front/rear mech compatibility

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davebee, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    Hi all,

    I am currently looking to upgrade my front and rear mechs to something along the lines of Shimano LX (depending on prices/deals etc). The industry standar currently seems to be 9 speed setups, but I am running a 7 speed rear mech and 3 chain rings up front. Will the current 9 speed components be compatible with my 7 speed shifters, cassette, chainrings etc??? Shimano don't make their upper end components in 7 speed anymore, but I think it is still possible to LX and upwards in 8 speed. Any ideas??

    Cheers
    Dave

    Tags:

  2. davebee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am currently looking to upgrade my front and rear mechs to something along the lines of Shimano
    > LX (depending on prices/deals etc). The industry standar currently seems to be 9 speed setups, but
    > I am running a 7 speed rear mech and 3 chain rings up front. Will the current 9 speed components
    > be compatible with my 7 speed shifters, cassette, chainrings etc??? Shimano don't make their upper
    > end components in 7 speed anymore, but I think it is still possible to LX and upwards in 8 speed.
    > Any ideas??

    Mechs are compatible (except that road/MTB front are different). The indexing is all in the shifter,
    so the shifter has to match the cassette.

    Andrew