Front shocks

Scott C

Guest
I read here someone's opinion about front shocks, and this person pretty much thought the front
shocks were useless.. gave some ideas about 80% of the riders weight over the seat.. pointed out
some good thoughts.. but after just buying a new bike (TREK 300) and riding it about 40 miles this
weekend, I will say I could notice the shocks working well as I went over many bumps along the
trails. I'll admit, I'm a 'wimp' rider but do enjoy the weekend jaunt, and for me, having ridden
bikes w/o shocks for 20 years, this new bike handled great and the shocks were a welcome addition.

sc

"Scott C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I read here someone's opinion about front shocks, and this person pretty much thought the front
> shocks were useless.. gave some ideas about 80% of the riders weight over the seat.. pointed out
> some good thoughts.. but
after
> just buying a new bike (TREK 300) and riding it about 40 miles this
weekend,
> I will say I could notice the shocks working well as I went over many
bumps
> along the trails. I'll admit, I'm a 'wimp' rider but do enjoy the weekend jaunt, and for me,
> having ridden bikes w/o shocks for 20 years, this new bike handled great and the shocks were a
> welcome addition.
>
> sc

Anybody who would make a sweeping statement that shocks are the greatest or worst things since
sliced bread is misinformed. Shocks have their place to be sure. Are you riding on an indoor track?
Shocks are useless here. Are you riding fireroads with washboard downhills?? Shocks are wonderful.
It all depends on the type of riding you do and what you like. Personally, my riding style means I
could probably take them or leave them. But when I ride singletrack for a few hours, I think the
shocks to lessen the fatigue on my upper body. I wouldn't buy an off-road bike without them frankly.
If you like them, don't listen to anyone else. Horses for courses.

Cheers,

Scott..