Front page of NY Times? Time to give up your fixies!

TimC said:
They're too popular!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I don't think you need a login for that -- at least, I don't remember
logging in.

Nice article. Someone want to send it into the Shun?

--
TimC
My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 cents a can.
Thats almost $7.00 in dog money. -Joe Weinstein in ARK
I like these quotes... pretty much sums up fixies and bike riding:-

• there are more bikes than cars in the world, and bikes have a longer popular history, not to mention the fact that fixed-gear bikes predate “regular” bikes
  • “When you’re on a fixed gear,” said Ms. Germanotta, who works in the garment district, “it gives you a higher skill level. You have to be constantly aware, always watching the road. You don’t just ride, and it feels a little crazy.”
  • “You take the blame if you get hit,” he said. “It’s self-reliance, being responsible for yourself. It might sound kind of corny, but it’s a Zen thing, being one with the bike.”
  • “I had a couple of friends who made fun of me for riding one because it was trendy,” Ms. Escamilla said. “But the problem with looking at bike riding as a trend is that you lose sight of everything that is positive about bikes. You know, the renewable energy source, exercise, convenience, saving money, saving time, community, seeing the city in a whole new way, blah blah blah.” Besides, she added: “Track bikes are fun. And they’re beautiful.”

rooman said:
I like these quotes... pretty much sums up fixies and bike riding:-

• there are more bikes than cars in the world, and bikes have a longer popular history, not to mention the fact that fixed-gear bikes predate “regular” bikes
  • “When you’re on a fixed gear,” said Ms. Germanotta, who works in the garment district, “it gives you a higher skill level. You have to be constantly aware, always watching the road. You don’t just ride, and it feels a little crazy.”
  • “You take the blame if you get hit,” he said. “It’s self-reliance, being responsible for yourself. It might sound kind of corny, but it’s a Zen thing, being one with the bike.”
  • “I had a couple of friends who made fun of me for riding one because it was trendy,” Ms. Escamilla said. “But the problem with looking at bike riding as a trend is that you lose sight of everything that is positive about bikes. You know, the renewable energy source, exercise, convenience, saving money, saving time, community, seeing the city in a whole new way, blah blah blah.” Besides, she added: “Track bikes are fun. And they’re beautiful.”

"track bikes are fun. And they're beautiful"

that says it all - no other words needed ;)

warrwych said:
"track bikes are fun. And they're beautiful"

that says it all - no other words needed ;)

I s'pose my fixie isn't really a track bike.

I s'pose it isn't really beautiful either.

But it's fixed and it works. :)

Ritch