Front wheel question

NomadVW

Aug 12, 2005
A couple weeks ago I bought a truing stand to start learning more about my own bike maintenance. I haven't done much with it, but the first thing I did was put all my wheels on it to see how true they are/aren't. The front wheel I use is a Mavic Open Pro that hasn't been trued since being built in January, and I didn't need to true it still.

I put the wheel back on, with no attention to which direction was which (I'd pulled the skewer out).

In the last couple weeks I've been noticing a significant "pull" on the front end to the right. I notice it most at higher speeds. Around the same time I had played with my truing stand I also shortened the stem from 130mm to 110mm to adjust some reach issues. I thought it might be the shorter stem just playing with the "front end" center of gravity.

Today on my ride I was mulling over this annoyance and looking down at my front wheel it seemed I could see more of the right side of the rim than I could of the left. I got to thinking whether my front wheel was "on backwards." So I stopped, swapped the skewer and switched the wheel around (now the ultegra words on the hub display so that they appear right side up from the rider's point of view). I hopped up in a sprint and got up to speed and immediately feel like the bike doesn't pull to the right anymore.

So... all that to say. Um... shouldn't the front wheel be set up such that it can go either direction? I'll check the dishing on the wheel tonight after our Thanksgiving company leaves, but which way the front wheel is on doesn't seem like it should matter.

Yeah. It sounds like your wheel's "dish" is off a little. Put it back in your trueing stand and flip it both ways. You should be able to figure out which way you need to pull the rim. Tighten all of the spokes on that side of the wheel and loosen the spokes on the other side an equal amount, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn and that will fix it.

I suspect the OP just didn't centre the wheel properly in the fork when mounted with QR. Similar situations can be seen in the rear wheel. For the rear, I always make sure the wheel is centred wrt the V b/n the chainstays during QR closure.

sogood said:
I suspect the OP just didn't centre the wheel properly in the fork when mounted with QR. Similar situations can be seen in the rear wheel. For the rear, I always make sure the wheel is centred wrt the V b/n the chainstays during QR closure.
That's a good point.

Whenever I install a wheel I make sure that the bike is resting on it's own wheels before I tighten the quick release. That way the weight of the bike causes the wheel axle to bottom squarely in the dropouts.

Retro Grouch said:
That's a good point.

Whenever I install a wheel I make sure that the bike is resting on it's own wheels before I tighten the quick release. That way the weight of the bike causes the wheel axle to bottom squarely in the dropouts.

+1. Even if the bike's in the workstand, I'll pop it out, install the wheels with bike on ground, then put it back in the workstand.