front of hip pain

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Greg, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I recently started riding again (150-200miles/week) after a long
    layoff (20 years) and am experiencing some pain (after rides) in
    front of, and just below the hip. I have not been stretching. Anybody
    got any ideas on this and what to do. Right now, I just plan to ride
    thrrough it and hope it gets better in time.

    Tags:

  2. Greg <[email protected]> writes:

    > I recently started riding again (150-200miles/week) after a long
    > layoff (20 years) and am experiencing some pain (after rides) in
    > front of, and just below the hip. I have not been stretching. Anybody
    > got any ideas on this and what to do. Right now, I just plan to ride
    > thrrough it and hope it gets better in time.

    Go see the doc. Spin in a low gear until you find out for sure what the
    problem is.

    Maybe you have a little arthritis?

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  3. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:33:44 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Greg <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I recently started riding again (150-200miles/week) after a long
    >> layoff (20 years) and am experiencing some pain (after rides) in
    >> front of, and just below the hip. I have not been stretching. Anybody
    >> got any ideas on this and what to do. Right now, I just plan to ride
    >> thrrough it and hope it gets better in time.
    >>

    >Go see the doc. Spin in a low gear until you find out for sure what the
    >problem is.
    >
    >Maybe you have a little arthritis?

    The rule is that any pain on the front or side of the hip is probably
    traceable to the back (spine/discs), while arthritis pain, which originates
    from the joint socket and thinning cartilage, is felt near the groin or
    inguinal fold.

    This pain is usually in the inguinal area of the affected side, which is
    topographically where the hip ball and socket -joint- is actually located.

    The part of the leg/hip on the front or area we point to when we say 'hip',
    isn't the hip socket it's the trochanter, or point of the large leg bone.
    This is the region of attachment for several leg muscles:

    http://www.hkin.educ.ubc.ca/361/anatgifs/greattro.GIF

    Arthritis of the hip is usually felt in the inguinal fold where the leg
    meets the body to the side of the groin.

    Often for front of the hip the pain and treatment is just ice, rest, and
    aspirin.

    If you go to a doc and are not satisfied, ask for a referral to a sports
    med doc who sees lots of bikers and runners.

    -B

  4. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I recently started riding again (150-200miles/week) after a long
    > layoff (20 years) and am experiencing some pain (after rides) in
    > front of, and just below the hip. I have not been stretching. Anybody
    > got any ideas on this and what to do. Right now, I just plan to ride
    > thrrough it and hope it gets better in time.

    I'm not a doc. I sustained a badly broken hip 2 years ago. During rehab
    and when I was just getting back on the bike, pain similar to what you
    describe was one of my biggest problems. The doc said to lay flat on my
    back on the bed with that leg hanging off the side. Let it hang and relax
    and try to stretch out the muscles and tendons in that part of the hip. It
    hurts a little, but you just have to relax and let it stretch. This really
    did the trick for me. You might try it.

    Bob C.

  5. Andre

    Andre Guest

    I would agree with this. It sounds like a mild strain of the rectus femoris
    muscle, which crosses the hip and knee joint. Stretching should take care
    of it.

    --
    --------------------------
    Andre Charlebois

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I recently started riding again (150-200miles/week) after a long
    > > layoff (20 years) and am experiencing some pain (after rides) in
    > > front of, and just below the hip. I have not been stretching. Anybody
    > > got any ideas on this and what to do. Right now, I just plan to ride
    > > thrrough it and hope it gets better in time.
    > >

    > I'm not a doc. I sustained a badly broken hip 2 years ago. During rehab
    > and when I was just getting back on the bike, pain similar to what you
    > describe was one of my biggest problems. The doc said to lay flat on my
    > back on the bed with that leg hanging off the side. Let it hang and relax
    > and try to stretch out the muscles and tendons in that part of the hip.

    It
    > hurts a little, but you just have to relax and let it stretch. This

    really
    > did the trick for me. You might try it.
    >
    > Bob C.

  6. > The rule is that any pain on the front or side of the hip is probably
    > traceable to the back (spine/discs), while arthritis pain, which

    originates
    > from the joint socket and thinning cartilage, is felt near the groin or
    > inguinal fold.
    >
    > This pain is usually in the inguinal area of the affected side, which is
    > topographically where the hip ball and socket -joint- is actually located.
    >
    > The part of the leg/hip on the front or area we point to when we say

    'hip',
    > isn't the hip socket it's the trochanter, or point of the large leg bone.
    > This is the region of attachment for several leg muscles:
    >
    > http://www.hkin.educ.ubc.ca/361/anatgifs/greattro.GIF
    >
    > Arthritis of the hip is usually felt in the inguinal fold where the leg
    > meets the body to the side of the groin.
    >
    > Often for front of the hip the pain and treatment is just ice, rest, and
    > aspirin.
    >
    > If you go to a doc and are not satisfied, ask for a referral to a sports
    > med doc who sees lots of bikers and runners.
    >
    > -B

    I concur.