Front STI shifter/derailleur adjustment

Digtri

Guest
I just took my Giant TCR1 Composite in for it's first tuneup. Due to cable stretch, the front
derailleur was having some difficulty shifting from the 39 chainring to the 53 chainring. I got the
bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it takes at least 2-3
sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift.

I'm going to take the bike back by the shop at lunch today to get this corrected. For future
reference, I just wondered what adjustment needs to be made to "tighten" up the indexing to where
the shift is made in one motion and then you have one more click to shift the derailleur slightly
further if the chain begins to rub.

Since the inward and outward motion is set properly, I'm guessing that it probably requires a change
in cable tension.

Thanks- DIGTRI

NOTE: If replying, please remove "spamsux" from my reply email address.

<< I just took my Giant TCR1 Composite in for it's first tuneup. Due to cable stretch, the front
derailleur was having some difficulty shifting from the 39 chainring to the 53 chainring. I got the
bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it takes at least 2-3
sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift. >>

New cables don't stretch that much. Set the barrel adjuster on the cable stop to the middle of the
range. Shift into the small ring, loosen the cable anchor bolt, and pull the cable fairly taught--no
slack. Retighten anchor bolt. It should now shift cleanly in both directions with no more than a
slight adjustment to the barrel adjuster, if necessary. Otherwise, something else is wrong with the
shifter--could be a warranty issue.

Could it be they mounted a 3-ring STI lever on the left side instead of a 2-ring?

Snake remove the dashes in dot com "DIGTRI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just took my Giant TCR1 Composite in for it's first tuneup. Due to cable stretch, the front
> derailleur was having some difficulty shifting from the 39 chainring to the 53 chainring. I got
> the bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it takes at least
> 2-3 sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift.
>
> I'm going to take the bike back by the shop at lunch today to get this corrected. For future
> reference, I just wondered what adjustment needs to
be
> made to "tighten" up the indexing to where the shift is made in one motion and then you have one
> more click to shift the derailleur slightly further
if
> the chain begins to rub.
>
> Since the inward and outward motion is set properly, I'm guessing that it probably requires a
> change in cable tension.
>
> Thanks- DIGTRI
>
> NOTE: If replying, please remove "spamsux" from my reply email address.

digtri-<< I got the bike back and now the indexing of the front STI is spread to the point where it
takes at least 2-3 sweeps of the STI shifter to make the shift. >><BR><BR> << I just wondered what
adjustment needs to be made to "tighten" up the indexing to where the shift is made in one motion
and then you have one more click to shift the derailleur slightly further if the chain begins to
rub. >><BR><BR>

Need to adjust the inner position of the front der when in big cog/small ring, as well as alignment
and height, thern attach cable tight...then shift to big ring/small cog and do the clearance thing
again...I think the cable isn't tight when in the small ring/biggest cog on yer rig...

snake-<< Could it be they mounted a 3-ring STI lever on the left side instead of a 2-ring?
>><BR><BR>

If DA, it says 'triple' on the shifter..for all other shimano left road STI, they are double AND
triple, both, by design..