Front Mechs - top swing v's bottom swing:

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
I know, I know - I'm a cross-posting low life scum sucker, but still, I have a question (some of)
you may be able to help me with, if you would be so kind/feel like being helpful:

I'm in need of a new front mech (MTB), as the old Deore top swing one has so much slop in the pivots
now, it's all but useless. It's a year-ish old, as was the last one when it died from the same
infernal malaise.

This time, I'm looking at getting an LX or XT mech, and was wondering, would the bottom-swing
(OoOOO!)/conventional type likely last me any longer? The low end one that I had on my old steely
was still quite functional after 10
+ years, but I don't know if that's because it was made before Shitmano started using cheese as a
build material, or if it's down to the design being a better one.

There should be no practical reason to stop me, as I'm riding a hardtail with plenty of space to fit
the clamp band higher on the seat tube, so it's just down to longevity of performance AFAIAA.

TIA goodly folks for all and any tips, knowledge, conjecture, flames, general nonsense, comical
anecdotes about when your dog was a puppy etc.

Shaun aRe - It's weekend soon - have a good one.

> I know, I know - I'm a cross-posting low life scum sucker, but still, I
have
> a question (some of) you may be able to help me with, if you would be so kind/feel like being
> helpful:
>
> I'm in need of a new front mech (MTB), as the old Deore top swing one has
so
> much slop in the pivots now, it's all but useless. It's a year-ish old, as was the last one when
> it died from the same infernal malaise.
>
> This time, I'm looking at getting an LX or XT mech, and was wondering,
would
> the bottom-swing (OoOOO!)/conventional type likely last me any longer? The low end one that I had
> on my old steely was still quite functional after
10
> + years, but I don't know if that's because it was made before Shitmano started using cheese as a
> build material, or if it's down to the design being a better one.

Do you ride in mud a lot? Can you pinpoint the cause of your FD failure: excessive miles, excessive
shifting, excessive masturbation?

Oh that's me.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

<snippey>

> TIA goodly folks for all and any tips,

keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.

> knowledge,

did you know that the brake hose unions on the front of a MkV Escort have the same thread as a
shimano rear hub? (difficult to work into conversations, that one)

******!

> general nonsense,

mountain biking is a selfish, destructive, frivolous sport commited by first order canine sodomites.

comical anecdotes about when your dog was a puppy etc.

I never had a dog. Sob.

> Shaun aRe - It's weekend soon - have a good one.

I hate the top swing ones. They look ****, they rattle, and they break quickly. They're ****. I've
found the traditional bottom swing (?) ones much more satisfactory. Binkie has an LX one that's been
good and solid for some time now.

I do have a brand new topswing one kicking around here somewhere. It does have the advantage that
with its shims and dual cable pull, you can fit it to pretty much any MTB going. Which is handy when
I can't find the right one.

Andy Chequer

Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > I know, I know - I'm a cross-posting low life scum sucker, but still, I
> have
> > a question (some of) you may be able to help me with, if you would be so kind/feel like being
> > helpful:
> >
> > I'm in need of a new front mech (MTB), as the old Deore top swing one
has
> so
> > much slop in the pivots now, it's all but useless. It's a year-ish old,
as
> > was the last one when it died from the same infernal malaise.
> >
> > This time, I'm looking at getting an LX or XT mech, and was wondering,
> would
> > the bottom-swing (OoOOO!)/conventional type likely last me any longer?
The
> > low end one that I had on my old steely was still quite functional after
> 10
> > + years, but I don't know if that's because it was made before Shitmano started using cheese as
> > a build material, or if it's down to the design being a better one.
>
> Do you ride in mud a lot?

Nearly every time I ride off road.

> Can you pinpoint the cause of your FD failure: excessive miles,

Nope - done less than 2,000 on this one, and the majority of those miles are road commutes to and
from work.

> excessive shifting,

I shift when it's right to shift, no more, no less.

> excessive masturbation?

On the part of Shimano? No doubt.......

> Oh that's me.

You work for Shimano?!?!?

Cheers,

Shaun aRe

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <snippey>
>
> > TIA goodly folks for all and any tips,
>
> keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.

What do I do with that tube of Primula Cheese whith Prawn?

> > knowledge,
>
> did you know that the brake hose unions on the front of a MkV Escort have the same thread as a
> shimano rear hub? (difficult to work into conversations, that one)

No I didn't know - thanks for filling that gap in my info store.

> > conjecture,

Sideways.

> > flames,
>
> ******!

See those cabers fly folks......

> > general nonsense,
>
> mountain biking is a selfish, destructive, frivolous sport commited by
first
> order canine sodomites.

Accurate in that context.

> comical anecdotes about when your dog was a puppy etc.
>
> I never had a dog. Sob.

Stir fried with galangal, garlic, green chile soy and kafar lime leaves.....hmmm....

> > Shaun aRe - It's weekend soon - have a good one.
>
> I hate the top swing ones. They look ****, they rattle,

Truth brother Chequer, truth!

> and they break quickly. They're ****. I've found the traditional bottom swing (?) ones
much
> more satisfactory. Binkie has an LX one that's been good and solid for
some
> time now.

Cheers - this is what I thought I'd hear.

> I do have a brand new topswing one kicking around here somewhere. It does have the advantage that
> with its shims and dual cable pull, you can fit it to pretty much any MTB going. Which is handy
> when I can't find the right one.

Indeed, but I seen this web-site that seems to have LX and XT bottom swing in both top and bottom
pull, and in a whole renge of clamp sizes - might go for it........

> Andy Chequer

Cheers old fruit!

Shaun aRe - rancid raspberry.

On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:13:19 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

>> keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.
>
> What do I do with that tube of Primula Cheese whith Prawn?

I think you'll need to squirt it all into a sieve with a fine enough mesh so that the cheese goes
through and the prawn stays in the sieve.

Incidentally, did you know that Primula cheese tubes use the same thread as certain types of grease
gun? Handy if you need to make yourself a cheese spread sandwich in a hurry.

Huw "Squirty" Pritchard

Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:13:19 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
>
> >> keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.
> >
> > What do I do with that tube of Primula Cheese whith Prawn?
>
> I think you'll need to squirt it all into a sieve with a fine enough mesh so that the cheese goes
> through and the prawn stays in the sieve.

Plastic or steel mesh?

> Incidentally, did you know that Primula cheese tubes use the same thread as certain types of
> grease gun? Handy if you need to make yourself a cheese spread sandwich in a hurry.

I already knew this, as does the guy who's got siezed axle bearings.

Shaun aRe