rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Front shifter fails after replacing crankset

Started by Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) · · Last activity · 4 posts · 971 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
11 July 2004
Last activity
18 July 2004
Original author
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
971
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I've just upgraded my crankset and bottom bracket. And now I can't change
    gears on the front derailleur. I've tried moving and adjusting the front
    derailleur.

    I think the problem may have 2 causes:

    1) I have an old, worn, 8-speed chain. The crankset is 9-speed. The
    8-speed&9-speed combo shouldn't be a problem but I suspect the old chain
    might be too worn to work. My worry is that although people did tell me
    that shifting performance would be 'poor', they didn't say the performance
    would be non-existent. Since upgrading, it's actually impossible to
    controllably change gear, even if I push the derailleur way out. It's
    possible to change from the large to the middle but impossible to go from
    middle to large.

    2) Before buying the BB and crankset, I read that the crankset needs the
    longest available BB axel, so I got 121mm BB. But perhaps this is a little
    too long, resulting in the front chainwheels being pushed too far away from
    the frame?

    My new BB is the Shimano LX Splined ES51 and the Crankset is the LX Splined
    9sp M571 170mm 22.32.44

    I've taken some photos to illustrate my problem:

    http://www.xlk.org.uk/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=Gear_problems&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jack

  2. Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) said:

    Hi,

    I've just upgraded my crankset and bottom bracket. And now I can't change
    gears on the front derailleur. I've tried moving and adjusting the front
    derailleur.

    I think the problem may have 2 causes:

    1) I have an old, worn, 8-speed chain. The crankset is 9-speed. The
    8-speed&9-speed combo shouldn't be a problem but I suspect the old chain
    might be too worn to work. My worry is that although people did tell me
    that shifting performance would be 'poor', they didn't say the performance
    would be non-existent. Since upgrading, it's actually impossible to
    controllably change gear, even if I push the derailleur way out. It's
    possible to change from the large to the middle but impossible to go from
    middle to large.

    2) Before buying the BB and crankset, I read that the crankset needs the
    longest available BB axel, so I got 121mm BB. But perhaps this is a little
    too long, resulting in the front chainwheels being pushed too far away from
    the frame?

    My new BB is the Shimano LX Splined ES51 and the Crankset is the LX Splined
    9sp M571 170mm 22.32.44

    I've taken some photos to illustrate my problem:

    http://www.xlk.org.uk/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=Gear_problems&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jack

    Looking at pictures 5, 6 and 7, your front derailleur is positioned
    very high, far away from the chainrings. It's going to be hard to get
    clean shifting with it so high.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

    You might start from scratch and follow these steps one by one.

  3. I agree with Sheldon the BB is to wide .I have a 68*113 bb for cheep if you
    want it.I went to a issis cranks so this is a extra from when I used a XT on
    my hard tail.

  4. Hi guys,

    Just a quick follow-up...

    I've swapped out my 121mm BB for a 118mm BB and everything works fine now!
    Thanks for your advice, everyone.

    Jack.

    "Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:aKGIc.63670$MB3.9129@attbi_s04...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with Sheldon the BB is to wide .I have a 68*113 bb for cheep if


    you

    Quoted message said:

    want it.I went to a issis cranks so this is a extra from when I used a XT


    on

    Quoted message said:

    my hard tail.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.