Front Mech Needed (Mtb)

Ratiocinator

Jul 20, 2006
My front mech has seized after only a few months of use. It is a Shimano Deore used on an Intense 6.6.

It seized because the main shaft corroded. Now I would argue that using basic steel for such a component is foolish. I am sure that Shimano would disagree because using such an unsuited material ensures component failure and more derailleur units sold, to replace the seized ones, and increases their profits. Why a high quality stainless steel, at the very least, could not have been used goes beyond reason (certainly morality). This shaft is tiny; using stainless steel would not significantly add to the cost of each unit.

I expect many of you would think me foolish and argue that I should have kept it covered in grease. Perhaps I should have, had I known how poorly designed the thing was. I would never design a front mech that needs to be constantly covered in grease; it increases maintenance work time, cost, causes pollution, is messy, and is overall a hassle.

Anyway, I need a replacement front mech and, obviously, I am not keen to buy another Shimano Deore, or any Shimano for that matter if I can help it. Please could you recommend a decent front mech? Preferably one that will not seize/is made using high quality materials. It needs to be compatible with my existing Deore 9-speed shifter.

Thanks.

I have owned 7 Shimano FDs. One has been on the same bike since '92, and another since '96. The only one I have ever managed to break was struck by the bumper of a car as I was wiped out from the side. Don't be too quick to condemn Shimano.

Ratiocinator said:
My front mech has seized after only a few months of use. It is a Shimano Deore used on an Intense 6.6.

It seized because the main shaft corroded. Now I would argue that using basic steel for such a component is foolish. I am sure that Shimano would disagree because using such an unsuited material ensures component failure and more derailleur units sold, to replace the seized ones, and increases their profits. Why a high quality stainless steel, at the very least, could not have been used goes beyond reason (certainly morality). This shaft is tiny; using stainless steel would not significantly add to the cost of each unit.

I expect many of you would think me foolish and argue that I should have kept it covered in grease. Perhaps I should have, had I known how poorly designed the thing was. I would never design a front mech that needs to be constantly covered in grease; it increases maintenance work time, cost, causes pollution, is messy, and is overall a hassle.

Anyway, I need a replacement front mech and, obviously, I am not keen to buy another Shimano Deore, or any Shimano for that matter if I can help it. Please could you recommend a decent front mech? Preferably one that will not seize/is made using high quality materials. It needs to be compatible with my existing Deore 9-speed shifter.
FWIW. The LESSON you should have learned from your experience isn't that Shimano makes crappy front derailleurs (or, any other component), but rather that you DO need to perform SOME maintenance on your "stuff" ...

Otherwise, when you start driving a car, or own ANYTHING else, you will sound really stupid when you want to know why (for example) you paid thousands of Dollars/Pounds/Euros/whatever for a vehicle that doesn't have lifetime lubrication/whatever ... why do I have to change the oil? why don't the windshield wiper blades last forever? why isn't the glass on the windshield chip proof? why did the headlamps burn out?

So, take a breath ... presuming you still have the front derailleur, put a couple of drops of HOUSEHOLD OIL on the pivots ... set it aside for a day ... then, put a couple of more drops on the pivots ... set it aside, again. On the third day, or whenever you remember, try to move the cage MANUALLY (not with the gear shifter!) ... if it doesn't move, put a couple of more drops on the pivots, set it aside, and REPEAT AS NECESSARY until you are able to 'free' the mechanism.

After the mechansim MOVES, again, you want to "rinse" the remaining rust away by repeating the process, but instead of waiting, you will wipe the rusty oil away with a paper towel AND THEN repeat until the oil you wipe away from the mechanism is "clear."

At that point, the front derailleur will be good-to-go, again, and you can re-install it on your bike.

NB. If you're going to ride through muck, then you have to rinse off your bike off if you care about it + ensure that the moving parts are properly lubricated.

Thank you both for your replies, and I apologize for taking so long to respond!

Thanks for your advice, alfeng, but I fear my front mech is beyond redemption! I would like a more reliable one, anyway; a hardier example of a derailleur. One better designed to cope with what is normally and reasonably expected of it, without having to perform constant maintenance tasks on it.

I spoke with the shop and was advised to buy either of the following two derailleurs, which are compatible with my Deore shifter:

Shimano XT,

Sram X9.

So if anyone is able to advise me on which one of the two to get, please post!

Ratiocinator said:
I would like a more reliable one, anyway; a hardier example of a derailleur. One better designed to cope with what is normally and reasonably expected of it, without having to perform constant maintenance tasks on it.

I spoke with the shop and was advised to buy either of the following two derailleurs, which are compatible with my Deore shifter:

Shimano XT,

Sram X9.

So if anyone is able to advise me on which one of the two to get, please post!
FWIW. Between the two, I would choose the Shimano XT front derailleur.

I have both XT & ACERA front derailleurs -- I believe the ACERA is one step below the Deore line, if not lower!

Honestly, the only significant difference is in the clamp. Really! Essentially, the ACERA clamps are often stamped steel, and the XT clamps are cast alloy.

The difference in the clamp material accounts for most of the weight differences of Shimano's front derailleurs. Regardless, you will note that the weight difference is negligible compared to the difference in the weights of Shimano's rear derailleurs.

Please note that if you choose not to do minimal maintenance, the XT front derailleur will seize up, too!

NB. Front derailleurs are generally VERY specific to the shifter being used ... if your old derailleur is 8-speed specific, then you will want to replace it with one that is also an 8-speed specific front derailleur. If it was a 9-speed specific front derailleur, then you will want a 9-speed specific front derailleur. The chain (which you will need to change at some point of time in the future) also needs to "match."

I don't know if the particular SRAM front derailleur is "Shimano compatible" (some are) OR SRAM specific ... some SRAM front/rear derailleurs were/are, most aren't, now. You could be inviting unintended (by you) problems if you opt for the SRAM front derailleur -- READ THE INFORMATION/(specs) ON THE BOX (or, instruction sheet) CAREFULLY to ensure that it says that the SRAM X9 front derailleur is sompatible before you buy it.

Regardless, I doubt the SRAM front derailleur could survive neglect.

Thanks again, alfeng.

Those two derailleurs were recommended as, according to the shop, they are both compatible with the Deore 9-speed shifter. I was told they ratio is 1:1.

Obviously, after my previous experience with Shimano, I am strongly considering the Sram.

I will see what happens concerning the maintenance situation. I am disgusted with the poor quality of design on offer in general for derailleurs. Of course, I could be wrong, perhaps there are ones out there made of metals that will not rust.

I will, however, endeavour to spray WD40 over the new derailleur after each ride, as advised.

Ratiocinator said:
I will see what happens concerning the maintenance situation. I am disgusted with the poor quality of design on offer in general for derailleurs. Of course, I could be wrong, perhaps there are ones out there made of metals that will not rust.
Derailleur designs have been evolving over the decades ...

IMO. The ONLY really poor material choice for derailleurs was made by SIMPLEX when they chose to use Delrin (THE super-duper material of the 60s).
Ratiocinator said:
I will, however, endeavour to spray WD40 over the new derailleur after each ride, as advised.
FWIW. If you are going to use WD40, then cover the tires with some newspaper to prevent any overspray/splatter from hitting the rubber.

alfeng said:
Derailleur designs have been evolving over the decades ...
All they need do is use stainless steel. It is not even that expensive, especially in the quantities needed for derailleur manufacture.

alfeng said:
IMO. The ONLY really poor material choice for derailleurs was made by SIMPLEX when they chose to use Delrin (THE super-duper material of the 60s).
FWIW. If you are going to use WD40, then cover the tires with some newspaper to prevent any overspray/splatter from hitting the rubber.
Thanks. I am probably too lazy to do that, but will try!

alfeng said:
Please note that if you choose not to do minimal maintenance, the XT front derailleur will seize up, too!
I have to confess that I have never given any of my FDs the slightest attention from a maintenance point of view, other than to ensure that cable length and limit screws were correctly adjusted.