Froze Fish

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by golamuh, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. golamuh

    golamuh Guest

    A while back I got some froze fish from Costco in a bag. It was called
    codfish.
    I took it out and unfrosted it in the icebox for 24 hours like they
    said.
    When I cooked in the way a always do which is to pat dry, flour it,
    shake that off and then dip in egg and then into breadcrumbs and fry.
    It looked great smelled great but the inside the closer you go to the
    middle it got tough. They were pretty think slicec but shoulda been
    cooked through.
    Why were they tough. Never had that happen before.
    It was wild cod. Used it before and none of this happends.

    Tags:

  2. Pizen

    Pizen Guest

    golamuh wrote:
    > A while back I got some froze fish from Costco in a bag. It was
    > called codfish.
    > I took it out and unfrosted it in the icebox for 24 hours like they
    > said.
    > When I cooked in the way a always do which is to pat dry, flour it,
    > shake that off and then dip in egg and then into breadcrumbs and
    > fry.
    > It looked great smelled great but the inside the closer you go to
    > the
    > middle it got tough. They were pretty think slicec but shoulda been
    > cooked through.
    > Why were they tough. Never had that happen before.
    > It was wild cod. Used it before and none of this happends.

    It just sounds as if it were overcooked. If you have more of a
    similar size, you might consider using your method, but finishing them
    in a 350 oven for a couple of minutes. Or come up with a new recipe
    that involves oven cooking. Pan frying works best for me when the
    fillets are relatively thin.

    --
    "Life is hard. Life is harder when
    you're stupid". - John Wayne

    "Politics is war without bloodshed while
    war is politics with bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

    '99 FLHRCI

  3. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    golamuh wrote:
    > A while back I got some froze fish from Costco in a bag. It was called
    > codfish.
    > I took it out and unfrosted it in the icebox for 24 hours like they
    > said.
    > When I cooked in the way a always do which is to pat dry, flour it,
    > shake that off and then dip in egg and then into breadcrumbs and fry.
    > It looked great smelled great but the inside the closer you go to the
    > middle it got tough. They were pretty think slicec but shoulda been
    > cooked through.
    > Why were they tough. Never had that happen before.
    > It was wild cod. Used it before and none of this happends.

    Frozen fish works better for me in chowder or cioppino, where the
    freshness isn't as critical.

    Regards

    Louis Cohen

    "Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

    Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

  4. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "golamuh" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A while back I got some froze fish from Costco in a bag. It was called
    > codfish.
    > I took it out and unfrosted it in the icebox for 24 hours like they
    > said.
    > When I cooked in the way a always do which is to pat dry, flour it,
    > shake that off and then dip in egg and then into breadcrumbs and fry.
    > It looked great smelled great but the inside the closer you go to the
    > middle it got tough. They were pretty think slicec but shoulda been
    > cooked through.
    > Why were they tough. Never had that happen before.
    > It was wild cod. Used it before and none of this happends.

    If the middle was tough, it's because it was not cooked thru.

    Just nuke it for a minute or so.
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  5. golamuh

    golamuh Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "golamuh" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > A while back I got some froze fish from Costco in a bag. It was

    called
    > > codfish.
    > > I took it out and unfrosted it in the icebox for 24 hours like they
    > > said.
    > > When I cooked in the way a always do which is to pat dry, flour it,
    > > shake that off and then dip in egg and then into breadcrumbs and

    fry.
    > > It looked great smelled great but the inside the closer you go to

    the
    > > middle it got tough. They were pretty think slicec but shoulda

    been
    > > cooked through.
    > > Why were they tough. Never had that happen before.
    > > It was wild cod. Used it before and none of this happends.
    > >

    > If the middle was tough, it's because it was not cooked thru.
    >
    > Just nuke it for a minute or so.
    > --
    > K.
    >
    > Sprout the MungBean to reply
    >
    > "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    > see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  6. golamuh

    golamuh Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "golamuh" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > A while back I got some froze fish from Costco in a bag. It was

    called

    > If the middle was tough, it's because it was not cooked thru.
    >
    > Just nuke it for a minute or so.

    Can't beleive it.
    We ate it that way well now we done et raw fish.