Front Wheel "Wobble" after overhauling hub

mbear37

Mar 27, 2004
I'm hoping someone out there can tell me exactly what's going wrong here. I have Alex A Class ALX 290 wheels on my 2004 Specialized Sequoia Elite. This is the first spring that I'm overhauling the hub bearings and truing these wheels. Right away I thought something funny was up because I noticed that the bearings that had been in the hub didn't fit the entire race/cup (all my other bikes always had bearings that perfectly fit into the race/cup). After overhauling, it turned out that while the axle seemed tight, the wheel could "wobble" back and forth about 1" when grabbed at the rim. I assumed that I didn't tighten the cones enough, but despite about 5 attempts at tightening these cones, this wobble continues. I tried tightening the spokes, but this had no effect. I do notice that while there is no lateral play in the axle, it does have vertical play. Any ideas?

thanks
marc

one inch is A LOT!!

sometimes if you pack a heap of grease in there it's hard to see if all the bearings are in right.

Have you pulled apart the hub again? I would open it up to see what's going on.

531Aussie said:
one inch is A LOT!!

sometimes if you pack a heap of grease in there it's hard to see if all the bearings are in right.

Have you pulled apart the hub again? I would open it up to see what's going on.

Yes, I have taken it apart 5 times. All 11 3/16" bearings are perfectly in place on each side. Do you think I should try 7/32" or 15/64"?? (I'm almost 100% sure that the bearings I took out were 3/16").

marc

mbear37 said:
Yes, I have taken it apart 5 times. All 11 3/16" bearings are perfectly in place on each side. Do you think I should try 7/32" or 15/64"?? (I'm almost 100% sure that the bearings I took out were 3/16").

marc
A couple of questions:

1. Did the wheel do this before you rebuilt it?

2. Do you have the bearings you took out of it?

John

Mansmind said:
A couple of questions:

1. Did the wheel do this before you rebuilt it?

2. Do you have the bearings you took out of it?

John

Thanks for all the help. After rereading different bike manuals which stated that there are usually ten 3/16" bearings on each side in the front, not eleven, I decided to take out one bearing from each side, and now the wheel is beautiful. I dont' understand this; I've always put in bearings until they fit snugly, which in this case was eleven, but I'm not going to question it. Thanks again.

marc

Next time that happens, just buy a can of 'Wobble Nought' and spray liberally. :D

mbear37 said:
Thanks for all the help. After rereading different bike manuals which stated that there are usually ten 3/16" bearings on each side in the front, not eleven, I decided to take out one bearing from each side, and now the wheel is beautiful. I dont' understand this; I've always put in bearings until they fit snugly, which in this case was eleven, but I'm not going to question it. Thanks again.

marc
That's interesting, I thought the bearings should always fill the race. I guess that's what I get for thinking "always." Maybe someone else can comment but I'd be worried that if you were missing a bearing you might ruin the hubs.

rcrampton said:
That's interesting, I thought the bearings should always fill the race. I guess that's what I get for thinking "always." Maybe someone else can comment but I'd be worried that if you were missing a bearing you might ruin the hubs.
For front hubs, the common number is 10 balls of 3/16-inch diameter per side.
Cleanliness & matching size bearings are very important.
Same grade and from the same batch is a good idea.
When you install 10 ball bearings it appears that you can install one more. Don't install the 11th ball bearing as it causes all sorts of problems.
Generally, adjust bearings for the loosest setting that has no knocking or play, regardless of this relative smoothness with the QR skewer closed to normal tension.

daveornee said:
For front hubs, the common number is 10 balls of 3/16-inch diameter per side.
Cleanliness & matching size bearings are very important.
Same grade and from the same batch is a good idea.
When you install 10 ball bearings it appears that you can install one more. Don't install the 11th ball bearing as it causes all sorts of problems.
Generally, adjust bearings for the loosest setting that has no knocking or play, regardless of this relative smoothness with the QR skewer closed to normal tension.
Thanks Daveornee. So far I've only overhauled fully intact and working hubs so I've just counted the bearings, taken them to the LBS and asked for more. I'll try to stay so lucky!