Front light for a Brompton

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian Walker, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    Hi everybody,

    It's nice to be back on URC after quite a long absence. I'm particularly
    pleased to see that everybody's favourite Troll seems to have disappeared,
    although I was subjected to hearing him on the radio not long ago.

    Anyway, I'll de-lurk to ask a quick question. With winter fast approaching
    I've been looking again at the lights on my Brompton. Nice big red LEDs at
    the back - quite happy. At the front I have a Cateye <a
    href="http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=18&catId=7&s
    ubCatId=2">HL-EL400</a>, a three-LED lamp which is nice for the Brompton
    because it rotates on its mounting and so folds out of the way.

    However. This lamp isn't legal as a main light and so I've started to worry
    that in the event of some RangeRovered buffoon running me into their tyre
    tread whilst nattering on their phone and turning round to smack their
    children, I'll be held responsible (and probably made to replace the tyre
    too). So can anyone recommend a suitable light for the Brompton that doesn't
    have to be removed when folding, as I'll only lose/forget it if it has to
    come off?

    Ian Walker
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam. Real contact details (and a
    whole lot more) are on my website at www.drianwalker.com
     
    Tags:


  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ian Walker wrote:

    > So can anyone recommend a suitable light for the Brompton that doesn't
    > have to be removed when folding, as I'll only lose/forget it if it has to
    > come off?


    I've got a SON hub dynamo on my L3, powering a B&M Lumotec. It all
    works quite nicely and it stays on the bike the whole time, no worries
    about batteries. With existing SONs the forks have to be spread a
    little: doesn't seem to have bothered mine, but about Novemeber the new
    narrow version aimed specifically at Bromptons should start landing in
    the shops. I'd get one of those...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  3. Jose Marques

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Peter Clinch wrote:

    > little: doesn't seem to have bothered mine, but about Novemeber the new
    > narrow version aimed specifically at Bromptons should start landing in
    > the shops. I'd get one of those...


    Very interesting, where did you hear this? I decided not to get a SON
    because I didn't want to get my front fork "modified". Will Kinetics be
    selling wheels with them in?

    --
    Jose Marques
     
  4. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Jose
    Marques <[email protected]> writes
    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Peter Clinch wrote:
    >
    >> little: doesn't seem to have bothered mine, but about Novemeber the new
    >> narrow version aimed specifically at Bromptons should start landing in
    >> the shops. I'd get one of those...

    >
    >Very interesting, where did you hear this? I decided not to get a SON
    >because I didn't want to get my front fork "modified".


    There is Brompton email list which is useful for picking up on the
    news.

    > Will Kinetics be
    >selling wheels with them in?
    >

    Probbably, you'd have to ask them.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds
     
  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jose Marques wrote:

    > Very interesting, where did you hear this? I decided not to get a SON
    > because I didn't want to get my front fork "modified". Will Kinetics be
    > selling wheels with them in?


    From the Kinetics bulletin board...

    "We´ve actually got our grubby paws on a SON XS - the extra-narrow
    dynamo hub designed for Bromptons and other folders. This one is still a
    pre-production model, but looks really good - the drag feels as low as
    all the other SON hubs, but it´s noticeably lighter - lighter than the
    standard front hub and bottle dynamo it replaces

    They´ll be available in Novemberish..."

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  6. On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:29:46 +0100, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I've got a SON hub dynamo on my L3, powering a B&M Lumotec. It all
    > works quite nicely and it stays on the bike the whole time, no worries
    > about batteries. With existing SONs the forks have to be spread a
    > little: doesn't seem to have bothered mine, but about Novemeber the new
    > narrow version aimed specifically at Bromptons should start landing in
    > the shops. I'd get one of those...


    Ah, you have a date for the BromSON! What about the SA 8-speed for the
    Brompton? As you can see I'm looking forward to my SuperBrompton with all
    the bells and whistles, maybe not the bell!

    Colin
     
  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Ah, you have a date for the BromSON! What about the SA 8-speed for the
    > Brompton? As you can see I'm looking forward to my SuperBrompton with
    > all the bells and whistles, maybe not the bell!


    Get a Steve Parry special with a Rohloff (he has done one...).

    Since Dundee has a "no motor vehicles" pedestrianised town centre, I
    actually find the wee bell on mine very useful.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  8. On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:09:44 +0100, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, you have a date for the BromSON! What about the SA 8-speed for the
    >> Brompton? As you can see I'm looking forward to my SuperBrompton with
    >> all the bells and whistles, maybe not the bell!

    >
    > Get a Steve Parry special with a Rohloff (he has done one...).


    I know but the Rohloff is 550 pounds while the SA will be <150 and
    sufficient for my Bromptoneering (to be honest 3 speeds are sufficient but
    8 would be nice.) Also I like the idea of the parts being for a Brompton
    rather than having the Brompton adjusted/made for the parts. If/when I do
    get a rRohloff it'll probably go on a different bike. On my recent holiday
    cycling around Snowdonia I was with someone who had a Rohloff on her
    tourer. She was from York (used to work in Cycleworks) and knows Arthur.
    It seemed to suit the rides out there in Wales.

    Colin
     
Loading...
Loading...