front metal basket and quick release

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Daniel, May 20, 2003.

  1. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    A friend had a bike shop install a front metal basket. It has flat steel going from the bottom of
    the basket to the front drop outs. The front wheel has a quick release lever, and the bike shop
    attached the steel plate to the drop outs by running the quick release lever through the holes in
    the steel (there are no eyelets for attaching fenders or baskets on the fork).

    Obviously this makes for inconvenience, but nothing major, in removing the front wheel.

    But is there any danger? Will the weight of the basket, with books, groceries, etc., push the steel
    against the quick release 'axle' and weaken it? Break it? Shear it off? Seems to me that using
    clamps on the bottom of the fork is the way to go, but maybe I am being paranoid.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A friend had a bike shop install a front metal basket. It has flat steel going from the bottom of
    > the basket to the front drop outs. The front wheel has a quick release lever, and the bike shop
    > attached the steel plate to the drop outs by running the quick release lever through the holes in
    > the steel (there are no eyelets for attaching fenders or baskets on the fork).
    >
    > Obviously this makes for inconvenience, but nothing major, in removing the front wheel.
    >
    > But is there any danger? Will the weight of the basket, with books, groceries, etc., push the
    > steel against the quick release 'axle' and weaken it? Break it? Shear it off? Seems to me that
    > using clamps on the bottom of the fork is the way to go, but maybe I am being paranoid.

    I've seen that done by the local hack LBS.

    Here, as at many conscientious (read: anal) LBS, the rule is nothing on axles - nutted or Q/R. No
    fender mounts, no newsboy baskets, no racks. We drill frame ends, add wiring harness bands, make
    clamps or what ever is needed to keep accessories off axles. Mounting crud on axles makes puncture
    repair needlessly complex and looks ugly. I leave the classsic Chicago Schwinn mudguard stays on
    axles but I don't like 'em.

    I have to admit that a careful positioning would not actually be unsafe but you gotta concede the
    ugliness of it.