them get a warranty replacement.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

It sounds as if you have a cable(metal wire) problem or your front derailluer is sticking. You need to determine which it is so use an allen wrench, usually a 5mm, to disconnect the cable were it connects to the front derailleur. If the derailluer springs back to being over the small chain ring, then you have a cable problem. If the cable is loose but the derailluer is still stuck over the large chain ring, then the front derailluer is the problem. If the cable is the problem, replace it. You might also want to get a new cable guide, if it a replaceable nylon one and is several years old,which sits under the bottom bracket(the bottom of the bike). After awhile, a tight groove will wear in the nylon and the cable will pull up into the groove and make it hard or impossible to shift.

If it is the derailluer, remove it and find out why it is not moving and either fix it or replace it. I think that you would benifit from any one of the fine repair manuals that are available in libraries, book stores, or on line (You Tube or Park Tools website).

4. Turbo329

Turbo329 New Member

I had a similar problem and kept adjusting it. It got better but not perfect. I ended up taking it to the shop and my cable was shagged. So I ended up having to replace the cable.

I would check the condition of your cable especially by the hoods and then try readjusting/tightening it.

5. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Overtightened front derailleur cables is the number one cause of bad front shifting on all Shimano road setups. You need just enough tension in that cable to consistently throw the chain to the next ring and hold the cage out far enough so it doesn't rub when you're on the smallest cog in the back. When you're on the smallest cog, in the innermost position, the cable will be visibly slack.