Froome vs Contador

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by jhuskey, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Froome and Contador are no doubt the top tow contenders for the GC winners of the tour this year although there are several that could podium in paris. Froome always seems very strong and consistent while Contador has the ability to explode in the climbs. Both have experienced teams.

[SIZE= medium]Saxo-Tinkoff[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]Alberto Contador, [/SIZE]Michael Rogers, Roman Kreuziger, Nicolas Roche , Benjamin Noval , Jesus Hernandez, Matteo Tosatto, Daniele Bennati, Sergio Paulinho[SIZE= 9pt].[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]Team Sky[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 9pt]Chris Froome, Richie Porte, Edvald Boasson ,Peter Kennaugh, Vasil Kiryienka, David López, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Ian Stannard, Geraint Thomas. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 9pt]There are also some a** kicking stages this year that will no doubt make for some great shoot-outs near the mountain tops.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 9pt]Anyone have a favorite to win? [/SIZE]

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Sky don't as strong as last year, should be more entertaining than last years race.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I think Contador may have a edge on team strength which will also be evident in the TTT.

4. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I don't know much about these two apart from the obvious, but if anything gets in the way of having to suffer another pistoliero salute I am all for it.

5. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

still waiting until all the teams have posted their starting lists before i give this one to froome or contador. this is the year, i think, for someone from one of the poorer sisters to put a man on the podium.

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

There is always the possibility for Schleck or Rodriguez to pull a win. I don't see this as a race for Evans since I believe there will be more fireworks as opposed to a steady pace win but I was trying to keep it simple for now and focus on the top two.

7. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

truth be told, i'm thinking of a win/place/show from someone a bit farther down the food chain on the teams invited. just waiting to see how they stock the team for their premier rider. admittedly a long shot, but he has impressed in years past.

one thing i will say coming in on this edition, is that i am actually sad not seeing hincapie's name on the short list for participation. makes me appreciate jens voigt & andreas kloden coming in.

i do find it hard to bet against either froome or contador. this may come down to their respective ds's abilities to adapt to radical upsets of the game plan. in that respect, i'd tip contador/riis over froome/brailsford.

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

While it's hard to bet against Froome and Contador, I'd like just about anyone except them--and Rodriguez--to win. I'd like to put an order in for one dark horse.

9. ambal

ambal Active Member

Contador should be able to handle Froome, team sky are also a lot weaker than last year. Riis knows best how to prepare his riders, it should be a much better tour than last years tour de bore.

10. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Vasil Kiryienka finished 3rd in the worlds TT last year. G is a beast in the TT, both Kennaugh and Stannard have some high level team pursuit experience and can pull for miles at 50+kmh, Porte has all the bases covered and stick Boasson Hagen in the mix and you've got more than enough power to see off Contador, Rogers and Kreuziger dragging the climbers around...

I thought at one time you followed cycling. :p

11. ambal

ambal Active Member

both teams have some serious HP

12. baker3

baker3 New Member

I'm tipping Rodriguez for the surprise win.

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I'm looking forward to seeing how Rodriguez performs. I think he could well win this race.

14. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I think the lad is a prospect for a podium place brut lacks the horsepower on the French hills that are typically not as steep as the mountains in Spain or Italy where he'd have more chance of success. But, that said, he's a fighter so he can't be ruled out.

15. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

Being Canadian, I am, of course, cheering for Hesjedal - that is, if he can manage to finish the race.

16. ambal

ambal Active Member

He is a likely top 10 finisher, I have my doubts he can stay with the likes of Froome and Alberto in the high mountains. If lady luck falls his way, you never know, someones gotta stand on that third step.

17. vulgarov

vulgarov New Member

I think that Andy Schleck have the real possibility to be with Froome and Contador on difficult climbs.
    RadioShack – Leopard : The announced line-up*: Jan Bakelants (BEL), Laurent Didier (LUX), Tony Gallopin (FRA), Markel Irizar (ESP), Andreas Klöden (GER), Maxime Monfort (BEL), Andy Schleck (LUX), Jens Voigt (GER) and Haimar Zubeldia (ESP)
    With these fellas Schleck will have a good support.

18. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

right. cards on the table time. putting contador on the top step. rodriguez on the next step. and pierre rolland a surprise third. froome going out with an unexpected injury and brailsford unable to adapt. yes this is all a considerable long shot but that is how I'm placing my three quid.

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

1.Rodriguez
    2.Bertie
    3.Froome

I think we will see Van Garderan, Evans fill out the top 5.

I wait in vain for Roman Kreuziger ride to his full capacity and to do himself justice.

And wearing my parochial hat, we have high hopes for Dan Martin for the Polka Dot jersey.

20. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I reckon a podium like that would mean we've had an exciting TDF, unlike last years 3 weeks of boredom. I hope you're right lim [​IMG]