Front standlight on a Brompton

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. My Brommie has its original front dynamo light, a Basta I think, which doesn't have a standlight. I
    was considering replacing this for a lamp with a standlight. Wary of buying something that won't fit
    in the space available I wondered if anyone knows whether the Lumotec+ fits? It looks about right.
    Any other options?

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > My Brommie has its original front dynamo light, a Basta I think, which doesn't have a standlight.
    > I was considering replacing this for a lamp with a standlight. Wary of buying something that
    > won't fit in the space available I wondered if anyone knows whether the Lumotec+ fits? It looks
    > about right.

    the answer is "yes, but"... The "but" is that the standard bracket needs a bit of a bend to fit it
    in if you're using Brompton's pannier (if you're not, not a problem), and that weakens it and then
    you put a heavier weight on the end than it's used to. Result of that was I had a couple eventually
    snap from the fatigue caused by the last 100m of every journey being downhill on a very bumpy track
    (where my house is), which was a bloody nuisance and clearly Not Very Good. Discussed the problem
    with Ben at Kinetics, and he thought a bracket built for cantis that goes under the brake arms and
    rests on the mudguard might work, and indeed it did after a fair bit of surgery with a file. No sign
    of any problems with that so far, and even with the strategic shaving I did it's a rather more
    substantial item than the usual bracket.

    Difficult to say if there'd be a problem with the usual bracket if you didn't do the big bumps at
    the end of every trip mine gets subjected to (I could've just walked down the track, but that
    doesn't strike me as a great solution): might be okay. But you may wish to consider a bit of
    reinforcement to the setup if you've got a Brompton pannier you want to use.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Try [email protected] E-mail Address(es): [email protected] for an answer

    SW

    > My Brommie has its original front dynamo light, a Basta I think, which doesn't have a standlight.
    > I was considering replacing this for a lamp with a standlight. Wary of buying something that won't
    > fit in the space available I wondered if anyone knows whether the Lumotec+ fits? It looks about
    > right. Any other options?
    >
    > Colin

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > > My Brommie has its original front dynamo light, a Basta I think, which doesn't have a
    > > standlight. I was considering replacing this for a lamp with a standlight. Wary of buying
    > > something that won't fit in the space available I wondered if anyone knows whether the Lumotec+
    > > fits? It looks about right.
    >
    > the answer is "yes, but"... The "but" is that the standard bracket needs a bit of a bend to fit it
    > in if you're using Brompton's pannier (if you're not, not a problem),
    [welcome advice snipped]

    I am using the pannier, so thanks for the advice. Of course it would probably be cheaper and easier
    to fit one of those very small white LED lamps to the bars. Except I know I'll forget it one day.

    Colin

  5. Steve Watkin wrote:
    > Try [email protected] E-mail Address(es): [email protected] for an answer

    Thanks. I was subscribed to that group for a while but I dropped it because of the volume of posts,
    most of which were of no interest.

    Colin

  6. Jose Marques

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > I am using the pannier, so thanks for the advice. Of course it would probably be cheaper and
    > easier to fit one of those very small white LED lamps to the bars. Except I know I'll forget it
    > one day.

    I've fitted a Cateye LD500 in place of the standard refelector. Works well as a reflector and
    "be seen" front light. It's screwed on so it's always with the bike and doesn't get in the way
    of folding.

    --
    Jose Marques