Front Mech

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jimbob, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    Hi!

    Busy speccing bits for my tourer frame. I've got an XT rear mech/11-32 cassette. I would like to
    mate this to a 30-42-52 chainset, this would be something like a 105 triple.

    Could I use an bottom pull XT front mech with this, assuming I am going for straight bars &
    XT shifters?

    Or could I use a road front mech (105?), with road triple, drops and STi's? I would be mating this
    with the same XT & 11-32 combination above.

    Feasible?

    Tags:

  2. Adam Dugmore

    Adam Dugmore Guest

    > Hi!
    >
    > Busy speccing bits for my tourer frame. I've got an XT rear mech/11-32 cassette. I would like to
    > mate this to a 30-42-52 chainset, this would be something like a 105 triple.
    >
    > Could I use an bottom pull XT front mech with this, assuming I am going
    for
    > straight bars & XT shifters?
    >
    > Or could I use a road front mech (105?), with road triple, drops and
    STi's?
    > I would be mating this with the same XT & 11-32 combination above.
    >
    > Feasible?

    You'd need to use the 105 front mech. The radius of the curve on the XT is too small (designed for a
    44t big ring) and won't be easy to set up.

    IIRC the cable pull is the same, so you can still use XT shifters and straight bars if you want to

    --
    Adam Dugmore

    Kona Explosif Honda CB500R - Much easier uphill

    Spamtrapped email.

  3. Adam Dugmore <[email protected]_AND_DIEbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    > You'd need to use the 105 front mech. The radius of the curve on the XT is too small (designed for
    > a 44t big ring) and won't be easy to set up.
    >
    > IIRC the cable pull is the same, so you can still use XT shifters and straight bars if you want to

    The pull is the same for the rear, so everything's interchangeable.

    Road & mtb front shifters use different cable pulls, so you shouldn't mix the shifters and mechs.
    You may be able to use an mtb mech with a road shifter by clamping the cable the wrong side of the
    clamp bolt (closer to the pivot), to get more throw for the same cable pull. I used an old XT front
    mech with road STI levers for some years like this. I hear that it's now possible to get flat bar
    shifters with road cable pull nowadays.

    Andrew

  4. Adam Dugmore

    Adam Dugmore Guest

    "Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > You'd need to use the 105 front mech. The radius of the curve on the XT
    is
    > > too small (designed for a 44t big ring) and won't be easy to set up.
    > >
    > > IIRC the cable pull is the same, so you can still use XT shifters and straight bars if you
    > > want to
    > >

    > The pull is the same for the rear, so everything's interchangeable.
    >
    > Road & mtb front shifters use different cable pulls, so you shouldn't mix the shifters and mechs.
    > You may be able to use an mtb mech with a road shifter by clamping the
    cable
    > the wrong side of the clamp bolt (closer to the pivot), to get more throw for the same cable pull.
    > I used an old XT front mech with road STI levers for some years like this. I hear that it's now
    > possible to get flat bar shifters with road cable
    pull
    > nowadays.
    >
    > Andrew

    It's the same for the front derailleur too. The only difference is doubles or triples.

    There isn't a specific ATB gear lever variant for use with a road mech nor vice-versa. If there is,
    Madison appear to have ommitted from their '03 trade catalogue.

    Gaint FCRs and SBC Sirrus use Deore, LX and XT shifter on road mechs and tourers have been seen with
    road STIs driving LX/XT changers.