Front Ultegra STI not downshifting

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Giant TCR composite, compact crank, Ultegra shifters
Just installed a new Ultegra FD, cables and housing (first time I've done it) read everything I could but still having a problem.
The Front lever won't downshift. If I release the cable, the small lever "clicks" but If I attach the cable, then shift to bigger ring and then try to downshift, the lever won't click. It moves but not enough to "click" and it's not releasing the tension.
I've checked limit screws (i can shift up and down by pulling the cable with my hand) and they seem to work pretty well. Anchor cable seems to be connected properly (across the left side and top of washer)
checked cable attachment at the lever, (re-done cable routing twice). Also I made sure to click the lever to get it to lowest cable tension before I attach the cable at the DER. I can shift Ok from small to big but not back.
I hope is not something I screwed-up at the lever, cause the first time I tried it, the cable tension was too tight when the chain was on the small chainring :(
I just can't get it to "click" and release the tension.
any help? (I can only get to my LBS on weekends and this weekend I/m going on a biking trip)

rparedes said:
Giant TCR composite, compact crank, Ultegra shifters
Just installed a new Ultegra FD, cables and housing (first time I've done it) read everything I could but still having a problem.
The Front lever won't downshift. If I release the cable, the small lever "clicks" but If I attach the cable, then shift to bigger ring and then try to downshift, the lever won't click. It moves but not enough to "click" and it's not releasing the tension.
I've checked limit screws (i can shift up and down by pulling the cable with my hand) and they seem to work pretty well. Anchor cable seems to be connected properly (across the left side and top of washer)
checked cable attachment at the lever, (re-done cable routing twice). Also I made sure to click the lever to get it to lowest cable tension before I attach the cable at the DER. I can shift Ok from small to big but not back.
I hope is not something I screwed-up at the lever, cause the first time I tried it, the cable tension was too tight when the chain was on the small chainring :(
I just can't get it to "click" and release the tension.
any help? (I can only get to my LBS on weekends and this weekend I/m going on a biking trip)

Never mind... I went back and really studied the Park Tools web site instructions and it's beginning to work... I'm not there yet but it's getting better. The shifter is OK... The tension on the wire was just too high so the limit screws were not really doing their job... it's just a lot harder to make this work than what I originally thought.

rparedes said:
Never mind... I went back and really studied the Park Tools web site instructions and it's beginning to work... I'm not there yet but it's getting better. The shifter is OK... The tension on the wire was just too high so the limit screws were not really doing their job... it's just a lot harder to make this work than what I originally thought.
worked it out... wrong cable attachment point... Now everything is smooth