front wheel clearance

youhaditcoming

Dec 1, 2004
Hi,

I recently bought a Giant road/touring sloping bike. When my cranks are on the horizontal position, standing..not riding, then turning the front wheel to the side, my shoe touches the wheel. So far this hasn't turn into an accident while riding.
Could this cause an accident ? Previous bikes of mine don't have this problem,

Thanks

youhaditcoming said:
Hi,

I recently bought a Giant road/touring sloping bike. When my cranks are on the horizontal position, standing..not riding, then turning the front wheel to the side, my shoe touches the wheel. So far this hasn't turn into an accident while riding.
Could this cause an accident ? Previous bikes of mine don't have this problem,

Thanks
Welcome to the world of compact geometry. A lot of factors come into play between bike and rider, but yeah this is pretty common with a lot of bikes and for a lot of riders. I get it big time on my Langster with its track bike frame and geometry. It can cause an accident, most commonly during low speed manuevering when your bars are turned to one side.

It's pretty easy to get used to and avoid though. For me, I just have to keep it in mind when I am doing low speed, tight quarters maneuvering. The rest of the time it isn't a factor. If you ride in an area with a lot of tight hairpins, it could be more of an on-the-move issue though.

Hope this helps. ;)