Front XT derailler shifting is jerky

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Glyph, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Glyph

    Glyph Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I have just installed a new Shimano XT front derailler on my mountain
    bike. I believe I have set it all up and adjusted the adjustment screws
    correctly.

    My only concern is that when I down shift it really 'snaps' the
    derailler back and makes quite a clank. Especially when downshifting
    from middle sprocket to smallest. I have played with the cable tension
    but it doesn't seem to change much. It appears to be just from the
    spring pulling the deraiiler back to it's default state . Is this
    normal? I'm assuming this will soften up as I use the derailler more?

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Glyphism

    Tags:

  2. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Glyph wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > My only concern is that when I down shift it really 'snaps' the
    > derailler back and makes quite a clank. Especially when downshifting
    > from middle sprocket to smallest.

    In my experience this is the derailleur snapping back and hitting the
    frame. A small amount of tension of the inside shift screw is usually
    the cure.

    Hope it helps,

    -nate

  3. Glyph

    Glyph Guest

    just tried and it didn't do much. It's well clear of the tube, both
    before and after.

  4. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    "Glyph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > just tried and it didn't do much. It's well clear of the tube, both
    > before and after.

    The (XT) front derailleur has a pretty strong return spring so I think there
    is nothing to worry about.

    Lou

  5. Glyph wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have just installed a new Shimano XT front derailler on my mountain
    > bike. I believe I have set it all up and adjusted the adjustment screws
    > correctly.
    >
    > My only concern is that when I down shift it really 'snaps' the
    > derailler back and makes quite a clank. Especially when downshifting
    > from middle sprocket to smallest. I have played with the cable tension
    > but it doesn't seem to change much. It appears to be just from the
    > spring pulling the deraiiler back to it's default state . Is this
    > normal? I'm assuming this will soften up as I use the derailler more?
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Glyphism

    It is normal as the shifter is just releasing the cable tension and the
    front der is returning to where the limit screw tells it to go. The
    noise may be it hitting the seattube.

    May try to move it out a hair, and see if it still gets the chain where
    it ought to be in the middle and big ring.

  6. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    And you'll appreciate that strong spring when the mech is crusted up
    with mud. I like to hear that strong snapping sound.