General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Frozen perogies

Started by Ruddell · · Last activity · 42 posts · 1,107 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 February 2005
Last activity
7 February 2005
Original author
Ruddell
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,107
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, George
    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    (snip)

    Quoted message said:

    There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
    Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

    Lower Manhattan?

    Yes, W. Village.

    Quoted message said:

    We missed it, Bubba Vic!

    Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
    and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
    Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
    are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

    Bubba

  2. On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:53:44 +0100, [email hidden] (Victor Sack)

    Quoted message said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, George
    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    (snip)

    Quoted message said:

    There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
    Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

    Lower Manhattan?

    Yes, W. Village.

    Quoted message said:

    We missed it, Bubba Vic!

    Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
    and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
    Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
    are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

    Bubba

    This place sounds awfully nice. I have not had decent pelmeni since a
    favorite hole-in-the-wall place on upper Madison closed years ago. I
    will be in Manhattan tomorrow and will try to get down there.

    Boron

  3. Victor Sack said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, George
    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    (snip)

    Quoted message said:

    There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
    Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

    Lower Manhattan?

    Yes, W. Village.

    Quoted message said:

    We missed it, Bubba Vic!

    Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
    and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
    Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
    are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

    Bubba

    The place is on 190 Bleeker Street. I keep planning to go there, but
    have never done so. :o(

    If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get some
    for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does not eat
    pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat them all
    myself. Not such a bad thought. :o)

  4. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, George
    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    (snip)

    Quoted message said:

    Agree about the commercial ones. We don't live very far from the Mrs
    T's factory and there isn't much you can do to make them more than
    "industrial" quality.

    Quoted message said:

    There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
    Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

    Lower Manhattan? We missed it, Bubba Vic!

    No, 2 states over. But I will be in Manhattan next week and will check
    out the one in the West Village as noted further along in the thread.

  5. Margaret Suran at [email hidden] wrote on 2/5/05 8:54 AM:

    Quoted message said:
    Victor Sack said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, George
    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    (snip)

    > There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
    > Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

    Lower Manhattan?

    Yes, W. Village.

    Quoted message said:

    We missed it, Bubba Vic!

    Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
    and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
    Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
    are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

    Bubba

    The place is on 190 Bleeker Street. I keep planning to go there, but
    have never done so. :o(

    If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get some
    for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does not eat
    pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat them all
    myself. Not such a bad thought. :o)

    I would love to help you eat pierogies, Margaret.
    DIdn't we go to a pierogi palace on First Avenue, not far from the Veselka
    Coffee Shop, somewhere in the teens? Those were delicious!

    Now I'm craving pierogies.

  6. On Sat 05 Feb 2005 08:55:37a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made them
    with kraut?

    Michael


    I'm pretty sure Barb makes them with kraut.

    Wayne

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, Dog3

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Now I'm craving pierogies.

    This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made
    them with kraut?
    Michael

    You mean besides me? :-)
    I had a note from Rona -- she made potato-filled pirohy yesterday.
    Perfectly triangular they are, too, Bubba . :-p
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
    "I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
    Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

  8. Dog3 said:
    Quoted message said:

    Now I'm craving pierogies.

    This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made them
    with kraut?

    My introduction to perogies was the home cooking of the mother of a friend of
    mine who made the with sauerkraut. It set the standard for me.

  9. Margaret Suran said:

    Victor Sack wrote:

    [Pop's Pierogi]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
    and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
    Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
    are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

    The place is on 190 Bleeker Street. I keep planning to go there, but
    have never done so. :o(

    If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get some
    for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does not eat
    pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat them all
    myself. Not such a bad thought. :o)

    You can get very good pierogi at that little hole-in-the-wall Ukrainian
    place on 1st Ave. I'm ashamed to confess that we forgot the ones you
    bought us in the freezer in our apartment. :-((( When we returned to
    Texas, I was tempted to turn around and fly back to NY to pick them
    up...

    So, at Pop's Pierogi it is better to get what they are most familiar
    with, namely pelmeni (Siberian, for preference). If you are going to
    take them home, try to get them to sell you frozen pelmeni, which you
    can then boil at your leisure. The same applies to khinkali. You can
    also get pirozki (little pies, meat-filled for preference) which can
    also be eaten cold. As to chebureki and kutaby, they are best eaten
    freshly-made, in situ. They are also kinds of savoury pies, not
    dumplings. Also, they are large and flat - one or two constitute a
    serving. Perhaps Marcel will like them - take him along.

    Bubba

  10. Melba's Jammin said:

    I had a note from Rona -- she made potato-filled pirohy yesterday.
    Perfectly triangular they are, too, Bubba . :-p

    Eternal shame on her!

    Bubba

  11. Dog3 said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    >Now I'm craving pierogies.

    This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made
    them with kraut?
    Michael

    You mean besides me? :-)
    I had a note from Rona -- she made potato-filled pirohy yesterday.
    Perfectly triangular they are, too, Bubba . :-p

    Do you put anything else besides the kraut in them?

    Michael

    My aunt was the pierogie maker in my family. She made the filling by
    sauteing the kraut with onions, chopped mushrooms and black pepper. I
    think she probably used bacon or pork fat.

    She also made a version with maybe 50-50 kraut and chopped cabbage.

  12. Dog3 said:


    Quoted message said:


    My aunt was the pierogie maker in my family. She made the filling by
    sauteing the kraut with onions, chopped mushrooms and black pepper. I
    think she probably used bacon or pork fat.

    She also made a version with maybe 50-50 kraut and chopped cabbage.

    Oh Gawd that sounds delicious. All you people and killing me over here with
    these mouth watering fixings.

    Michael

    Then there were the sweet versions. We used to pick wild blueberries and
    she would make incredible blueberry filled pierogies.

  13. Sheryl Rosen said:

    Margaret Suran at [email hidden] wrote on 2/5/05
    8:54 AM:

    Quoted message said:


    If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get
    some for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does
    not eat pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat
    them all myself. Not such a bad thought. :o)

    I would love to help you eat pierogies, Margaret. DIdn't we go to a
    pierogi palace on First Avenue, not far from the Veselka Coffee
    Shop, somewhere in the teens? Those were delicious!

    Now I'm craving pierogies.

    I didn't get there. The buses were on a Saturday schedule and it
    would have taken me all day to get back and forth.

    Let's go to Pop's the next time you get the day off!!! There must be
    a semi-holiday coming up, otherwise we could plan to get together with
    our Saturday Friends and have lunch there as soon as the weather gets
    better.

    The other place we went to is on First Avenue right off St. Marks
    Place. The Veselka is on Second Avenue, two blocks south of the 2nd
    Ave. Deli. Both have good take out pierogi, but Pop's are supposed to
    be much better. M

  14. Dog3 said:

    Melba's Jammin' <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:barbschaller- [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Dog3

    Quoted message said:

    > Now I'm craving pierogies.

    This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has
    anyone made them with kraut? Michael

    You mean besides me? :-) I had a note from Rona -- she made
    potato-filled pirohy yesterday. Perfectly triangular they are,
    too, Bubba . :-p

    Do you put anything else besides the kraut in them?

    Michael

    Michael, after you eat Barbara's pierogi, even though they are
    triangular, you will be disappointed in most others. Her dough melts
    in your mouth and the fillings are very special.

    Does she put anything besides the kraut in them, you ask. Just part
    of herself, the little secret ingredient called "love".

  15. Victor Sack said:

    Margaret Suran <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [Pop's Pierogi]

    Quoted message said:

    You can get very good pierogi at that little hole-in-the-wall
    Ukrainian place on 1st Ave. I'm ashamed to confess that we forgot
    the ones you bought us in the freezer in our apartment. :-(((
    When we returned to Texas, I was tempted to turn around and fly
    back to NY to pick them up...

    So, at Pop's Pierogi it is better to get what they are most
    familiar with, namely pelmeni (Siberian, for preference). If you
    are going to take them home, try to get them to sell you frozen
    pelmeni, which you can then boil at your leisure. The same applies
    to khinkali. You can also get pirozki (little pies, meat-filled
    for preference) which can also be eaten cold. As to chebureki and
    kutaby, they are best eaten freshly-made, in situ. They are also
    kinds of savoury pies, not dumplings. Also, they are large and
    flat - one or two constitute a serving. Perhaps Marcel will like
    them - take him along.

    The Tripe Soup was what I liked best from that little Ukrainian Place.
    The pierogis were nice, but the dough was not as good as the one
    that Barbara makes.

    I will go to Pop's as soon as a find the time.

    As for forgetting the ones in the freezer, I believe you already told
    me about it. Even if you had remembered to take them, they would be
    long gone by now. :o) You probably have some good places in
    Duesseldorf for Pierogis and such other delicacies. M

  16. Sheryl Rosen said:

    Margaret Suran at [email hidden] wrote on 2/5/05


    8:54 AM:

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Victor Sack said:

    Melba's Jammin' <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > In article <[email hidden]>, George
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >
    >> There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like


    "Pops

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good


    pierogies.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    > Lower Manhattan?

    Yes, W. Village.

    > We missed it, Bubba Vic!

    Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian


    pelmeni

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek


    samsa,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings.


    There

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

    Bubba

    The place is on 190 Bleeker Street. I keep planning to go there,


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have never done so. :o(

    If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does not eat
    pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat them all
    myself. Not such a bad thought. :o)

    I would love to help you eat pierogies, Margaret.
    DIdn't we go to a pierogi palace on First Avenue, not far from the


    Veselka

    Quoted message said:

    Coffee Shop, somewhere in the teens? Those were delicious!

    Now I'm craving pierogies.

    on first avenue in the village there is christine's and teresa's. both
    make excellent pierogies, whichever way you like them.

  17. nadiarosina said:


    on first avenue in the village there is christine's and teresa's. both
    make excellent pierogies, whichever way you like them.

    Thank You, I have eaten at Christine's, but that was many years ago.
    I have never been to Teresa's, but I certainly may eat there, if the
    opportunity arises. If I do, I will report back to all. M

    Quoted message said:
  18. Dog3 said:

    Margaret Suran <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Dog3 said:

    Melba's Jammin' <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>Now I'm craving pierogies.
    >>
    >>This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has
    >>anyone made them with kraut? Michael
    >
    >You mean besides me? :-) I had a note from Rona -- she made
    >potato-filled pirohy yesterday. Perfectly triangular they are,
    >too, Bubba . :-p

    Do you put anything else besides the kraut in them?


    Michael, after you eat Barbara's pierogi, even though they are
    triangular, you will be disappointed in most others. Her dough melts
    in your mouth and the fillings are very special.

    Does she put anything besides the kraut in them, you ask. Just part
    of herself, the little secret ingredient called "love".

    You are both very similar in the 'love' aspect. I adore you both. Now Barb
    will have to make pierogi for the next brunch, if you have one.
    Michael

    Start working on Barbara to make the trip again. As often as she can
    make it here, that is how often I will have a brunch in her honor.

    She does not have to bring pierogi, just herself. :o) As for you,
    Marcel casa will be you casa, of course.

  19. Victor Sack said:

    Margaret Suran <[email hidden]> wrote

    You probably have some good places in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Duesseldorf for Pierogis and such other delicacies. M

    Unfortunately, not. There is not a single Polish restaurant in
    Düsseldorf.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, I shall never forgive you for cheating me out of a check at
    that restaurant. For those still not familiar with Margaret, I
    officially declare her to be thoroughly dishonourable and
    untrustworthy. I was the one who invited her and all the others in
    our party to the restaurant, with the implied understanding that I
    would be paying for the dinner. Yet, when the bill came, Margaret
    as always insisted on paying it, got out a credit card and tried to
    hand it to the waitress. Just in time, I lunged forward and got
    hold of her card. A long, hard, violent and bloody struggle
    ensued, but the forces of goodness finally prevailed and I managed
    to confiscate her card, with bits of her nails and skin still
    clinging to it. Exhausted, I settled back to catch my breath.
    Quick as a lightning, Margaret drew out *another* card and handed
    it to a passing waiter, leaving me with no chance to do anything.
    Sneaky and shameful, simply shameful! Just ask Barb, one of the
    witnesses.

    Bubba, Marcel and I had to do it in self defense. Up to that point
    you had taken care of every restaurant bill.

    Bubba, I miss you very much. But this is something I will discuss
    away from the news group, it is of no interest to anybody else.

    Tomorrow is Fasching. Do people in Germany and Austria still eat
    Faschingskrapfen for this holiday? Here, starting with Lent, Hot
    Cross Buns will be featured in all the neighborhood bakeries. M

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Victor Sack) said:
    Margaret Suran said:

    The Tripe Soup was what I liked best from that little Ukrainian Place.
    The pierogis were nice, but the dough was not as good as the one
    that Barbara makes.

    Barb doesn't make 'em with meat. Anyway, she is not in any way
    deserving, especially not of that very tasty tripe soup. Whenever you
    turned, she was fishing out pieces of tripe from her plate and putting
    them into yours. Such an uncouth and even scandalous behaviour, don't
    you agree? Especially, as she could have been putting those pieces just
    as easily in *my* plate instead!

    Quoted message said:

    As for forgetting the ones in the freezer, I believe you already told
    me about it. Even if you had remembered to take them, they would be
    long gone by now. :o) You probably have some good places in
    Duesseldorf for Pierogis and such other delicacies. M

    Unfortunately, not. There is not a single Polish restaurant in
    Düsseldorf or vicinity, the nearest one being in Aachen. There is one
    Russian restaurant here and another that is Russian-Caucasian, but their
    pelmeni are not very good, resembling the ones we had at the Russian
    Samovar. They may or may not be home-made, but they definitely taste
    like an industrial product.

    BTW, I shall never forgive you for cheating me out of a check at that
    restaurant.
    For those still not familiar with Margaret, I officially declare her to
    be thoroughly dishonourable and untrustworthy. I was the one who
    invited her and all the others in our party to the restaurant, with the
    implied understanding that I would be paying for the dinner. Yet, when
    the bill came, Margaret as always insisted on paying it, got out a
    credit card and tried to hand it to the waitress. Just in time, I
    lunged forward and got hold of her card. A long, hard, violent and
    bloody struggle ensued, but the forces of goodness finally prevailed and
    I managed to confiscate her card, with bits of her nails and skin still
    clinging to it. Exhausted, I settled back to catch my breath. Quick as
    a lightning, Margaret drew out *another* card and handed it to a passing
    waiter, leaving me with no chance to do anything. Sneaky and shameful,
    simply shameful! Just ask Barb, one of the witnesses.

    Bubba

    My corroborating story goes to the highest bidder.
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
    "I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
    Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.