Front suspension for an Older GIANT Terrago

kevb

Nov 6, 2006
Hi,

I bought a Giant Terrago with a 25.5" frame back in 1999. It has Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes (11's), and I am now interested in upgrading the rigid forks to suspension type. The Steerer is 1 1/8" and 255mm long with a threaded top... I am struggling to find any forks that would fit straight into the bike... does anyone have any suggestions? Most forks these days seem to be AHead or Threadless...:confused:
TIA

Kevin
UK

kevb said:
..I am now interested in upgrading the rigid forks to suspension type. ..... I am struggling to find any forks that would fit straight into the bike...

Upgrading from rigid to sus CAN be done, but it will change the geometry of the bike some. I have not found this to be critical, but that's based on a very limited number of bikes. Do try to find a fork with relatively short stroke to limit the effects of the swap (XC - not DH/freeride).

Otherwise I can only advise to bite the bullet and replace the other bits too, (stem etc..)and set the bike up with aheadset.

dabac said:
Upgrading from rigid to sus CAN be done, but it will change the geometry of the bike some. I have not found this to be critical, but that's based on a very limited number of bikes. Do try to find a fork with relatively short stroke to limit the effects of the swap (XC - not DH/freeride).

Otherwise I can only advise to bite the bullet and replace the other bits too, (stem etc..)and set the bike up with aheadset.
If only that were an option... all the forks I have found on the web would not fit due to the steerer tube being too short to convert to AHead...:eek: