Front mech siezed - any ideas?

Wayne

Guest
Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the last
few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever was
solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong and find
that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried cleaning it
and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its broken but
wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to fix and if not,
any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.

Wayne.

wayne wrote:
> Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the
> last few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever
> was solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong
> and find that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried
> cleaning it and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its
> broken but wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to
> fix and if not, any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.

Hi Wayne Did you not like the answers you got on uk.rec.cycling?

"wayne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the
> last few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever
> was solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong
> and find that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried
> cleaning it and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its
> broken but wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to
> fix and if not, any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.
>
> Wayne.

Look at the cable not the mech. Front mechs almost never break.
--
Slacker

it happened to me once, it was after an anal atempt to clean the housing stops, somehow dislodged
the cable head from it's place in the shifters and it went between the two parts of the shell that
are not so tightly joined at the same level of the cable entrance, after a couple of not so gentle
atempts to loosen the resistence i ended up jamming it, only solved after opening it and finding out
what happened. both parts of the shell were damaged and the gap is now bigger, which is no problem
at all if you don't have a tendency of falling in the sand and burying your shifters in it, like i
do, but a small patch of duct tape covers that up in a place that noone can see and ... wait let me
check... yes it's been there for months of mud, rain and carwash, no problem at all.

Take the derailleur of the frame. Now work the shifter. If it works easy your down one. Now it could
be the cable or the housing. Work the derailleur in hand. Find the bad part and replace it. If its
the derailleur replace it with a Shimano LX about 30 USA bucks.

Fire up MTB 03

[email protected] wrote:
> Take the derailleur of the frame. Now work the shifter. If it works easy your down
> one. Now it could be the cable or the housing. Work the derailleur in hand. Find
> the bad part and replace it. If its the derailleur replace it with a Shimano LX
> about 30 USA bucks.
>
> Fire up MTB 03

Thanks for all the replies. I have already had the shifter off the bike and worked it with wd-40,
although it has eased a little it's not right and it wont shift when on the bike. I checked the
cable and theres no sticking there, it's just the mech. itself thats gone really stiff. I just dont
understand how one day it's fine, the very next it's solid, I just wonder with the bad weather we've
been having if it's road salt or something that has got inside.

Looks like a new one for me ;-)

Regards Wayne.

wayne <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the
> last few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever
> was solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong
> and find that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried
> cleaning it and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its
> broken but wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to
> fix and if not, any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.
>
> Wayne.

Wanna buy an XTR?

JD

> possible to fix and if not, any recommendations on a replacement please?
>> Thanks in advance.

Try a deore XT they are a little sterdier and not too expensive, shouldnt be more than £20. Wouldnt
bother trying to fix it, its made almost as a throw away part.

>Look at the cable not the mech. Front mechs almost never break.

:) been through 4 in the last 2 years just from the pivot points wearing
out, admitadly one ddi come loose and jammed in the chain wheel (that one got bent in 1/2) Howard

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:20:11 +0000, wayne <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the last
>few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever was
>solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong and
>find that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried
>cleaning it and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its
>broken but wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to fix
>and if not, any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.
>
>Wayne.

Get rid of it and don't bother replacing it. Might as well get rid of the rear also......you know
the drill....or do you?

:-]

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:20:11 +0000, wayne <[email protected]> wrote: Get rid of it and don't bother
> replacing it. Might as well get rid of the rear also......you know the drill....or do you?

I know the drill...the dentist drill you're starting to sound like with all that SS stuff. ;^)

Mike - eeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeEEEeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeEEEE!!!!!!!

Go for the best Shimano one you can aford, if the rest of your set up is Shimano, but there's really
no need to upgrade, Deore is very good. Did you clean and lube it many times before it broke? Ollie