General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Frozen meals?

Started by Serene · · Last activity · 245 posts · 3,239 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 November 2007
Last activity
11 November 2007
Original author
Serene
Posts
245
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,239
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 245
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
    least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

    I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

    It's pretty serious, but my chances are good; thanks! (If you want to know
    more details, the TMI is at the end of this post, after my .sig quote.)

    (laugh) You know I'm nosy, but I'll give you your privacy.

    Quoted message said:

    He can actually cook, and he rolled his eyes at me when I said I wanted to
    make stuff for him to have while I'm gone. He insists that I instead make
    some smooth vegan soups for myself, so that I have something quick and
    easy to eat when I get home, since most of the things he cooks are
    probably going to be too harsh for my throat. I have really good partners.

    That's nice. He's right, you'd probably take more of a load off him
    if he doesn't have to worry what you'll eat when you get home.

    Take care of yourself.

    nancy

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Serene said:

    Chili's a good idea for James (I'm not a fan of the stuff); thanks.
    And yeah, stovetop is fine, too.

    Now that you mention it, consider foods he loves but you don't care for.
    Now would be a good time to think of those.

    leo

  3. Leonard Blaisdell said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Serene said:

    Chili's a good idea for James (I'm not a fan of the stuff); thanks.
    And yeah, stovetop is fine, too.

    Now that you mention it, consider foods he loves but you don't care for.
    Now would be a good time to think of those.

    Yep. I'm gonna make chili for him, since I don't like it. There's
    also spaghetti and taco fixings in the cupboard, along with a lot of
    lunchmeat and stuff. I'll bake a couple loaves of bread the day
    before. I'm also going to make a white-bean soup, but puree it, and
    a celeriac soup, ditto. I think I'll also take some of the grape
    juice I bought and make popsicles out of it. Popsicles always help
    my throat.

    Oh, and I have farina for breakfasts. :-)

    Serene
    --
    Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the
    legislature is in session." -- Judge Gideon J. Tucker, 1866.

  4. Karen AKA Kajikit said:

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Michael \'Dog3\ said:

    Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> dropped thisnews:[email hidden]:in
    rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I certainly wouldn't leave MY spouse that "busycooks" garbage, and
    > expect her to eat it. Pizza would be much better.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <shrug> So stock up on frozen pizza for your spouse when you go in to the
    hospital for inpatient surgery.

    Quoted message said:

    Um, I don't know that she's ever baked a frozen pizza. I was thinking
    pickup or delivery.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As for myself I'd make some soup/stew and
    put it in individual containers in the freezer. I'd make a big lasagne
    and freeze it in individual servings. Steven isn't real big on
    casseroles

    Quoted message said:

    I always thought of "casseroles" as something that old-fashioned
    housewives made when they wanted their husbands to take them out to a
    restaurant:

    Quoted message said:

    Hubby: [getting home from work] Hi, honey, what's for dinner?
    Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
    Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
    you out to a nice restaurant.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    so I'd make plenty of ground beef patties and freeze them.

    Quoted message said:

    She would not be able to transform "those things" into burgers.

    So freeze them pre-cooked and all that has to be done is to put them
    in the microwave for 60 seconds or so to heat them up...

    Um, we don't have a microwave. It never moved over with us a year and
    a half ago.

    Also, microwaved pre-cooked burgers are not something she'd eat unless
    she was pretty desperate. I don't think she's had a fast food burger
    in 20 years. Nor has she had any sort of hamburger that was not
    cooked over a flame in just as long.

    --Bryan

  5. "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
    least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

    I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

    Quoted message said:

    Serene
    --
    Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

    We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has
    ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. [Richard
    Dawkins]


    <<Snippy the details>>

    If he likes breakfast for supper perhaps a breakfast casserole (like this
    one http://www.recipezaar.com/32445) would be a nice change perhaps with a
    side of fresh fruit.

    A nice pot of cream of tomato soup frozen in two serving portions and the
    supplies for him to fix a grilled cheese to go with it.

    Meatloaf freezes well and he can always cheat and add a side of "instant"
    mashed potatoes.

    Broccoli and chicken casserole. White sauce base with cheddar and parm,
    broccoli florets, chunked chicken, a cup or so of cooked rice, and
    mushrooms. Freezes well in small disposable aluminum loaf pans so it's just
    a meal for him and not a whole casserole to try and finish off before it
    gets boring. Yes it's old fashioned but hey if it works.

    I've had two similar throat surgeries and was really thankful for a doctor
    who gave me my pain medicine in liquid form so there were no pills to try
    and get down, just a suggestion. And for you tuck away a nice choice of
    frozen fruit, frozen soy yogurt and splash of juice makes a great smoothie
    and it easy on the newly raw throat. Go easy on the juice it can burn. If
    protein intake is a worry you can always add protein powder to your
    smoothies or soups.

    Carbonation is a really bad idea. Since you won't be swallowing as quickly
    or easily as usual it can make it's way up your nose. That was a rude
    awakening no one warned me about.

    Sorry I got off on a tangent there about what might work for you and not all
    what you can freeze for your sweetie. I hope you get lots of ideas that will
    work and keep him well fed.

    Good Luck

    Cindi

  6. "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
    least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

    I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

    Quoted message said:

    Serene
    --
    Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

    We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has
    ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. [Richard
    Dawkins]


    <<Snippy the details>>

    If he likes breakfast for supper perhaps a breakfast casserole (like this
    one http://www.recipezaar.com/32445) would be a nice change perhaps with a
    side of fresh fruit.

    A nice pot of cream of tomato soup frozen in two serving portions and the
    supplies for him to fix a grilled cheese to go with it.

    Meatloaf freezes well and he can always cheat and add a side of "instant"
    mashed potatoes.

    Broccoli and chicken casserole. White sauce base with cheddar and parm,
    broccoli florets, chunked chicken, a cup or so of cooked rice, and
    mushrooms. Freezes well in small disposable aluminum loaf pans so it's just
    a meal for him and not a whole casserole to try and finish off before it
    gets boring. Yes it's old fashioned but hey if it works.

    I've had two similar throat surgeries and was really thankful for a doctor
    who gave me my pain medicine in liquid form so there were no pills to try
    and get down, just a suggestion. And for you tuck away a nice choice of
    frozen fruit, frozen soy yogurt and splash of juice makes a great smoothie
    and it easy on the newly raw throat. Go easy on the juice it can burn. If
    protein intake is a worry you can always add protein powder to your
    smoothies or soups.

    Carbonation is a really bad idea. Since you won't be swallowing as quickly
    or easily as usual it can make it's way up your nose. That was a rude
    awakening no one warned me about.

    Sorry I got off on a tangent there about what might work for you and not all
    what you can freeze for your sweetie. I hope you get lots of ideas that will
    work and keep him well fed.

    Good Luck

    Cindi

  7. Serene said:


    Nancy Young said:

    <snip>

    TMI: My left thyroid lobe is completely taken up by a big tumor.
    The chances that it's cancer are small, but they couldn't tell from
    the biopsy, so it needs to come out. If it's obviously cancer when
    they get in there, they'll take the other one out, too, and I'll be
    on thyroid meds for the rest of my life. Otherwise, I should be fine
    and dandy in a few weeks. I'll have a little less vocal range,
    though -- the nerves for the vocal cords are entwined with the blood
    vessels that supply the thyroid, so they'll get a little banged up
    in the process, but then I'll get most of my voice back, most probably.

    Sounds dire but good luck!

    As for freezable meals, any meat and vegetable stew/thick soup will do.
    Chile freezes well too. We do freeze pasta dishes but the pasta does get
    a little soft upon thawing.

  8. "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    It's pretty serious, but my chances are good; thanks! (If you want to know
    more details, the TMI is at the end of this post, after my .sig quote.)

    Oh, man, I completely misunderstood what you said here.

    Quoted message said:

    TMI: My left thyroid lobe is completely taken up by a big tumor. The
    chances that it's cancer are small, but they couldn't tell from the
    biopsy, so it needs to come out.

    This is serious!

    Quoted message said:

    If it's obviously cancer when they get in there, they'll take the other
    one out, too, and I'll be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life.
    Otherwise, I should be fine and dandy in a few weeks. I'll have a little
    less vocal range, though -- the nerves for the vocal cords are entwined
    with the blood vessels that supply the thyroid, so they'll get a little
    banged up in the process, but then I'll get most of my voice back, most
    probably.

    What an ordeal. I recommend soup. (smile) You'll be in my thoughts.

    nancy

  9. In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> posted on Fri,
    02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:

    Quoted message said:

    Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
    Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
    you out to a nice restaurant.

    I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke about
    it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white albacore tuna,
    a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom (whirled in a blender
    with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed), and I also add some cheese
    of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or spices. I put the potato chips
    (sour cream and onion ones) into a food processor and whirl them around
    until they're crumbs.

    Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole, but I
    love it.

    Damaeus

  10. "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, Gang,

    I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
    least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that. I
    want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end up ordering
    pizza the whole time I'm gone. There's nothing wrong with pizza; he just
    ends up eating pizza and hot dogs for every meal if I am not home to cook
    and there's nothing easy in the house. He's diabetic, and it's best if he
    eats more varied and wholesome foods, in general. He prefers it, too. And
    I like cooking for him, and for the rest of my family and friends.

    What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in fat,
    though that's not the most important thing. Most important things are that
    it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's tasty. Cheap would be a
    bonus, too, as we're kind of strapped, and with a 60/40 insurance plan,
    that's not going to change any time soon. Don't get me started on the
    state of health insurance in this country. *deep breaths*

    Anyway.

    Yesterday, we had a chicken enchilada casserole from that batch I made the
    other week, but those are gone now, so I want to put in at least a couple
    things to tide the family over while I'm on my back (and not in that nice
    way that we like).

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    I sometimes cook up plain chicken breasts for my daughter, seasoning them
    with only salt, pepper and parsley. That way they can be added to a variety
    of foods and seasoned as need be. A quick meal for her would be a chicken
    breast, rice (I buy precooked at Trader Joe's) and a vegetable. But being
    as he is diabetic, he may not be able to do the rice.

    You could do soups or stews. Hamburger stew is inexpensive. And you can
    vary the vegetables depending on how many carbs he can eat.

    Chili is another dish that freezes well. With or without beans. One really
    quick vegetarian recipe is to take three cans of beans (different kinds) one
    can of corn and a large jar of salsa. Mix them together and heat through.
    Add cooked meat to this if you want it less carby. The original recipe was
    served over a bed of rice but since I'm diabetic too, I don't eat the rice.
    Top with cheese, sour cream, guacamole and chopped fresh veggies and herbs
    like cilantro, onion, tomato, etc. Garnish with chips if desired.

    I went through a taco salad phase until I burned myself out on them. Cooked
    up a bunch of ground beef with plenty of chili powder, chopped onions and
    peppers. Portioned it out into individual servings and put it in the
    freezer. You could also do ground turkey or diced chicken if you prefer.
    Come serving time, put the meat in a large bowl and nuke it till hot. Then
    add whatever toppings you like. Obviously the meat will be on the bottom of
    the bowl and the rest on top of it. Sort of upside down but it works. Add
    cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, sour cream, guacamole, salsa,
    beans, chips, etc. Makes a super quick and healthy meal.

    If you have microwavable dishes that are freezer safe, you could do single
    serve casseroles, like tuna and noodles or cottage pie. With the cottage
    pie, use meat, gravy and non starchy vegetables on the bottom layer. The
    top layer of mashed potatoes can be as thin or as thick as you like.

    It's not frozen, but hummus makes a good meal. I eat it quite a lot. A few
    wedges of pita, flat bread or crackers, some olives and plenty of raw
    veggies.

    You might also do up a few large meal type salads before you go. These will
    keep for a few days. Include things like wedges of hard boiled egg, chopped
    meats and cheeses and maybe a few nuts for protein.

    Or you could just have things prepared in the fridge. My husband is a real
    lazy bones and can't be bothered to heat something up let alone cut it up.
    I'll boil a whole carton of eggs at a time, labeling it "hard boiled". I'll
    get a large chunk of cheese and cut it into cubes. Cut up raw veggies and
    put them in a container. Stuff like that.

  11. "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Serene said:

    What are you favorite freezable meals?

    Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)

    Actually when I lived on the East Coast, I used to buy those On Cor meals
    from time to time. They were cheap, quick to fix and some of them weren't
    too bad. I can't say I liked all of them. But they were not bad for a
    frozen meal. I also like the stuffed peppers from Stouffers.

    For meatballs, I think I usually bought Hormel. Not sure if you can get
    them in civilian stores. I bought them at the military commissary. My
    Italian inlaws thought I made them from scratch. I did make the sauce from
    scratch.

  12. Oh pshaw, on Fri 02 Nov 2007 08:46:57a, Serene meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, Gang,

    I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for
    at least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after
    that.

    The very best of luck with your surgery, Serene. I can't really offer any
    suggestions, as I never freeze dishes for later heating/cooking. I only
    freeze raw ingredients. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions from
    others here.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    (to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)
    ______________________________________________________________

    Reality is nothing but a collective hunch.

  13. Julie Bove said:

    "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Serene said:

    What are you favorite freezable meals?

    Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)

    Actually when I lived on the East Coast, I used to buy those On Cor meals
    from time to time. They were cheap, quick to fix and some of them weren't
    too bad. I can't say I liked all of them. But they were not bad for a
    frozen meal. I also like the stuffed peppers from Stouffers.

    I've had a couple of the ON-Cor (roast beef & gravy, Salisbury
    steak, etc...) - they're like 2.5lbs of food (mostly gravy) for
    $2 here.

    While they're cheap, they can't beat the taste of most of the
    Stouffers line of boil-in-bag entrees. Stouffer's sweedish
    meatballs are my favorite, Ikea's suck compared to Stouffers.

    -sw

  14. Sqwertz said:
    Serene said:

    What are you favorite freezable meals?

    Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)

    -sw

    I love those!

    I like the Bertolli asparagus and shrimp in tomato cream sauce with
    pasta bags in the freezer section on nights that I have no time to cook.

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  15. Julie Bove said:

    "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Serene said:

    What are you favorite freezable meals?


    Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)

    Actually when I lived on the East Coast, I used to buy those On Cor meals
    from time to time. They were cheap, quick to fix and some of them weren't
    too bad. I can't say I liked all of them. But they were not bad for a
    frozen meal. I also like the stuffed peppers from Stouffers.

    For meatballs, I think I usually bought Hormel. Not sure if you can get
    them in civilian stores. I bought them at the military commissary. My
    Italian inlaws thought I made them from scratch. I did make the sauce from
    scratch.

    The hormel meatballs are good.

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  16. Nancy Young said:

    What an ordeal. I recommend soup. (smile) You'll be in my thoughts.

    Thanks!

    MMMmmmmmm, souuuuuup. :-)

    Serene, soup fiend

    --
    Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as
    are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my
    neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither
    picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

  17. "Damaeus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> posted on Fri,
    02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:

    Quoted message said:

    Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
    Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
    you out to a nice restaurant.

    I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke about
    it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white albacore
    tuna,
    a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom (whirled in a
    blender
    with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed), and I also add some cheese
    of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or spices. I put the potato chips
    (sour cream and onion ones) into a food processor and whirl them around
    until they're crumbs.

    Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole, but I
    love it.

    I put peas in mine. Can't do the cream soup any more because of food
    allergies. I made a sauce of chopped mushrooms, onion and celery. I cook
    them till soft then add some sweet rice flour and water to make it more
    creamy. Season with salt, pepper and parsley. I also can't use regular
    paasta. Have to use quinoa, rice or corn pasta. I think quinoa tastes the
    best with the tuna.

    I don't put the chips on mine because we usually have leftover and it gets
    soggy. I just serve it with them.

  18. "Damaeus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> posted on Fri,
    02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:

    Quoted message said:

    Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
    Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
    you out to a nice restaurant.

    I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke about
    it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white albacore
    tuna,
    a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom (whirled in a
    blender
    with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed), and I also add some cheese
    of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or spices. I put the potato chips
    (sour cream and onion ones) into a food processor and whirl them around
    until they're crumbs.

    Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole

    No, it is not.

    , but I

    Quoted message said:

    love it.

    That's the important thing.

    I like to use fresh ingredients--milk and cheese, not canned soups and no
    potato chips ... if I ate stuff that salty I'd blow up into something that
    looks
    like Sheldon. *shudder*

  19. "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    I have no food recommendations, Serene, but best of health in your surgery
    and overnight stay. I hope you recover fast.

    Dee Dee

  20. Damaeus said:

    In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> posted on
    Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:

    Quoted message said:

    Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
    Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
    you out to a nice restaurant.

    I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke
    about it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white
    albacore tuna, a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom
    (whirled in a blender with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed),
    and I also add some cheese of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or
    spices. I put the potato chips (sour cream and onion ones) into a
    food processor and whirl them around until they're crumbs.

    Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole,
    but I love it.

    Damaeus

    I'm glad you love it 😉 I wouldn't waste money on fancy Albacore tuna only
    to add it to canned soups mixed with milk, but that's just me.

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.