Front Mech siezed - any ideas?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wayne, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the last
    few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever was
    solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong and find
    that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried cleaning it
    and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its broken but
    wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to fix and if not,
    any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.

    Wayne.

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "wayne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the
    > last few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever
    > was solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong
    > and find that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried
    > cleaning it and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its
    > broken but wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to
    > fix and if not, any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Wayne.

    This is exactly what happened to my much older Shimano Fr Mech. I just sprayed it with GT-85
    (similar to WD-40) and kept working it back and forth, I even soaked a rag in GT-85 and wrapped
    it around the mech to keep it soaked in the stuff overnight. It's still not 100%, but it's
    getting there.

    Dave.

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "wayne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've got a rockhopper thats about 9 mths old. I've been using it to travel to work for the
    > last few weeks and everything was fine. Then I went to change up on the front mech and the lever
    > was solid, I couldn't change up. I have taken it off the bike this weekend to see what is wrong
    > and find that its really stiff. The spring does not return it the lower ring setting, I've tried
    > cleaning it and spraying it with wd-40 and working it loose but it's still stiff. I think its
    > broken but wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Its a Shimano Deore. Is it possible to
    > fix and if not, any recommendations on a replacement please? Thanks in advance.

    Me, I'd replace it with another Deore. This is perfectly adequate for the job if maintained ;-)

    The only way to get the old one working, short of disassembley, is to keep working it manually with
    loads of WD then when it eventually becomes free apply some light oil.

    Pete

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:07:12 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is exactly what happened to my much older Shimano Fr Mech. I just sprayed it with GT-85
    >(similar to WD-40) and kept working it back and forth, I even soaked a rag in GT-85 and wrapped
    >it around the mech to keep it soaked in the stuff overnight. It's still not 100%, but it's
    >getting there.

    How can it get that bad, I wonder? I've never had a front mech sieze, and I'm responsible for
    maintaining at least half a dozen in my bike shed alone. They're not exactly a complex mechanism,
    after all!

    If one did sieze, I would suggest dismantling it as far as possible and doing the "Sheldon Shake"
    with the bits to wash out the crud, then reassemble and lube it with a wax-based lubricant which
    doesn't turn dirt into well-adhering grinding paste. But of course that's my solution to just about
    anything to do with drivetrains :)

    I would also check the cables and guides, especially if they go under the BB. If they get gritty the
    levers are going to struggle.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:07:12 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>This is exactly what happened to my much older Shimano Fr Mech. I just sprayed it with GT-85
    >>(similar to WD-40) and kept working it back and forth, I even soaked a rag in GT-85 and wrapped
    >>it around the mech to keep it soaked in the stuff overnight. It's still not 100%, but it's
    >>getting there.
    >

    > How can it get that bad, I wonder? I've never had a front mech sieze, and I'm responsible for
    > maintaining at least half a dozen in my bike shed alone. They're not exactly a complex mechanism,
    > after all!
    >
    > If one did sieze, I would suggest dismantling it as far as possible and doing the "Sheldon Shake"
    > with the bits to wash out the crud, then reassemble and lube it with a wax-based lubricant which
    > doesn't turn dirt into well-adhering grinding paste. But of course that's my solution to just
    > about anything to do with drivetrains :)
    >
    > I would also check the cables and guides, especially if they go under the BB. If they get gritty
    > the levers are going to struggle.
    >
    > Guy

    I just dont understand how I can use it one day and the very next it's solid! Anyway thanks for the
    replies, I have tried working it loose but it's not free enough to shift properly. I guess I will
    have to buy another one!

    Regards Wayne.

  6. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    >How can it get that bad, I wonder? I've never had a front mech sieze,

    It gets that bad by living in Cambridge. It is so flat that when I was living there I would not
    necessarily use the front mech in a given year - then of course it seizes.