Front wheel noise

Caden

Jun 30, 2006
Hmm.. Just changed a flat on my front tire, put the the wheel back on the bike (Bontrager Select wheels - came with my Trek 1500) and then spun the wheel up by hand to make sure everything's aligned (it is). I now hear a rather obvious tinkling sound, like I can hear each ball bearing falling onto the next one over inside the front hub (although the sound seems to emanate from the whole wheel), and this sound is there (and slowing in "tinking" or ticking) the whole time the wheel spins. Nothing is rubbing anywhere - I've checked. I've got the bike upside down right now and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is - and my wife's bike (different wheels, unfortunately) doesn't make any such sound.

So, is this a bearing problem? Anything I can do to confirm/rule-out?

Flip the lever on the skewer and try again. If no noise, then reduce your clamping pressure and try again.

gclark8 said:
Flip the lever on the skewer and try again. If no noise, then reduce your clamping pressure and try again.
No dice. It makes the same noise whether clamped or not. I should point out here that it's not loud by any means. I'll bet if I rode up to you on my bike you wouldn't hear it. But I've got my bike upside down in a nice quiet house and my wife's front wheel just goes "shhhh" (barely audible), while mine goes, "tinkle tinkle tink tick tink tinkle blink" about as fast as I imagine the ball bearings are moving around the hub.

Caden said:
Hmm.. Just changed a flat on my front tire, put the the wheel back on the bike (Bontrager Select wheels - came with my Trek 1500) and then spun the wheel up by hand to make sure everything's aligned (it is). I now hear a rather obvious tinkling sound, like I can hear each ball bearing falling onto the next one over inside the front hub (although the sound seems to emanate from the whole wheel), and this sound is there (and slowing in "tinking" or ticking) the whole time the wheel spins. Nothing is rubbing anywhere - I've checked. I've got the bike upside down right now and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is - and my wife's bike (different wheels, unfortunately) doesn't make any such sound.

Take the wheel out and hold on to the axels with your hands, while you spin the wheel. If you still get it or "feel" it, tighten the bearing pre-load. If there is no change, post it and you will receive more suggestions, from somebody.

lks said:
Take the wheel out and hold on to the axels with your hands, while you spin the wheel. If you still get it or "feel" it, tighten the bearing pre-load. If there is no change, post it and you will receive more suggestions, from somebody.
I'll try - but I haven't the proper tools (and it's under warranty so I probably should just take the darn thing in). I think I'll drop the wheel by the shop tomorrow. I was half expecting folks here to tell me it's normal, but now that I think about it I think I really shouldn't hear the ball bearing clicking around in there. :)

Caden said:
... I now hear a rather obvious tinkling sound, like I can hear each ball bearing falling onto the next one over inside the front hub (although the sound seems to emanate from the whole wheel), and this sound is there (and slowing in "tinking" or ticking) the whole time the wheel spins.

With some rims that are welded, a small piece of "flashing" can fall off WITHIN the rim walls ... and, will perpetually rattle.

alfeng said:
With some rims that are welded, a small piece of "flashing" can fall off WITHIN the rim walls ... and, will perpetually rattle.

Ditto, something is in the rim.

Caden said:
I'll try - but I haven't the proper tools (and it's under warranty so I probably should just take the darn thing in). I think I'll drop the wheel by the shop tomorrow. I was half expecting folks here to tell me it's normal, but now that I think about it I think I really shouldn't hear the ball bearing clicking around in there. :)
Do you hear/feel it when the bearings are under "riding load". There are some high qulaity hubs out there including Dura Ace 7800 where it is normal for the bearing to click when not loaded. Packing grease and adjusting the preload won't help hubs like Dura Ace 7800. You can feel it and hear it when the hub is turned without a load, but the situation is normal when bearings are under normal riding load.
Also loose bits (from drilling and/or welding) inside the rim channel will tick/click during rotation. You can often shake them out the spoke holes (with rim tape removed) or at least the valve hole if the rim is fully socketed. I take cotton swabs to clean the inside of the rim channel on non-socketed rims; cotton snags the loose little bits while I am cleaning out any residual lube from my assembly methods. Sometimes, with rims that have a joint sleeve, it comes loose are ticks with each revolutiion. You can often fix that with a little drilling and gluing with a strong glue.

daveornee said:
Do you hear/feel it when the bearings are under "riding load".
It's really impossible to tell at that point (so, no) since it's a subtle ticking or tinking I've only heard when inside the house and hand-spinning the wheel. So, you could be right about the "only when not under ride load" issue. But this isn't a high quality hub - it's a Bontrager Select, which isn't sealed cartridge or anything special.

As for something loose inside the rim, I could buy that. I did notice it just after a flat. Maybe in changing the flat I loosened something. Spokes are all tight, though, near as I can tell.