Front STI shifter/derailleur adjustment

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Digtri, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Digtri

    Digtri Guest

    I just took my Giant TCR1 Composite in for it's first tuneup. Due to cable stretch, the front
    derailleur was having some difficulty shifting from the 39 chainring to the 53 chainring. I got the
    bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it takes at least 2-3
    sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift.

    I'm going to take the bike back by the shop at lunch today to get this corrected. For future
    reference, I just wondered what adjustment needs to be made to "tighten" up the indexing to where
    the shift is made in one motion and then you have one more click to shift the derailleur slightly
    further if the chain begins to rub.

    Since the inward and outward motion is set properly, I'm guessing that it probably requires a change
    in cable tension.

    Thanks- DIGTRI

    NOTE: If replying, please remove "spamsux" from my reply email address.

    Tags:

  2. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << I just took my Giant TCR1 Composite in for it's first tuneup. Due to cable stretch, the front
    derailleur was having some difficulty shifting from the 39 chainring to the 53 chainring. I got the
    bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it takes at least 2-3
    sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift. >>

    New cables don't stretch that much. Set the barrel adjuster on the cable stop to the middle of the
    range. Shift into the small ring, loosen the cable anchor bolt, and pull the cable fairly taught--no
    slack. Retighten anchor bolt. It should now shift cleanly in both directions with no more than a
    slight adjustment to the barrel adjuster, if necessary. Otherwise, something else is wrong with the
    shifter--could be a warranty issue.

  3. Snake

    Snake Guest

    Could it be they mounted a 3-ring STI lever on the left side instead of a 2-ring?

    Snake remove the dashes in dot com "DIGTRI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just took my Giant TCR1 Composite in for it's first tuneup. Due to cable stretch, the front
    > derailleur was having some difficulty shifting from the 39 chainring to the 53 chainring. I got
    > the bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it takes at least
    > 2-3 sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift.
    >
    > I'm going to take the bike back by the shop at lunch today to get this corrected. For future
    > reference, I just wondered what adjustment needs to
    be
    > made to "tighten" up the indexing to where the shift is made in one motion and then you have one
    > more click to shift the derailleur slightly further
    if
    > the chain begins to rub.
    >
    > Since the inward and outward motion is set properly, I'm guessing that it probably requires a
    > change in cable tension.
    >
    > Thanks- DIGTRI
    >
    > NOTE: If replying, please remove "spamsux" from my reply email address.

  4. digtri-<< I got the bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it
    takes at least 2-3 sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift. >><BR><BR> << I just wondered what
    adjustment needs to be made to "tighten" up the indexing to where the shift is made in one motion
    and then you have one more click to shift the derailleur slightly further if the chain begins to
    rub. >><BR><BR>

    Need to adjust the inner position of the front der when in big cog/small ring, as well as alignment
    and height, thern attach cable tight...then shift to big ring/small cog and do the clearance thing
    again...I think the cable isn't tight when in the small ring/biggest cog on yer rig...

  5. snake-<< Could it be they mounted a 3-ring STI lever on the left side instead of a 2-ring?
    >><BR><BR>

    If DA, it says 'triple' on the shifter..for all other shimano left road STI, they are double AND
    triple, both, by design..