Front lights

uphillrider

Jan 9, 2004
Just wandered what the cheapest way was to get a decent set of spot/flood lights (rechargable) on my bike , for on road use.

Originally posted by uphillrider
Just wandered what the cheapest way was to get a decent set of spot/flood lights (rechargable) on my bike , for on road use.
check nashbar.com, they have lights

Originally posted by uphillrider
depends on how much light you want but doing it yourself can be pretty cheap. Plus you can get more light then a HID. If you want to do it I will provide links. All it takes is the light you use a car fog light they don’t look bad at all and are cheep about 25.00 for two.
The key is using the right bulb. If you use a whiter bulb you will get more light with less power. The best bulb is a solux 4700k (the color) it is a very white color and puts out an amazing amount of light that is really white.
It only comes in 35 watts though so it tends to go through batters faster then a regular setup. But for a 12 volt bulb it is brighter then a HID light.
The bulb costs a whole 7.99 or so. Good batteries that would last about two hours will cost you about 60.00 a charger well if you want a nice fast rc charger about 40.00 or a bit less. You can get cheaper too.
I can show pics of my setup.

I for one would like to see your setup. I'm figuring on getting a helmet mounted light and am heading toward the digital 8,15,25W brain controler type as I'd really like to have the "suck the battery dry" power when I wanted it but most of the time would use the 8w setting. (http://www.trailheadlights.com/)

That having been said, I'm certainly open to having my mind changed by a neato DIY setup.

Pat

I've found that 10W on the helmet and 5W on the handlebars is heaps for night rides

you can DIY with halogen lights from hardware stores and DIY battery packs from any electronics store