front/rear mech compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

davebee

Jan 15, 2004
Hi all,

I am currently looking to upgrade my front and rear mechs to something along the lines of Shimano LX (depending on prices/deals etc). The industry standar currently seems to be 9 speed setups, but I am running a 7 speed rear mech and 3 chain rings up front. Will the current 9 speed components be compatible with my 7 speed shifters, cassette, chainrings etc??? Shimano don't make their upper end components in 7 speed anymore, but I think it is still possible to LX and upwards in 8 speed. Any ideas??

Cheers
Dave

davebee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently looking to upgrade my front and rear mechs to something along the lines of Shimano
> LX (depending on prices/deals etc). The industry standar currently seems to be 9 speed setups, but
> I am running a 7 speed rear mech and 3 chain rings up front. Will the current 9 speed components
> be compatible with my 7 speed shifters, cassette, chainrings etc??? Shimano don't make their upper
> end components in 7 speed anymore, but I think it is still possible to LX and upwards in 8 speed.
> Any ideas??
>

Mechs are compatible (except that road/MTB front are different). The indexing is all in the shifter,
so the shifter has to match the cassette.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.