Front sti shifting problem

Redliner

Nov 20, 2003
Bike wont shift from small ring to big ring with the sti shifter, but if I manually pull the cable with my hand, it shifts, but wont hold when I let the cable go. This leads me to believe its NOT a derailleur problem but the sti shifter it self. When I try with the shifter, I can hear the clicks and the derailleur moves just a little bit, but it doesnt shift. Ive already set the derailleur 1-2mm from the large chainring and the angle is in line with the frame. Its an fsa carbon compact slk 36/50 crank and ultegra shifters and derailleur. This is a brand new bike. Just pulled it out the box. What can I do? Thanks.

Redliner said:
Bike wont shift from small ring to big ring with the sti shifter, but if I manually pull the cable with my hand, it shifts, but wont hold when I let the cable go. This leads me to believe its NOT a derailleur problem but the sti shifter it self. When I try with the shifter, I can hear the clicks and the derailleur moves just a little bit, but it doesnt shift. Ive already set the derailleur 1-2mm from the large chainring and the angle is in line with the frame. Its an fsa carbon compact slk 36/50 crank and ultegra shifters and derailleur. What can I do?

My money is on the shifter being fine, but the cabel has some slack in it. Turn the barrel adjuster counter clockwise (from an on bike vantage point). If that doesn't move it enought you can take up the slack on the derailer connection.

Redliner said:
Bike wont shift from small ring to big ring with the sti shifter, but if I manually pull the cable with my hand, it shifts, but wont hold when I let the cable go. This leads me to believe its NOT a derailleur problem but the sti shifter it self. When I try with the shifter, I can hear the clicks and the derailleur moves just a little bit, but it doesnt shift. Ive already set the derailleur 1-2mm from the large chainring and the angle is in line with the frame. Its an fsa carbon compact slk 36/50 crank and ultegra shifters and derailleur. This is a brand new bike. Just pulled it out the box. What can I do? Thanks.
i'd visit the park tool website for comprehensive advice on tuning gears.
their notes are invaluable
its a bit like turning on a new appliance and it doesn't work - when all else fails read the manual !

Redliner said:

I also vote for too much cable slack. The first part of the shifter movement is probably just taking up the slack without moving the derailleur. It sounds like you have the FD positioned right. There may be too much slack for the cable adjuster barrel to take up and you may need to take up the slack at the derailleur.

Goto the Park Tool website. Disconnect your shift cable from the derailleur and follow park's instructions from the very beginning in order.

Every adjustment that you make on a front derailleur, it's position on the seat tube and the low limit adjustment, affect the subsequent adjustments. Fiddling with the cable tension, if the earlier adjustments aren't right, will just have you tradeing one problem for another.

Retro Grouch said:
Goto the Park Tool website. Disconnect your shift cable from the derailleur and follow park's instructions from the very beginning in order.

Every adjustment that you make on a front derailleur, it's position on the seat tube and the low limit adjustment, affect the subsequent adjustments. Fiddling with the cable tension, if the earlier adjustments aren't right, will just have you tradeing one problem for another.
I got it. The bike shop I got the bike from set the cable slack up with the shifter in the big chainring position and the derailleur in the small ring position. Thanks guys.