Front mech dropping chain

Quote: Originally Posted by Owboduz .
This should be better.

FYI. While it might be difficult for you to "chase" that thread, YOU can remedy the above problem with a standard FLAT FILE whereby you simply knock down that last bit of thread to provide a clean engaging RAMP ...

• shorten the bolt as-necessary (by a couple of millimeters) if that facilitates the process for you ...

Did no one take a "shop" class in the past 40 years?!?

alfeng said:
FYI.  While it might be difficult for you to "chase" that thread, YOU can remedy the above problem with a standard FLAT FILE whereby you simply knock down that last bit of thread to provide a clean engaging RAMP ... 
  • shorten the bolt as-necessary ([COLOR=A9A9A9]by a couple of millimeters[/COLOR]) if that facilitates the process for you ...
Did no one take a "shop" class in the past 40 years?!?
A) this is a brand new bike. I shouldn't have to be doing this at all. Warranty request is in, since this is obviously a defect in workmanship, it should be trivial. B) a new barrel shifter is a better option than a flat file since 1) I don't have any files except the one on my multi tool (I'm an electronic engineer and my tools reflect that) and 2) that guarantees me a pristine thread for a reasonable price. I'm hoping that the vendor either sends me a new shifter cable and a new barrel shifter, (and maybe a crimper, since I don't have one for steel cables) or that they tell me to take it to a LBS and send them the bill.

Originally Posted by Owboduz
And, once again, a different shifter will not fix an incorrectly installed derailleur and barrel adjuster. We all know you like Campagnolo. I'm not arguing against them. I'm arguing that changing shifters won't change a derailleur from incorrectly installed to correctly installed.
Actually, different shifters can-and-will make a difference ...

Unfortunately, Shimano shifers were designed with an eccentric take-up spool for the derailleur cables ...

THAT frequently translates as requiring a slightly exaggerated cage motion to ensure the chain is moved from chainring to chainring ...

Once again, for the record, "I love Shimano components" ...

• The "dwell" which is built into Shimano shifters is what I have deduced is a legacy from the same design team which brought us BioPace chainrings
  • if there were no "dwell" then there probably would not have been the mass migration to SRAM if the multitude of people who use SRAM say they don't prefer the shifting of
    SRAM shifters vs. Shimano shifters then they are probably clueless as to why they bought SRAM other than for the me-too factor
  • it REALLY doesn't bother me when people unnecessarily pony up more to "upgrade" their Tiagra-or-Sora-or-105-or-Ultegra drivetrains with whatever they perceive is better in the Shimano lineup OR to Di2 ... but, all the gushing by the paid reviewers and writers about how well the Di2 electronic shifting operates merely echoes what I-and-other Campagnolo users who have mechanical Campagnolo shifters already experiences
  • and supposedly, SRAM users now that the front derailleur's limitations have been attended to

I have owned Ultegra & 105 shifters/derailleurs ... matched component groups.

I still have a set of unused Ultegra shifters (what was I thinking?!?) ...

I do NOT have a random preference for Campagnolo shifters ...

I have tested the Campagnolo shifters with vintage unramped-and-unpinned, thin-by-today's-standards chainrings just to test their limits ... a limit which I know that none of my mechanical Shimano shifters would be able to handle under normal-for-me riding on the mountain roads around here & the shifters moved the chain effortlessly because I was able to better adjust the front derailleur ....

The Campagnolo shifters not only work well with "old" chainrings, they work with ANY cable operated front derailleur ...

Here is a very-late-70s vintage Dura Ace front derailleur which is mated to a 10-speed Campagnolo Chorus shifter + 9-speed Shimano chain ...

Campagnolo's mechanical shifters simply work better than Shimano's mechanical shifters -- no balking when under a load + they have the added benefit of costing less (yes, the rest of the Campagnolo components generally cost MORE but are unnecessary).

If Shimano's engineers would simply make the take-up spool concentric, then Shimano shifters could easily match Campagnolo's & SRAM's mechanical efficiency.

I reckon the MicroShift shifters (which are Shimano compatible, AFAIK) may actually function BETTER than Shimano's shifters!!!

alfeng said:
Actually, different shifters can-and-will make a difference ...  
This is all wildly off topic for a thread that started with the correct adjustment procedure and now breaks down to a warranty repair. I'm not replacing brand new components. No quantity of arguments will convince me otherwise. If I were going to sink more money into a brand new bike, the budget would be allocated to better wheels next, not new shifters.

This is all wildly off topic for a thread that started with the correct adjustment procedure and now breaks down to a warranty repair.

I'm not replacing brand new components. No quantity of arguments will convince me otherwise. If I were going to sink more money into a brand new bike, the budget would be allocated to better wheels next, not new shifters.
IMO, it's a problem that is NOT worth fretting over since the solution, itself, IS trivial ...
And so, the battle is NOT worth fighting, IMO.

I do understand that for you it is the principle of the matter ...

So, if you must, then you must!

I personally know other people who share your attitude about this-or-that & complain, regardless.

However, for THAT problem, it would NOT be worth my time to bring the "part" back to an LBS
(if I had bought it locally) ...

OR to mail it back ...

Because it is a 3-to-10 minute "fix" (depending on a person's facility to do manual tasks).

BTW. If I did not have files, then I would buy some ... but, I don't take pride in not being able to DIY ...

• my brother has a PhD in Electrical Engineering and he probably has as-many-or-more MECHANICAL tools as I have

BTW2. Not to diminish the expense of your purchase, but I guess that I am more realistic about what I am getting ...

And, if the rest of the bike was sound, then (IMO) you probably already got a fair value.

BTW3. Somewhat related -- when a kitchen knife becomes dull, do you buy another OR do you sharpen it OR do you take it someplace to have it sharpened?

Are you going to rely on the-kindness-of-others when you are on your longer ride(s)?

I'm just asking ...

BTW4. You apparently choose to miss my point about the different brands of shifters. THAT's okay, of course.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
You shouldn't have to go through this on a new bike.
Originally Posted by alfeng BTW2. Not to diminish the expense of your purchase, but I guess that I am more realistic about what I am getting ...

And, if the rest of the bike was sound, then (IMO) you probably already got a fair value.
What, I should replace my shifters because the production mechanic didn't install the derailleur correctly and jammed my barrel adjuster? That makes no sense. I am realistic. I expect things to be installed according to the dealer manual. Because, you know, they're a dealer. The manual is for them. When a company doesn't do the job right, I expect them to take responsibility for that and make amends.

Not withstanding that, I knew that the Claris groupset was the low end of the road bike groupsets. Not only that, but I don't even have a full Claris groupset; I have Tektro R315 brakes, an unbranded crankset, and an unbranded square-taper bottom bracket. I was prepared to replace some or all of the groupset if and when I was unhappy with the performance of the element(s) in question.

Currently, I am happy with shifting performance when the front derailleur is installed and adjusted properly. Despite not having full use of the front barrel adjuster, I seem to have manage to get the setup right, so I currently have smooth, perfect shifts.

Originally Posted by alfeng BTW3. Somewhat related -- when a kitchen knife becomes dull, do you buy another OR do you sharpen it OR do you take it someplace to have it sharpened?

Are you going to rely on the-kindness-of-others when you are on your longer ride(s)?

I'm just asking ...
That depends on the knife.

If it's a cheap knife that won't hold an edge, I go buy a new one, preferably one that will actually hold an edge.
If it's a ceramic knife, I get it professionally re-edged or I replace it.
If it's a good quality steel knife, I sharpen it.

Generally, I'm the one being kind to others on longer rides. I'm the one who takes a saddle-mount toolkit with me. I'm the one who's willing to stop for others. I'm the one with a patch kit and spare tubes. I'm not saying there aren't others who take the same view. I'm just explaining that, once again, you don't know me.

Originally Posted by alfeng
BTW4. You apparently choose to miss my point about the different brands of shifters. THAT's okay, of course.
I didn't miss your point. Your point isn't relevant to the discussion, so I didn't respond to it. I'll take it under advisement if I decide to change components. Like I said, as long as my shifting performance is good when installed and adjusted properly, I have no interest in changing components.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I'll bet the male thread took most of the damage and the female (frame) thread is pretty intact.
Looks like you were right. The female (frame) thread appears to have a small amount of wear, but it's largely intact.

I still can't get my mind around the idea of someone installing a device which is meant to be moved by hand, getting part way, where it sticks, and saying "Well, I'm half-way there, might as well drive it the rest of the way in!"

Happens all the time. Yesterday I had to toss the stem and find a replacement for a cheap Scott MTB I finished building. One of the bolts was cross-threaded.

These bikes are assembled in China by workers making probably $2 a day. Maybe they're on piecework. Do you think it makes sense for them to hold up the line for a crossed thread?

Quote by Alf:
"Once again, for the record, "I love Shimano components" ..."

You're dead to me, Alf. Dead!
big-smile.png

J/K!

We all have our faults and God help me I have a soft spot for Miche, Gipiemme and Modolo! And one of these days I swear I'm going to build a bike up with SRAM (they have almost got to the point where they know what they are doing) to see what all the hub bub is about.

Qwboduz, have the shop use a tap and chase those female threads before installing new adjuster sleeves.

Quote by OBC:
"These bikes are assembled in China by workers making probably $2 a day."

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords! iPotaotos have never been cheaper.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Qwboduz, have the shop use a tap and chase those female threads before installing new adjuster sleeves.
I'll have to make the call whether I'm doing this myself or getting a shop to do it. I might pick up a tap set... and a cable cutter/crimper. The vendor has said that they will send me a new barrel adjuster, a new cable if I need one, and if I'd rather have the LBS do the work, that I should hold on to the receipt and they will reimburse me.

That's the outcome I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
Quote by Alf:
"Once again, for the record, "I love Shimano components" ..."

You're dead to me, Alf. Dead!
big-smile.png

J/K!

We all have our faults and God help me I have a soft spot for Miche, Gipiemme and Modolo! And one of these days I swear I'm going to build a bike up with SRAM (they have almost got to the point where they know what they are doing) to see what all the hub bub is about.

LOL!

BTW. I can understand appreciating the past & current efforts by Miche & Gipiemme ..

• Other than being intrigued by Modolo's "black" components, I never developed an appreciation for Modolo ...

And, while I appreciate how clever the Double-Tap mechanism is AND while I was-and-am one of the few people who actually likes GripShifts, I find that what I perceive to be SRAM's business model to be one which I choose not to support ...

• THAT flawed model is more than just a belief in poor customer service ...
  • it is a business model which I perceive was born in the mind of some MBA not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but ...

Quote: Originally Posted by Owboduz .
Absolutely! It is the principle of the thing! It's about holding companies to account and expecting decent workmanship and customer service.

This vendor sent me a multitool with the bike. A nice inclusion! But it didn't have a 4mm hex driver and the bike uses mostly 4mm hex bolts. I contacted them about this and they said they shipped the same multitool with all their bikes and it was bad luck that my bike used 4mm hex bolts. I pointed out that the multitool they had shipped me came with TWO 3mm hex drivers. They shipped me a new one. This is no different.

Could I "fix" that adjuster? Yes. Will I fix it in the way you suggest? Maybe. TBH, I'll probably go with whatever oldbobcat says if the vendor doesn't come through. I've agreed with what he's had to say so far:
I wish you would stop making assumptions about the situation I am in. I shouldn't have to tell you that I had a lot of tools. I shouldn't have to tell you that I had to sell many of my tools and put most of the rest in storage. I shouldn't have to tell you that I moved to another country for work and my wife and I packed everything into two pallets. I shouldn't have to tell you that with my 9-month old daughter, I have priorities other than tools. Don't tell me that I take pride in not being able to DIY. You don't know me.

It doesn't matter that a set of files isn't expensive. I'm looking at the tradeoff between filing down threads, which can go wrong, and replacing the bolt, which is pretty-well guaranteed to go right. The bolt in the barrel adjuster is a sub-$10 part. This is an obvious decision.

But maybe you're not used to ordering things with Amazon Prime. They deliver tomorrow. Guess where I would buy files? I'll take the replacement barrel adjuster, thanks.

What, I should replace my shifters because the production mechanic didn't install the derailleur correctly and jammed my barrel adjuster? That makes no sense. I am realistic. I expect things to be installed according to the dealer manual. Because, you know, they're a dealer. The manual is for them. When a company doesn't do the job right, I expect them to take responsibility for that and make amends.

Not withstanding that, I knew that the Claris groupset was the low end of the road bike groupsets. Not only that, but I don't even have a full Claris groupset; I have Tektro R315 brakes, an unbranded crankset, and an unbranded square-taper bottom bracket. I was prepared to replace some or all of the groupset if and when I was unhappy with the performance of the element(s) in question.

Currently, I am happy with shifting performance when the front derailleur is installed and adjusted properly. Despite not having full use of the front barrel adjuster, I seem to have manage to get the setup right, so I currently have smooth, perfect shifts.

That depends on the knife.

If it's a cheap knife that won't hold an edge, I go buy a new one, preferably one that will actually hold an edge.
If it's a ceramic knife, I get it professionally re-edged or I replace it.
If it's a good quality steel knife, I sharpen it.

Generally, I'm the one being kind to others on longer rides. I'm the one who takes a saddle-mount toolkit with me. I'm the one who's willing to stop for others. I'm the one with a patch kit and spare tubes. I'm not saying there aren't others who take the same view. I'm just explaining that, once again, you don't know me.

I didn't miss your point. Your point isn't relevant to the discussion, so I didn't respond to it. I'll take it under advisement if I decide to change components. Like I said, as long as my shifting performance is good when installed and adjusted properly, I have no interest in changing components.

OY!!!

Before I begin, let me say that

I am glad that you got the outcome you were hoping for ....

Now, despite your protestation, you do (continue to) miss the point ...

YOU should NOT replace your shifters ...

• YOU made that option clearly unacceptable for you when you opted for your "new" Road bike rather than retrofitting your old Hybrid bike with Drop handlebars + Road shifters replacement components, if any, are the bike owner's prerogative
  • as it was your prerogative to want a replacement for the cable adjuster whose thread is damaged BUT, you have to realize that there are lurkers in most threads for whom the posted queries & replies may be important
  • so, while you may be the principal person in this thread, you are not the only reader many-or-most may follow your path
  • some may agree that it is easier to remedy the problem without a return trip to an LBS or going through the process/hassle of contact + mailing the part back + re-installing such a trivial component that is, often the part needs to be sent back before a replacement is sent
  • depending on your multi-tool, the file may be adequate to clean up the damaged threads on the barrel adjuster possibly, something worth investigating at some future point in time if only to determine the limits of your multi-tool
  • because, I think that the file which is often found on a pair of nail clippers could be used to clean up the threads on the damaged barrel adjuster (yes, it would probably take a longer amount of time than you would want to spend unless you were desperate)
[*]regardless, I suspect that it is your expressed Lord-or-the-Manor attitude which is stereotypical of one of the reasons why the British Empire was lost
[*]other than the earlier suggestion in the earlier thread where I suggested that you could simply install Drop handlebars + (specifically) Campagnolo shifters (because I perceive it as the most economical option) I was trying to indicate the fastest-and-easiest option is always (IMO) to simply replace the Shimano shifters with another brand ...
  • I don't know what the Claris shifters would sell for on eBay, but I do know that the "better" Shimano Road shifters command almost when "used" shifters as a new pair of the less expensive Campagnolo shifters would cost on eBay due to a lack of demand of the latter
  • so, it was-and-is a "why not?" situation, IMO because the components on a bike when it is unpacked are generally NOT wedded to a frameset
  • and, there is nothing wrong with being a wise shopper
[*]so, don't worry about your shifters at this point in time, but RATHER take it as an advisement & information that there is a known design issue (whether it is a problem or not is up to the end user) with the design of Shimano's MECHANICAL Road shifters which does not exist in the design of Campagnolo, SRAM (which will cost MORE than an inexpensive set of Campagnolo shifters), and (presumably) MicroShift shifters (which I believe will cost the same-as-or-more-than a set of Campagnolo shifters).

That's a long way of reiterating the point was-and-is simply that the shifters CAN BE relevant to how readily the derailleurs function and/or can be adjusted ...

• even oldbobcat has previously expressed having had some difficulty adjusting a front derailleur (which as not connected to a Campagnolo shifter) ... at least once ... THAT may simply be a consequence of the thin air at Boulder's high altitude because two other people from the Boulder area seem to have expressed a similar sentiment in the past

• WHY struggle with a poor design once it is understood that a better option exists?

• And, as I noted, while some people have chosen SRAM (yuk!!!) for the me-too effect, SOME migration to SRAM has been for other reasons.

BTW. The person to whom you refer as the "production mechanic" is undoubtedly merely an under-paid assembler whose task is (presumably) to ensure that a specific-and/or-ALL the component(s) (depending on where s/he is in the assembly line) is/are included ...

As suggested by oldbobcat, that person is probably making as little as $2-per-day ...

So, IMO, to expect the same level of "quality control" on a truly mass produced bike as one would find on a bike which might cost 10x as much which is really very unrealistic due to time constraints in the former case which are in place to ensure a price point.

AND, one of the reasons that a person theoretically benefits from buying a bike in person from a brick-and-mortar bike shop is because the shop's Wrench presumably ensures that everything on the bike is good-to-go when it rolls out the door.

• in addition to replacing "defective" components, I would not be surprised if oldbobcat has occasionally chosen to check and/or to remedy the workmanship (i.e., assembly and/or adjustments) of either his subordinates or of the work performed in the past by another bike shop from-time-to-time.

BTW2. The "unbranded" square taper BB & crank on your current Road bike are undoubtedly heavier than a crankset which could cost as much as you paid for your current Road bike ... but, presuming the crankarms on your bike don't come loose from the spindle AND are not abused by the bike being left in the elements, they (and, the BB) can last much longer than you might currently anticipate ...

• FYI. One of the many cranksets which I have is a Campagnolo UT Chorus crankset which is currently listed as being between [COLOR=rgb(177, 39, 4) !important]$394.94 - $790.00[/COLOR] on one Amazon.com page [your apparent preferred retailer]... no, I do not recall what I paid for mine ... it wasn't even close to $790 no, I don't know why I opted to buy it or some other components which I have other than for momentary, whimsical reasons
  • that is, IMO, one's aesthetic sensibility can be a valid reason for choosing-this-or-that AND would be a reason to NOT buy the current generation (V3) of Campagnolo shifters because their fugliness continues to exceed their utility!
[*]is a Chorus UT crankset really THAT MUCH better than the current crankset on your bike?
  • the Chorus UT crankset is nice, BUT probably not that much better when push-comes-to-shove as long the derailleurs are mated to you-know-the-brand shfiters!!!
  • would someone be foolish to pay $790 for just a crankset? Some people apparently pay MORE for Super-/Record cranksets!!

Tektro brake calipers should not be dismissed as being that much less efficient than more expensive "branded" (e.g., Shimano & Campagnolo) calipers under most riding circumstances. In fact, Tektro brake calipers are probably better than the ultra-light, high-zoot calipers which may not be as stiff.

• As long as the pads (on any Road brake caliper) are not glazed, then ensuring that your cables are properly lubed and/or NOT kinked will go a long way toward almost any contemporary Road brake caliper being efficient at slowing-or-stopping (as is the case desired by the rider) a bike.

BTW3. I hope that if-or-when the time ever comes for new-or-different components for your bike that you continue to support Shimano rather than opt for Campagnolo shifters/components because someone has to keep that behemoth in business so that I will be able to continue to source my chains from them!
smile.png

Originally Posted by alfeng Did no one take a "shop" class in the past 40 years?!?
Originally Posted by alfeng BTW. If I did not have files, then I would buy some ... but, I don't take pride in not being able to DIY ...

• my brother has a PhD in Electrical Engineering and he probably has as-many-or-more MECHANICAL tools as I have

BTW3. Somewhat related -- when a kitchen knife becomes dull, do you buy another OR do you sharpen it OR do you take it someplace to have it sharpened?

These sorts of comments look to me like insinuations that I am lazy, or not capable, or a mindless consumer, or have a bad attitude.

Again, if that was not your intent, then I apologise. If that was your intent, on the other hand....

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions about mixed-manufacturer groupsets. I will consider mixing manufacturers if I decide to upgrade my drivetrain. Currently, I'm happy with 2x8. I've only wanted more gears a couple of times now. Not enough to convince me that 11 is necessary for my purposes. We'll see how I do after my charity ride.

I don't know why you're trying to convince me that I should leave my crankset, bottom bracket, and brakes alone... I wasn't complaining about them, I was just explaining that it's not like I got a full matching groupset. The terms I applied to these parts are the same as the terms I applied to the Shimano bits. As long as they work properly, I'll leave them alone.

I'll have to make the call whether I'm doing this myself or getting a shop to do it. I might pick up a tap set... and a cable cutter/crimper. The vendor has said that they will send me a new barrel adjuster, a new cable if I need one, and if I'd rather have the LBS do the work, that I should hold on to the receipt and they will reimburse me.

That's the outcome I wanted.
Sounds like pretty fair dinkum to me. You've put enough time and sweat into this new bike.

I'm not Australian, but I think it's fun to talk like one sometimes.

I received the cable, ends and barrel adjuster. After clearing the with PTFE lube and an m5 machine screw, I was able to fit the barrel adjuster with no trouble. This is due in part, no doubt, to the little o-rings that came on the new adjuster, which stop the spring from separating the adjuster body from the screw. The only trouble I had was with cutting the cable. I borrowed a cable cutter from a co-worker. It just mangled the cable. So I pulled out the trusty old SOG powerassist, which just sliced through the cable. Crimped the cable end better too. I'm happy to report that, despite a QA snafu, I'm quite happy with my Vitus Razor.