Front Suspension Fork

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gavin Thain, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Gavin Thain

    Gavin Thain Guest

    Could someone please reccomend a front suspension fork (I live in the UK) for under £200.

    Not sure I want an air shock. Want something that performs well, but is very low maintenance.

    Thought about a Judy XC (I think its about £160). Any other good-uns?

    Gavin

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Gavin Thain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Could someone please reccomend a front suspension fork (I live in the UK) for under £200.
    >
    > Not sure I want an air shock. Want something that performs well, but is
    very
    > low maintenance.
    >
    > Thought about a Judy XC (I think its about £160). Any other good-uns?

    Ditch that idea of a Rock Shox, unless you ain't gonna use it much - they're flexy and wear quickly
    by all accounts.

    Take a look at Marzocchi's offering - you might be able to find something good in that price range,
    especially if you look for last year's models - prices should be lower than current stuff, and
    you'll still be getting an excellent piece of equipment IME.

    Shaun aRe

  3. I second that

    Marzochhi forks with coil springs (not air springs) are the best performers bar none - low
    maintainance too

    > Gavin Thain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Could someone please reccomend a front suspension fork (I live in the
    UK)
    > > for under £200.
    > >
    > > Not sure I want an air shock. Want something that performs well, but is
    > very
    > > low maintenance.
    > >
    > > Thought about a Judy XC (I think its about £160). Any other good-uns?
    >
    > Ditch that idea of a Rock Shox, unless you ain't gonna use it much -
    they're
    > flexy and wear quickly by all accounts.
    >
    > Take a look at Marzocchi's offering - you might be able to find something good in that price
    > range, especially if you look for last year's models - prices should be lower than current stuff,
    > and you'll still be getting an excellent piece of equipment IME.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Steven Templeton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I second that
    >
    > Marzochhi forks with coil springs (not air springs) are the best
    performers
    > bar none - low maintainance too

    > > Gavin Thain <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Could someone please reccomend a front suspension fork (I live in the
    > UK)
    > > > for under £200.
    > > >
    > > > Not sure I want an air shock. Want something that performs well, but
    is
    > > very
    > > > low maintenance.
    > > >
    > > > Thought about a Judy XC (I think its about £160). Any other good-uns?
    > >
    > > Ditch that idea of a Rock Shox, unless you ain't gonna use it much -
    > they're
    > > flexy and wear quickly by all accounts.
    > >
    > > Take a look at Marzocchi's offering - you might be able to find
    something
    > > good in that price range, especially if you look for last year's
    models -
    > > prices should be lower than current stuff, and you'll still be getting
    an
    > > excellent piece of equipment IME.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe

    I got a real good deal from Halfords on a pair of Marzocchi's last year for my son. Worth trying as
    they do excellent deals on last seasons stuff. HTH Dave.

  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    > Gavin Thain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Could someone please reccomend a front suspension fork (I live in the UK) for under £200.
    > >
    > > Not sure I want an air shock. Want something that performs well, but is
    > very
    > > low maintenance.
    > >
    > > Thought about a Judy XC (I think its about £160). Any other good-uns?
    >
    > Ditch that idea of a Rock Shox, unless you ain't gonna use it much - they're flexy and wear
    > quickly by all accounts.

    My experience with the Judy XC doesn't correlate with that, although I guess it depends on your
    weight and riding style. My partner has had a 2000 RS Judy XC for pretty much exactly 2 years now.
    It's pretty heavy, but it is stiff and performs well in all conditions. It's just about to get it's
    first service, because it hasn't needed anything else up to now. I think we bought it for £120 (from
    Merlin?) because it was "last year's model".

    > Take a look at Marzocchi's offering - you might be able to find something good in that price
    > range, especially if you look for last year's models - prices should be lower than current stuff,
    > and you'll still be getting an excellent piece of equipment IME.

    Agreed. I've had my '99 Z2 lights for three years and they've taken quite a bit of abuse. They've
    served me very well indeed. The damping cartridge is finally giving out, though, but my testament to
    Marzocchi is that the replacement will probably be the MX pro coil (also available for under £200,
    if you're prepared to fit it yourself).

    Adam...

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Gavin Thain <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Could someone please reccomend a front suspension fork (I live in the
    UK)
    > > > for under £200.
    > > >
    > > > Not sure I want an air shock. Want something that performs well, but
    is
    > > very
    > > > low maintenance.
    > > >
    > > > Thought about a Judy XC (I think its about £160). Any other good-uns?
    > >
    > > Ditch that idea of a Rock Shox, unless you ain't gonna use it much -
    they're
    > > flexy and wear quickly by all accounts.

    > > Take a look at Marzocchi's offering -
    >
    > Agreed.

    > Adam...

    I've used the Z2 bomber, Xfly 100 and the Marathon, all fine quality and wonderful on the trails.
    Check out Ebay or mtbr.com for a used fork. I picked up the Xfly for $100 (2002).

    Bob

  7. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Gavin Thain <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Could someone please reccomend a front suspension fork (I live in the
    UK)
    > > > for under £200.
    > > >
    > > > Not sure I want an air shock. Want something that performs well, but
    is
    > > very
    > > > low maintenance.
    > > >
    > > > Thought about a Judy XC (I think its about £160). Any other good-uns?
    > >
    > > Ditch that idea of a Rock Shox, unless you ain't gonna use it much -
    they're
    > > flexy and wear quickly by all accounts.
    >
    > My experience with the Judy XC doesn't correlate with that, although I guess it depends on your
    > weight and riding style. My partner has had a 2000 RS Judy XC for pretty much exactly 2 years now.
    > It's pretty heavy, but it is stiff and performs well in all conditions. It's just about to get
    > it's first service, because it hasn't needed anything else up to now. I think we bought it for
    > £120 (from Merlin?) because it was "last year's model".

    I used the same model year Judy C for two years and it didnt give hassle. Nice supple action too. 80
    quid from the LBS bargain bucket. My dad uses them now and I kinda wish I hadn't given them away.
    Simple, effective design.

    Andy Chequer