Front Shock Help!

skelonas

Sep 4, 2005
Hello All-->
I need a new fork for my GT IDrive 1.0 (with fox float RS) and was hoping to get some advice. It came with a Judy SL air assist 100mm which is now toast (worn bushings and seals). That fork did everything I could ask for, during it's 5 year stint, and I rode like crazy, raced in 24 hour races, and did absolutely no maintenance. I've never ridden anything better, so I have no frame of reference, but I figure I may as well put in a little extra $ to make my ride more versatile.

Anyway, I was looking at the minute 1.00 for $300 and the mx comp ETA for $230 (120mm) or $210 (105mm). I like the idea of having 130mm (minute one) for downhills, as I'm living in santa barbara where a lot of the trails are more downhill oriented than i'm used to... but if having the fork at 130 will mess up my geometry and/or put too much stress on the frame, then obviously there is no value in it. Ideally, I want something that is going to give me better crosscountry/climbing performance and at the same time, better downhill performance. Seems like either one may do the trick, but if longer travel will jack things up, then I may as well forget DH, and get a 100mm fork. I'm an experienced and serious rider, but a novice when it comes to gear knowledge! Please help me pick the best fork to get me back out on the trail! Thank you so much!

moparchris

Apr 13, 2004
personally i wouldnt go manitou, too many plasticy parts.. i'd be looking at rockshox (esp. the new '06 ones which should be out soon - about 3 weeks here) or a fox depending what you want to spend

Rideastrong

Jul 24, 2005
Fox has a great line of forks. Maybe a little more expensive but have performed great and will balance off well with your float rl.