Front Mech

Jimbob

Guest
Hi!

Busy speccing bits for my tourer frame. I've got an XT rear mech/11-32 cassette. I would like to
mate this to a 30-42-52 chainset, this would be something like a 105 triple.

Could I use an bottom pull XT front mech with this, assuming I am going for straight bars &
XT shifters?

Or could I use a road front mech (105?), with road triple, drops and STi's? I would be mating this
with the same XT & 11-32 combination above.

Feasible?

> Hi!
>
> Busy speccing bits for my tourer frame. I've got an XT rear mech/11-32 cassette. I would like to
> mate this to a 30-42-52 chainset, this would be something like a 105 triple.
>
> Could I use an bottom pull XT front mech with this, assuming I am going
for
> straight bars & XT shifters?
>
> Or could I use a road front mech (105?), with road triple, drops and
STi's?
> I would be mating this with the same XT & 11-32 combination above.
>
> Feasible?

You'd need to use the 105 front mech. The radius of the curve on the XT is too small (designed for a
44t big ring) and won't be easy to set up.

IIRC the cable pull is the same, so you can still use XT shifters and straight bars if you want to

--
Adam Dugmore

Kona Explosif Honda CB500R - Much easier uphill

Spamtrapped email.

Adam Dugmore <adam.dugmore@SPAM_AND_DIEbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> You'd need to use the 105 front mech. The radius of the curve on the XT is too small (designed for
> a 44t big ring) and won't be easy to set up.
>
> IIRC the cable pull is the same, so you can still use XT shifters and straight bars if you want to

The pull is the same for the rear, so everything's interchangeable.

Road & mtb front shifters use different cable pulls, so you shouldn't mix the shifters and mechs.
You may be able to use an mtb mech with a road shifter by clamping the cable the wrong side of the
clamp bolt (closer to the pivot), to get more throw for the same cable pull. I used an old XT front
mech with road STI levers for some years like this. I hear that it's now possible to get flat bar
shifters with road cable pull nowadays.

Andrew

"Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > You'd need to use the 105 front mech. The radius of the curve on the XT
is
> > too small (designed for a 44t big ring) and won't be easy to set up.
> >
> > IIRC the cable pull is the same, so you can still use XT shifters and straight bars if you
> > want to
> >

> The pull is the same for the rear, so everything's interchangeable.
>
> Road & mtb front shifters use different cable pulls, so you shouldn't mix the shifters and mechs.
> You may be able to use an mtb mech with a road shifter by clamping the
cable
> the wrong side of the clamp bolt (closer to the pivot), to get more throw for the same cable pull.
> I used an old XT front mech with road STI levers for some years like this. I hear that it's now
> possible to get flat bar shifters with road cable
pull
> nowadays.
>
> Andrew

It's the same for the front derailleur too. The only difference is doubles or triples.

There isn't a specific ATB gear lever variant for use with a road mech nor vice-versa. If there is,
Madison appear to have ommitted from their '03 trade catalogue.

Gaint FCRs and SBC Sirrus use Deore, LX and XT shifter on road mechs and tourers have been seen with
road STIs driving LX/XT changers.